Home

The Resurrection of Sonoma State

This is a discussion on The Resurrection of Sonoma State within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer Updates?
full article for each week through the season 44 67.69%
brief stats/summary, article updates 4x per season 21 32.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #801
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: (2022) Offseason: Spring Football News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
New Look, New Faces, New Schemes: A Look at the Sonoma State Football Spring Game
The Seawolves see multiple changes heading into 2023, and leave a lot of questions at the end of Spring Football | A look into what next season will bring

By Lisa Wheeler, Football Beat Writer
Posted April 17th, 2023

Rohnert Park, CA - Spring Football came to a conclusion yesterday with the annual Blue & White game at Lakeside Stadium, and the match left many wondering how successful the Seawolves would be in 2023. The team has seen a lot of changes, and were here to take a look.

New Look
At the forefront of the show was the indication that Sonoma State will have new uniforms in 2023. Although the spring game was played in practice jerseys, the offense was wearing navy blue and the defense was in white. Over the past decade, the offense has worn the light blue shade that everyone has come to know. The offense was wearing the traditional white helmet, but the defense was in a new, navy blue helmet. Sonoma State last wore navy blue helmets in the 1990’s, in the days of Larry Allen and up until 1996, when the program was discontinued. Coach Wright said the team will have new uniforms, inspired by those of the 1990’s and before it. Although the uniform is yet to be revealed, Wright said “We still have a combination allowing our light blues and whites, as most people recognize. We no longer, however, have the light blue helmets. We have two sets, white and navy, that’s it. We are still working out the kinks on design, but uniforms this year will have an inspiration from teams of the past.” 2023 marks Sonoma State’s 10th anniversary as full FBS members, as they were in a transition in 2013.

What’s hot: The running game
With the departure of quarterback Mike Jennings, the Seawolves may need to lean on their running game. It looks like they could easily do that, as A.C. Sonora and Alika Kalama both shined in the spring game. Sonora came into the game at a bulked up 220 pounds, and is looking to have the makings of a versatile power running back. Kalama, on the other hand, came in looking quicker than ever. He appears to have picked up even more speed in the offseason.

What’s not: Quarterbacks
The only returning quarterback on the roster from 2022 is Brice Houston. Although he has excellent targets in Dietrich Highland and Damien Myers, he does not seem to command the same passing respect we have seen the past few years. He looked decent in spring ball, but struggled with his accuracy. Incoming freshman Wesson Havenkamp, who came to campus a semester early, looked terrible. Havenkamp missed a lot of passes in the spring game, and it looked like he was butting heads with coaches. Havenkamp was seen yelling at offensive coordinator Brian Givens, and eventually kicked off the field by head coach Scott Wright with just one series remaining in the game. Houston finished the spring game playing quarterback for both teams. It leaves a lot of questions regarding Havenkamp’s character, and whether or not he will be the big shot many expect. Havenkamp yelled back at coaches “I’m a [expletive] redshirt, you’re redshirting me, got it!?” Coach Wright refused to comment on the incident after the game.

Breakout Star: Receiver Johnny Ridgeway
Ridgeway was a redshirt in 2022, and got a lot of action at the slot receiver position in the spring game. He is our pick as the breakout star in 2023. He has great size and speed, and always seems to find a way to get open. He had 7 catches during the spring game, for 113 yards and 2 touchdowns.

New Defense
The Seawolves operated in a 4-3 defense for the entire spring game, as it looks like they have scrapped the 3-4 from 2022 that allowed some big holes in the running game. The Seawolves have a strong defensive line, which may be a catalyst for the change. Jeff Johnson, a middle linebacker the past three years, saw a lot of reps at outside linebacker. He may make the move outside to see the field more as a senior.

Other Changes
The Seawolves will have a new face at tight end to replace the departed Brent Keystone. It looks like the man for the job is junior Martee Smith. Smith had a limited role in 2022 as a juco transfer, but did well. He hauled in 11 catches for 176 yards, and has exceptional speed for the position.

The secondary also sees a lot of movement, as the entire starting group graduated. Sophomores Scott Evans and Mike Crawford appear to be the starters at cornerback, while juniors Paul Roth and Ryan Jones are at the safety positions. Evans was an All-American as a freshman in 2022, while Crawford was a redshirt. Roth and Jones were backups to Ryan Parker and All-American Dee Foster, respectively. The secondary had several miscommunications, and gave up some big plays.

Worth noting, no player was wearing number 5. Ryan Newhall, the best receiver in school and arguably NCAA History, wore the number his entire career. It is widely speculated that the number is set to be retired.

In all, there were a lot of changes for spring as the Seawolves prepare for the 2023 season. With a long wait for fall camp, there will be a lot of speculation if the Seawolves can field a successful team.
Love the QB battle and the building of character!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #802
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Re: (2022) Offseason: Spring Football News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyKing80
Love the QB battle and the building of character!
Thanks bro! Havenkamp has turned out to be a bit of an entitled jerk

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #803
All Star

beast10's Arena

OVR: 36
The Resurrection of Sonoma State

should be an interesting season

your squad looks a lot like my current cathedral team. pretty good team but hen a bunch of inexperienced quarterbacks whose performance you’ll live and die from on a weekly basis. we could have our ground game working, but if the pass isn’t there, we’re in trouble.

i would say hopefully you can piece it together, but this will probably be a good opportunity for you to revive the challenge in this. also hyped about the new uniforms. i know that was the major turning point for me in my dynasty

i’ll stay tuned as usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by beast10; 08-07-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #804
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Re: The Resurrection of Sonoma State

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast10
should be an interesting season

your squad looks a lot like my current cathedral team. pretty good team but hen a bunch of inexperienced quarterbacks whose performance you’ll live and die from on a weekly basis. we could have our ground game working, but if the pass isn’t there, we’re in trouble.

i would say hopefully you can piece it together, but this will probably be a good opportunity for you to revive the challenge in this. also hyped about the new uniforms. i know that was the major turning point for me in my dynasty

i’ll stay tuned as usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank bro, glad you're on board! I know as a gamer it can get a bit dull going through such successful seasons with back-to-back titles, and I can only imagine it is even more boring for someone following lol. Your Cathedral one is awesome, it's amazing you have kept such a good challenge.

I welcome the new challenges, especially at quarterback and with the new sliders. 2023 should be an interesting one for sure. I'm excited to debut some new uniforms. I think eventually I may go back to my old ones, the striping and look is just refined and classic looking, but I'm really happy to change it up.

Thank you for checking in, I'm excited to get it going.

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #805
MVP

OVR: 10

I finally got caught up, congrats on the Natty! I haven’t won achampionship in years on this game cuz for some reason I enjoy losing? Haha either way, your presentation has really taken off and it’s super easy to keep up with.

That defensive line looks fierce and I think the move to the 4-3 is the best thing for the Seawolves because that offense is goin to be suspect this year.

As I’m sure you don’t suspect another title, what would you consider a strong season with a freshman QB but experience everywhere else? 10-2? 9-3?

Looking forward to more!

My Pennsylvania A&T Baseball Dynasty (MVP NCAA 06)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #806
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsheen
I finally got caught up, congrats on the Natty! I haven’t won achampionship in years on this game cuz for some reason I enjoy losing? Haha either way, your presentation has really taken off and it’s super easy to keep up with.

That defensive line looks fierce and I think the move to the 4-3 is the best thing for the Seawolves because that offense is goin to be suspect this year.

As I’m sure you don’t suspect another title, what would you consider a strong season with a freshman QB but experience everywhere else? 10-2? 9-3?

Looking forward to more!
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words! I've had a lot of time recently to work on presentation, and I'm happy to get feedback on it. I'm still working out some kinks for the game previews to clean it up a bit.

I'm definitely more comfortable in a 4-3, so I have high hopes for it. I am happy to get Jeff Johnson in the action more. As for the season, I can see 8 wins being considered a success considering all the changes and freshman QB's. Anything else I would consider overachieving, which isn't bad obviously lol.

Thank you for catching up and for the feedback man!

Got the game done, update incoming!

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #807
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

(2023) Week 1: #2 Sonoma State @ #19 Arizona State

The Backs Keep Runnin Runnin & Runnin Runnin: #2 Seawolves Rely on the Running Game to Defeat #19 Arizona State 45-41
Seawolves mount game winning drive to avoid a road upset | A.C. Sonora plays the hero with 5 total touchdowns | Sonora and Kalama combine for a staggering 300 yards | Seawolves defense still looks to be porous against the run, giving up 332 yards | Quarterback controversy swirls as Houston gets pulled in the 3rd quarter

By Trent Hatmenn, Football Beat Writer
Posted August 26th, 2023

A.C. Sonora celebrates his first touchdown of the year with his teammates, the first of 5 on the day for him

Tempe, AZ - It wasn’t pretty, nor was it easy, and it actually was a stressful situation for anyone watching, but the Seawolves pulled off consecutive win number 42 on the road. The game showed some serious strengths, but also big weak spots in the Sonoma State team. Meanwhile, Arizona State looked to be worthy of their #19 overall ranking coming into the season.

The first quarter was slow for both teams, with missed blocks and penalties resulting in an early defensive battle. It’s to be expected in the first game of the season, as both teams learn on the go. Sonoma State scrapped together a short drive from the Arizona State 46, getting into the endzone in 8 plays. Otherwise, the entire quarter was uneventful.

The second, however, was much different. Arizona State bullied their way 92 yards down the field in just four plays, as the offense ate up yards in gulps. They capped it with a touchdown pass from Paul Morton to Antonio Thompson to tie things up.

The offensive floodgates looked like they were now open, as the Seawolves drove to the Sun Devil 1 yard line. It was short lived though, as the Seawolves sputtered. A 4th and goal effort was stuffed, and the Seawolves left without points. Sonora, however, had other plans on the next drive. He gathered career long, a 36 yard run down to the Sun Devil 1 yard line. He punched it in on the next play for a 14-7 lead. It didn’t last long though, as the Sun Devils’ Andrew Tucker took the next handoff 75 yards for a touchdown to knot it up again.

Sonoma State, who had leaned on the run to this point, decided to try their hand going to the air. The results were disastrous for quarterback Brice Houston. He was intercepted, which resulted in an Arizona State field goal. He missed two passes on his next drive for a punt. Then, after hitting tight end Martee Smith for 31 yards, his next pass was intercepted again. Arizona State took a 17-14 lead into the locker room.

The Seawolves started the second half with a big bang. Safety Paul Roth jetted into the backfield to catch what was supposed to be an option toss to Ryan Hargrove. The play set the Seawolves up at the Sun Devil 18, and two quick runs by Alika Kalama put them in the endzone for a 21-17 lead. Unfazed by the mistake, Arizona State drove right down the field. On 3rd and 14, Morton hit receiver Jesse Hill for a 35 yard touchdown on blown coverage to retake the lead, 24-21.

Brice Houston’s next pass was intercepted by linebacker Adam Anderson, which set up another Arizona State field goal making it 27-21. It was Houston’s last pass on the day, as he was pulled from the game afterward.

True freshman Zach Bishop came in at quarterback for Sonoma State. Although he primary dished the ball to Sonora and Kalama, he directed a drive down the field. He went 2/2 on an 8 play, 75 yard drive which Sonora capped with yet another touchdown to take a 28-27 lead. The lead change apparently stressed the Sun Devil offense, and Morton tossed another errant option which was pounced on by Sonoma State’s Bo Downing. Bishop found his first collegiate touchdown pass two plays later, tossing a screen pass to A.C. Sonora who took it 36 yards for a touchdown. Sonoma State was now up 35-27.

Once again, Arizona State fought back. Morton timed a perfect toss on the option this time, giving running back Michael King a clear path to the endzone for a 42 yard touchdown. Once again, however, the pace of the game shifted. The defense stepped up to stop a two point conversion, and both offenses sputtered. Arizona State’s Paul Morton took matters into his own hands in the 4th quarter. He took an option keeper 10 yards for a touchdown with just 3:12 remaining. After a successful two point conversion, the Sun Devils were up 41-38.

Sonoma State needed a big drive if they had a hope of winning, and Alika Kalama delivered. On 2nd and two, he spun and fought off defenders for a 36 yard run to put Sonoma State within field goal range. A.C. Sonora then decided to put it away. On 2nd and 8, he took a stretch right, zigged and zagged, and found the end zone from 9 yards out. The 8 play drive spanned 79 yards and gave the Seawolves a 45-41 advantage with just 25 seconds left. The Sun Devils managed to move into range for a hail mary pass, but it was intercepted by true freshman David Lott to seal the win.

“We have a lot to work on, that’s for sure,” said Coach Wright. “I’m happy with the running game, but the passing game has some question marks,” he said of the offense. The running game was a crutch, but a good one. Sonora and Kalama combined for 300 yards on the day, with both gathering over 100. “They were phenomenal, everything we expected. We need to work out the rest though,” he said. Wright was not so quick to announce that Bishop was the new starter. “Well, we will see. It was limited action, and Brice [Houston] was definitely off. We’ll continue to analyze the situation,” said Wright.

Quick Notes
-Sonora and Kalama combined for 300 yards and both had career long runs of 36 yards
-Sonoma State forced 4 turnovers, but gave away three of their own
-Sonoma State’s receivers had just 6 catches combined

A Look Ahead
It’s a short week, as the Seawolves will return home to face Oregon at home. The programs last met in 2021, when Sonoma State traveled to Eugene. The then #8 Seawolves took the win, 28-21 over then #13 Oregon. Next week completes their home-and-home series, where Oregon looks for revenge.

Photo Gallery

ASU’s FB Andrew Tucker breaks right through the middle for a 75 yard touchdown

RB A.C. Sonora puts on the moves on this career long 36 yard run in the first half

Paul Roth is credited with a fumble recovery after essentially intercepting a toss on the option. The play set up an Alika Kalama touchdown to give the Seawolves a 21-17 lead in the 3rd

Blown coverage allowed ASU’s Jesse Hill to get wide open in the endzone to take a 24-21 lead

SSU’s QB Brice Houston throws his hands up in frustration after throwing his third interception on the day. He was pulled from the game afterward, and left wondering if he has a job next week

SSU CB Bo Downing goes all out to recover a fumbled pitch by ASU’s Paul Morton. It gave the Seawolves the ball back right after they took a 28-27 lead

QB Zach Bishop draws defenders in and dumps the screen pass to Sonora

Sonora catches the screen and finds a lane to the endzone for a touchdown, giving Bishop his first ever passing touchdown

ASU’s Michael King takes a well timed option toss 42 yards to the endzone

Seawolves CB Scott Evan’s gets a 4th quarter interception to set up a field goal, making it 38-33

MLB Howard Wyatt celebrates a 4th quarter sack with DT Marques George. The sack eventually set up a 3rd and long, but the Sun Devils converted and scored on the drive

RB Alika Kalama also had moves, and matched Sonora's career high with one of his own for the same 36 yards. Kalama's came on the game winning drive for the Seawolves

A.C. Sonora gets a perfect kickout block from FB Ashton Bailey to find the endzone, taking a 45-41 lead with just 25 seconds to go

True freshman CB David Lott, playing the dime position, gets his first career interception by picking off Arizona State’s Hail Mary

Box Score

Sonoma State Seawolves at Arizona State Sun Devils
Aug 26, 20231ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
#2 Sonoma State Seawolves (1-0)77211045
#19 Arizona State Sun Devils (0-1)01716841
Team Stats Comparison
SSUASU
Total Offense434503
Rushing Yards279332
Passing Yards155171
First Downs1813
Punt Return Yards350
Kick Return Yards1610
Total Yards630503
Turnovers3 (3 int)4 (2 fum, 2 int)
3rd Down Conversion6/134/11
4th Down Conversion0/10/0
2-Point Conversion0/01/2
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals5/0 (83%)2/1 (100%)
Penalties2/155/49
Possession Time23:1512:45
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGSSUASU
4:08(SSU) TD: A. Sonora, 2 yard run70
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGSSUASU
8:23(ASU) TD: A. Thompson, 7 yard pass from P. Morton77
4:01(SSU) TD: A. Sonora, 1 yard run147
3:50(ASU) TD: A. Tucker, 75 yard run1414
1:46(ASU) FG: K. Gatewood, 33 yard field goal1417
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGSSUASU
8:28(SSU) TD: A. Kalama, 8 yard run2117
7:06(ASU) TD: J. Hill, 35 yard pass from P. Morton2124
5:23(ASU) FG: K. Gatewood, 45 yard field goal2127
1:25(SSU) TD: A. Sonora, 1 yard run2827
0:46(SSU) TD: A. Sonora, 36 yard pass from Z. Bishop3527
0:00(ASU) TD: M. King, 42 yard run (2 point failed)3533
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGSSUASU
5:24(SSU) FG: D. Hardin, 45 yard field goal3833
3:12(ASU) TD: P. Morton, 10 yard run (2 point good)3841
0:24(SSU) TD: A. Sonora, 9 yard run4541
Sonoma State Seawolves
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Z. Bishop4/76010
B. Houston9/169503
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
A. Sonora281726.14
A. Kalama181287.11
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
D. Highland5306.00
A. Sonora45614.01
A. Bailey22412.00
M. Smith13131.00
J. Ridgeway11414.00
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
S. Evans8010
H. Wyatt71.000
J. Johnson5000
S. Crowell5000
M. Crawford3000
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
D. Hardin1/16/6945
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
R. Williams310133.61
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
D. Myers516132.20
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
D. Myers33511.60
Arizona State Sun Devils
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
P. Morton11/1717122
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
M. King161418.81
P. Morton14271.91
A. Tucker516533.01
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
R. Hargrove3227.30
M. King2136.50
J. Hill28341.51
M. McQueen22613.00
K. Williams12020.00
A. Thompson177.01
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
I. Jenkins112.000
C. Thomas8010
A. Dotson81.000
J. Morris5010
A. Ander4010
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
K. Gatewood2/33/3946
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
Z. Jefferson312541.60

Sonoma State Seawolves 2022 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Aug 26at #19 Arizona StateWon, 45-41
Sep 1vs Oregon
Sep 16at #1 Oklahoma
Sep 23vs Oklahoma State
Sep 30at Fresno State (Rivalry game)
Oct 14at Boise State
Oct 21at Kansas
Oct 28at #4 TCU
Nov 4vs San Diego State (Rivalry)
Nov 11at Texas Tech
Nov 18vs #6 Texas
Nov 25vs Baylor

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 08-08-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #808
MVP

young22's Arena

Nice dub. Passing game was bad as expected, but maybe Sonora and Kalama will be able to carry you guys after all. Didn't expect them to carry the load like that. Like the new jerseys as well!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by young22; 08-08-2018 at 12:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »