Home

***The Official Football Manager Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official Football Manager Thread*** within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #3697
MVP

Blaze125's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: ***The Official Football Manager Thread***

So, I suck at this game. And make things even more difficult on myself by starting in the lower leagues as a Sunday League Player and unemployed. Seeing as how I've never played Soccer before in my life, and don't know too much of the game outside of what I've learned from played FM12, I don't have a lot of expectations for myself in doing well.

I started with Havant & Waterlooville in the BSS league. I brought in a number of players on Free Transfers and non-contracts, and lost 2 of my first 3 with a draw in another. Then something happened, and my team just started kicking ***. I've won 5 straight (4 league games, 1 FA Cup Qualifying Round game) by a combined score of 17-2 (If I remember right), and my striker, Sahr Kabba, has scored 5 in the last 2 games. My defense is exceptional, and my goalkeeper is making key saves when it matters. This has never happened before! It's such an amazing feeling to see my team put it together and start winning games.

I'll probably upload some screenshots later today or this weekend (at work right now), but I must say that I love this game. I've put 25 hours into it since the beta was released and I see that number going very, very high. And I'd like to thank everyone for getting me hooked on the drug that is Football Manager. Other sports games are nowhere near the same anymore.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #3698
Rookie

cheesesteak's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Care to elaborate? I've always found the sim engine to be very transparent and realistic in this game. After all, you can click on any result in a league you have chosen as playable and see exactly what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozil
Huh? No way. This is pretty realistic man. You sure you're not confusing this with FIFA 13?
I'll gladly elaborate, but lemme preface: I'm aware it's only been a day, so the data pool is small, but, so far...

10+ sims in a row: Arsenal goes winless @ West Brom
10+ sims in a row: Arsenal loses @ Everton (that one I don't mind too much - see sig =D but 10 in a row?)
10+ sims in a row: Man U loses @ West Brom (not even a single draw in 10+ attempts)
10+ sims in a row: Chelsea goes winless @ Wigan

These results are absolutely ridiculous. There's no 2-ways about it. Are these results completely improbable? No. But to have them occur 10+ times in a row (I'm in the middle of a couple of them as this very moment. Probably up to 15+ re-loads by now) is just plain bad simulation. It makes no sense.

And yes, I've check injuries and such, there's really no significant - Chelsea is clean, Arsenal has a few rotation players out, Man U just missing Ferdinand and RVP.

edit:
lol I knew it. The 1st re-load after I posted this, Chelsea beat Wigan, Man U beat West Brom and Arsenal beat Everton. Thanks OS forum anti-jinxers! =D
Oregon State Beavers
Gonzaga Bulldogs
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #3699

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Is it the beginning of the season? Is it the middle or end and the games don't matter to the better team? Are they in the middle of a stretch of important or continental games and they're using it to rest their players?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #3700
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

I have noticed that there seems to be certain factors that exist pre-match which affect the match engine. They can be mind games played by managers, how well-versed the team is in their tactic, overall team morale, home-field advantage, etc. etc. I assume this is the first match of the season? Perhaps key players aren't in form yet. That's another thing. I wouldn't be too worried that early in the season about other results to the point that you're reloading. In the long run, talent will win out and the standings will reflect it.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #3701
Midfield Maestro

Ozil's Arena

OVR: 3

The thing is, those results are probable. If those teams were the home teams and that happened 10 times in a row, I'd be more concerned. Truth is - Arsenal could very well lose at West Brom, Man U have drawn or lost at the Hawthorns, and Chelsea could lose to Wigan. 10+ times? A little much, but these results are not unrealistic by any stretch

As the others have mentioned, talent usually wins out and barring a bad run of form, the good teams will be OK
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #3702

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29

Anyone figure out what stats I should look for when hiring a Director of Football? My club's current one is rubbish and I'd like to replace him.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #3703

ubernoob's Arena

It all depends on what you want to use him for.

I don't have the luxury right now of getting a new one, but I look for Adaptability, Determination, Motivation, Judging Player Potential, Judging Player Ability, Man Management, and Level of Discipline.

Obviously that's a rough guide, but for what I use my Director for those are the stats I'm looking for. Especially the 2 main scouting stats - he's there to sell and find players to bring in (for the youth team at least for me) and I want a good judge of players doing that.

GAME UPDATE:
Milan came to town. We sent them packing after a 1-0 victory by Pescara.
Game Stats Were:
Pescara - Milan
12 shots - 15 shots
4 On target - 4 On target
56% Possession 44%
6 Fouls - 18 Fouls

This tactic is seeming to take hold a bit better now, as I am in 9th place with 28 points after 21 games. Milan is leading the league with 46 points.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #3704

ubernoob's Arena

I could literally sit and talk about this game all day long.

After my latest upset, the match report e-mail showed up with a nice little surprise.

The title? "Pescara enter race for qualification." If the season ended today, I would qualify for the Europa League Third Qualifying Round.

Also, and perhaps more surprising, with 11 games left to play Inter is in 19th/20th place with 23 points from 27 games. The only team worse than them is Siena with 20 points from 27 games (though they started the season with a 6 point deduction.) 11 games is plenty of time for Inter to pull out of the 6 point hole they are currently in to avoid relegation though. Whatever happens, it will be a fun end of the season. Picture updates to come then.

Current standings - 1st place Juventus with 59 points from 27 games. I am in 6th with 41 points from 28 games. Two teams in front of me both with 42 points, and third place (Napoli) has 49. I can easily pull myself into 4th, but 3rd may be a bit too much to ask from this team.

EDIT: As soon as I post that, my new group of youth candidates for the year comes up.

They gave me a 15 year old striker that my director of football "has singled out as possibly one of the best players of his generation."

That's no joke, he could start in my first 11 and be one of the best players on the team. This kid is going to be scary good.

Last edited by ubernoob; 11-02-2012 at 10:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »