Home

***The Official Football Manager Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official Football Manager Thread*** within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #3729
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: ***The Official Football Manager Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPound
This is just about the only sports game I've found worthwhile other than OOTP Baseball and MLB the Show. Text sims have bypassed other sports games for me lol.
FM is the only game I've played where it feels like players' performances and behaviors are actually dictated by ratings and certain traits. I do like The Show as well because there are a lot of options available to make the live game play like a true sim where ratings matter.

NFL games and FIFA became stale to me as we moved into current gen. Once I found FM, it pretty much ruined console soccer games for me, although I do like to pick up FIFA for a quick game here and there. It does a lot of things right and looks amazing. It's just tiring spending hours tweaking custom tactics to get teams to play right in a mode that has about 1% of the depth and immersion of FM. It's just not worth it to me anymore. With FM, it's just fine out of the box (once the dedicated team tweaks a few things with patches), I slap on some graphics, fix the competition names, and boom - hours upon hours of fresh replay value.

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 11-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #3730
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
FM is the only game I've played where it feels like players' performances and behaviors are actually dictated by ratings and certain traits. I do like The Show as well because there are a lot of options available to make the live game play like a true sim where ratings matter.

NFL games and FIFA became stale to me as we moved into current gen. Once I found FM, it pretty much ruined console soccer games for me, although I do like to pick up FIFA for a quick game here and there. It does a lot of things right and looks amazing. It's just tiring spending hours tweaking custom tactics to get teams to play right in a mode that has about 1% of the depth and immersion of FM. It's just not worth it to me anymore. With FM, it's just fine out of the box (once the dedicated team tweaks a few things with patches), I slap on some graphics, fix the competition names, and boom - hours upon hours of fresh replay value.
Yeah FM pretty much made me trade in FIFA lol. I'd rather just have a solid game I can pick up and play than have to make so many adjustments. I enjoy the Player ID on PES and hope they continue to expand it even more. It still has its flaws though. I've pretty much moved to non-sports games on consoles now.

Am I the only one that's found more success letting my players have creative freedom for the most part? Only person I really adjust is the goalkeeper to shorter passes because long passes usually end up screwing me over it seems.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #3731
Midfield Maestro

Ozil's Arena

OVR: 3

FM has been the best sports game for me along with OOTP and EHM. The depth in those games is incredible and I love the idea of managing a team, developing players, and implementing a philosophy to see how I do.

FIFA is fun, but after a while, it has become stale because of its limitations. FM 13 offers what FIFA can't in terms of building teams as a manager. In FIFA, playing as Barca and Real would not be fun because you could dominate and dominate. In FM, you could be dominant as Real or Barca, but if your vision is too short-term or you make mistakes in debvelopment and transfers, you could set them back years.

It's fun watching teams who are middling to start turn into powerhouses as the years go by.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #3732
Midfield Maestro

Ozil's Arena

OVR: 3

Oh, and for those of you who haven't checked it out, you should read a book called, "Football Manager Stole My Life" by Ian MacIntosh. I'm loving it so far and can definitely relate to it on a personal level
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #3733

Suntan Superman's Arena

OVR: 11

Guys Guys... GUYS... I did it. I achieved glory. Are you ready for this? Are you ready?! VOILA!!
Spoiler
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #3734
MVP

Blaze125's Arena

OVR: 11

4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, I'm playing Dorchester (I'm Havant & Waterlooville), who's 2nd in the BSS. I'm 1st right now. I've won 6 straight and my team has been looking great coming in, but it wasn't a matchup I wanted.

My team misses some great chances early on, and Dorchester's able to capitalize on some bad defense and go up 1-0 at the 30th minute. Alright, that's fine, my guys have been good and should be able to tie it up. That wasn't the case, as missed shots and giveaways made that 1-0 deficit feel like 3-0.

I switch to Overload in the 70th minute, figuring I have to start pushing since I don't want to be knocked out at this point. I also swapped out one of my strikers for another since I wasn't too happy with how the other one was doing. More missed opportunities, and the 90th minute rolls around. I have 4 minutes for something to happen... and it does. The striker who I put in gets a perfect pass, moves past a defender, and strikes it from the top of the box right into the net. A few more stressful minutes pass and it ends 1-1. I'll be playing the replay tonight, and hopefully my team comes out strong after that crazy game.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #3735
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

I have never played this game before, and I just downloaded 13 to my laptop (I don't even know if it can play FM yet) are there any mods/graphics that you guys would recommend to download?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #3736
Rookie

OVR: 5

Sortitoutsi.net would be the place to start - toucan download some updates that will have correct names of competitions and fix the fake German and Japanese national teams, but you'll need that before you start a save. They also have facepacks and kits that I recommend.

Is the 2013 editor up yet for FM? I am ready to upgrade but want to make some tweaks before I start up again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »