Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Gameplay Video - Arnold Palmer Invitational & More Details

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Gameplay Video - Arnold Palmer Invitational & More Details within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #81
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Gameplay Video - Arnold Palmer Invitational & More Details

Learning a lot here. What is "ignite" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
I just wish they would've wrote Ignite from scratch instead of bringing over legacy codes as a base. (And you can't tell me they didn't).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #82
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Gameplay Video - Arnold Palmer Invitational & More Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w
Learning a lot here. What is "ignite" ?
EA Sports next gen engine powering most of their games. It's separate from Frostbite.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #83
All Star

OVR: 13

A few things I saw that caught my eye in the video:

- I like the brighter color palette; I always hated how dark and overcast everything looked in the PS2/3 era Tiger games

- Graphics are nice no doubt

- Swing animations are still sort of choppy and look identical to prior gen versions, but I guess until someone figures out how to make the animation fluid despite discrete up/down motion of the thumbstick, we're stuck with that

- Serious "after-spin" obviously still in the game...fine, since I know you can turn it off, but I just think that's one of the dumbest things ever put into a sports game other than the different length putters of the first few TW games (I mean, would they put in a feature where you could move the basketball toward the basket after you let a 3-pointer go? Even if you could turn that particular feature 'off', the fact that it was even in the game would be preposterous)

- Presentation looks nice; really looks like an NBC golf presentation

- It always annoyed me how you could "zoom" to the target landing area and pick out a specific landing spot/aiming spot for your shots. It just strikes me as so...artificial, I guess. It's almost like, why not just point to where you want the ball to land and press "X", then the ball automatically ends up there? I like the old aiming mechanisms from older golf games, where it's just a flag or a stick or something that you place out there from your golfer's perspective and it's a general aiming guide - no zoom to target, no arrow showing the exact flight, etc. - just a general aiming mechanism and rough idea of where you want to hit the shot. Like what you do in real golf.

- Ball cam....(grumble). I know other cameras are in the game, thankfully.

- Have to see more examples, but the way water was rendered in the old TW games always sucked IMO. Hopefully this gen it will be more realistic.

- Any news on how ties will be handled after the completion of a tournament? The lack of playoffs in the TW games was always completely lame IMO (maybe they fixed that in the later versions and I wasn't aware).
Old 07-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #84
MVP

OVR: 11

After shot spin and power boost were introduced into TW03 for consoles by David DeMartini. Never put into the PC versions thankfully. I have always despised these features every year, yet many on the EA Golf forums love that crap. It is NOT Golf. It is a hole-out-fest that has nothing to do with PGA TOUR Golf. It is a vocal group that has EA's ear unfortunately. That is why I have always wished EA would completely separate the Arcade features from the PGA TOUR Golf features. The after shot spin and boost is the same thing as giving your quarterback in Madden the ability to force the ball into his receivers hands every single play or the kicker never missing a field goal because you control the ball the entire way. Might as well call it the "shooting fish in a barrel" mode. And the arcade fans at EA think the PGA TOUR GOLF fans are crazy for asking for simulation-like features.....completely separate the two and I'm fine.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 07-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #85
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
After shot spin and power boost were introduced into TW03 for consoles by David DeMartini. Never put into the PC versions thankfully. I have always despised these features every year, yet many on the EA Golf forums love that crap. It is NOT Golf. It is a hole-out-fest that has nothing to do with PGA TOUR Golf. It is a vocal group that has EA's ear unfortunately. That is why I have always wished EA would completely separate the Arcade features from the PGA TOUR Golf features. The after shot spin and boost is the same thing as giving your quarterback in Madden the ability to force the ball into his receivers hands every single play or the kicker never missing a field goal because you control the ball the entire way. Might as well call it the "shooting fish in a barrel" mode. And the arcade fans at EA think the PGA TOUR GOLF fans are crazy for asking for simulation-like features.....completely separate the two and I'm fine.
Suffice to say, I could not possibly agree more with everything you said.

I know the answer to why this doesn't happen, but the ideal solution would really be a "PGA Tour Game", and a "Golf Blitz/Jam" game for the arcade set. Mixing the two just leads to compromises everywhere, and then no one is totally happy. It's like how you end up at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner when you're with a big group of friends...no one really likes that place, but since you can't please everyone and no one really hates it enough to vocally object, you end up there way more often then you otherwise would. Groupthink at its best.

Last edited by pietasterp; 07-02-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #86
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I think in a way that's exactly what they're doing by making Pro swing and Casual swing modes, no? If people want to play it that way, they're more than welcome to with this setup.

I remember way back when, I think Madden 2000 on PS1, a buddy and I used to play a Franchise Mode together and the whole time he wanted to put it on the easiest level and brag about the stats he puts up. I didn't see the appeal at all but he loved it.

That's who the spin and power boost appeals to and I have no problem with the game having it if it means sales are stronger and future versions keep coming out. But make the sim style very sim and tough, and split the online leaderboards by game style like they are, and everyone should be happy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #87
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Instant gratification. Plain and simple. That's all I see when I hear people talking about hole outs. Myself personally I find it more gratifying practicing and mastering the hardest difficulty then shooting 10 under. But everybody these days wants instant results.

Last edited by jbd345; 07-02-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #88
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp

- It always annoyed me how you could "zoom" to the target landing area and pick out a specific landing spot/aiming spot for your shots. It just strikes me as so...artificial, I guess. It's almost like, why not just point to where you want the ball to land and press "X", then the ball automatically ends up there? I like the old aiming mechanisms from older golf games, where it's just a flag or a stick or something that you place out there from your golfer's perspective and it's a general aiming guide - no zoom to target, no arrow showing the exact flight, etc. - just a general aiming mechanism and rough idea of where you want to hit the shot. Like what you do in real golf.
This - like most of the other options you mentioned - was also able to be tuned to your liking. I know on the last game it was at least. You would really have to pay attention to the fly-by or just be really familiar with the course to know where you needed to aim your shots. So I really hope they offer that as an option in this game.

The nice part was you could play in your clubs or tournaments online that had the same settings for everyone. So you weren't playing against someone who had the ability to zoom in when you didn't.

We aren't going to get a sim game and then an arcade game. We should just be glad that there are options for those of us who like to have the sim experience! I'm not sure if you played TW14 or not, but that is a fantastic game with the correct settings.

That brings me to something I'm wondering. Will we have the option to just have the green grid without any moving beads or other aids on the green? I've always thought that this was the most sim option. You can't realistically read a green in a video game without at least a grid. But the moving beads and any other dashed line-type aids like you see in this video make it way too easy.

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 07-02-2015 at 05:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »