Home

The Career of Chris Thomas

This is a discussion on The Career of Chris Thomas within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12
The Career of Chris Thomas

This is the life of a hockey defenseman. I started hockey early in my life, 5 years old to be exact. I always had a hard shot, but wasn't very accurate, so I was put on by defense. At first I thought it would be no fun, but then came defensemen like Zdeno Chara, Nicklas Lidstrom, Dion Phaneuf, Robyn Regehr, Brian Rafalski, Scott Neidermayer, Scott Stevens. I enjoyed watching those guys play, and tried to model my play style after them. Now today, I am one of Canada's best offensive defensemen.

I will be involved in my first NHL draft. I am expected to be drafted later on in the 6th or 7th round. I may not even be drafted. Luckily, the draft is close to home this year. It's in Ottawa, while I'm from Mississauga. My favorite team as a kid was always the Leafs. I hated the Senators.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

Re: The Career of Chris Thomas

Draft Day 1

My parents, my brother and I left the house around 11:30 AM. We were expecting to be in Ottawa around 3:45 PM. We all packed into our 2008 Chevy Uplander with our bags, as the last few rounds were tomorrow. My phone vibrated. It was a TSN update - The Tampa Bay Lightning had traded there first overall pick to the New York Rangers. When we arrived in Ottawa, we checked into our hotel and stayed in our room for a while before supper. After supper we headed over to Scotiabank place. The draft finally began after what felt like an eternity. Steven Stamkos was picked first by the Rangers. I knew him from my OHL days. My teammate from Guelph, Drew Doughty was drafted by the Kings. Boy did I feel sorry for him. Another Strom alumni was drafted - this time goalie Thomas McCollum to the Wings.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

Draft Day 2

Well, today was the last part of the 2008 NHL Entry draft. I was expected to be picked sometime later today. The third round went by, the fourth, the fifth. Still nothing - no Guelph players were drafted either. Round six came by. Another Guelph Storm teammate was drafted here - Anthony Nigro was selected by St. Louis with the 155th overall pick. The Ottawa Senators made a trade to acquire the 168th overall pick from Calgary. I thought nothing of It. When it was time for the said pick, Bryan Murray walked up to the podium with Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson. Murray said something to Alfredsson, and he laughed. Bryan Murray then said "The Ottawa Senators are proud to select with the 168th overall from the Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League - Defensemen Chris Thomas". I jumped up with mixed emotions as I hugged my parents and brother. I was drafted, but by the Sens. I walked up to the stage, shook hands with Bryan Murray and Daniel Alfredsson, put on my jersey and hat, and had my picture taken.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 44

nice mad can't wait.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

Post Draft

Before we could leave, I was interviewed by various reporters from various newspapers and news stations. I answered questions; they thanked me for my time and let me loose. We left and had just walked into our hotel room when my phone rang. I answered "Hello?" the reply was "Hi Chris. Bryan Murray here." I replied "Oh hello, Mr. Murray". "Look kid, we made a last minute trade to be able to draft you – we have faith in you. We want you to stay in Ottawa for the rookie orientation and a few practices and scrimmages. After that you’ll probably be moved down to Binghamton, because you will be able to develop to your full potential there. Our head coach, Cory Clouston will be in contact with you soon.” That marked the end of our conversation.

A few hours later Cory Clouston called me to inform me of the first couple practices that we would be having. I had to be there at 6:30 AM for the first bit of rookie orientation. Then a long rookie only practice. I told him I’d be there no problem.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 31

oh snap!!!

you need to have a tid bit of him being booed by sens fans in one of his first nhl games. i mean, come on, the kid grew up as a diehard leafs fan!!

great job with this so far, and good luck in your career. the path to the NHL is a tough one, but if you do well, you will be greatly rewarded.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

First day with the team

Well, it certainly was a long day. Rookie orientation was just Coach Clouston and Bryan Murray telling us about the clubs history, the cup run back in 2007, the system the team runs and expectations of the rookies. But the first practice certainly wasn't a "rookies only" practice. My practice session consisted of a 1-on-1 rush with Jason Spezza, and a 2-on-1 with Spezza and team captain Daniel Alfredsson. I won both. The 1-on-1 I won 20-6 and the 2-on-1 I won 20-1. Coach Clouston said my 1-on-1 play needs definite improvement, but other than that I looked good.

I finally managed to get out of my hotel room, as Mike Fisher said I could stay with him until I find out whats happening with me. After practice, the team went over to Fisher's house and we celebrated all night. Practice is gonna be long tomorrow. Apparently special teams is the major focus for tomorrow. 5 on 3 powerplays are going to be the big focus.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinderhizzle84
oh snap!!!

you need to have a tid bit of him being booed by sens fans in one of his first nhl games. i mean, come on, the kid grew up as a diehard leafs fan!!

great job with this so far, and good luck in your career. the path to the NHL is a tough one, but if you do well, you will be greatly rewarded.
Haha, thanks. That does sound like a good idea. I will try and implement it somehow. I was thinking of doing a "pre-season" and would definitely include a Leafs-Sens game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »