Home

Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #209
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
There was a DPI in one of the Steelers/Bengals videos.

Thanks. So many in the E3 thread I can't remember.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 07-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #210
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

So many of Madden's "legacy" issues and game play complaints could be fixed if they simply tried to make a more authentic football experience, rather than catering to the casual crowd.

When people talk about nano-blitzes, those come from an exploit of the AI offensive line blocking logic and mechanics. In Madden, the AI knows who is supposed to be rushing the passer and from where so you can't set up stock blitzes with any consistency. However, if you user rush with a defender who was supposed to drop into zone, then the AI freaks out because it wasn't expecting that. Also, telling the Defensive Tackles to spy or contain and so forth screws up the guards and centers, opening up lanes for Linebackers, who "weren't supposed to be blitzing," to shoot through unblocked. Instead, if there were dynamic pass protections schemes as part of the play design, and offensive linemen weren't tethered to the defensive play call, then the experience would be far more authentic and more difficult/less likely to exploit... at least in any unrealistic manner. When pressed on this issue, they responded by saying how time consuming and difficult such a task would be to undertake and it just wasn't "worth it." So, we are stuck with what we have.

A variety of "money plays" are again based on a lack of realistic football fundamental and interactions. I could give countless more examples, but in the end... "I'll belive it when I see it."
Old 07-18-2015, 12:48 AM   #211
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84

When people talk about nano-blitzes, those come from an exploit of the AI offensive line blocking logic and mechanics. In Madden, the AI knows who is supposed to be rushing the passer and from where so you can't set up stock blitzes with any consistency. However, if you user rush with a defender who was supposed to drop into zone, then the AI freaks out because it wasn't expecting that. Also, telling the Defensive Tackles to spy or contain and so forth screws up the guards and centers, opening up lanes for Linebackers, who "weren't supposed to be blitzing," to shoot through unblocked. Instead, if there were dynamic pass protections schemes as part of the play design, and offensive linemen weren't tethered to the defensive play call, then the experience would be far more authentic and more difficult/less likely to exploit... at least in any unrealistic manner. When pressed on this issue, they responded by saying how time consuming and difficult such a task would be to undertake and it just wasn't "worth it." So, we are stuck with what we have.
Just curious PG, was that when you were there in the Ian days or with Rex?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #212
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Just curious PG, was that when you were there in the Ian days or with Rex?
It was with Ian, but this is a legacy issue. It is rooted in the core mechanics of the game. I was told it would take a complete overhaul of the game to change this, and they didn't see it as a big enough problem to fix as the game works well enough as is. Also, they were afraid an overhaul would break other parts of the game that they can't anticipate.

Oh well.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 AM   #213
MVP

Number999's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
It was with Ian, but this is a legacy issue. It is rooted in the core mechanics of the game. I was told it would take a complete overhaul of the game to change this, and they didn't see it as a big enough problem to fix as the game works well enough as is. Also, they were afraid an overhaul would break other parts of the game that they can't anticipate.

Oh well.
I know you deleted your post but damn man... you got me kinda down on Madden moving forward. I know we'll see with the changes going ahead but it's a shame not even the guys dedicated towards making a sim-focused game are even being torn down.
NHL - Florida Panthers
Soccer - Real Madrid

Crystal Palace ~ FIFA 18 Dynasty!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #214
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

Look, Madden keeps getting better. I think the current versions of the game might be the best versions of Madden they ave ever made. I miss some old features, but that isn't the point.

On the other hand, if you are waiting for and expecting a more realistic football experience with authentic offensive and defensive line play, true progressive route running based on the coverage, and a more authentic play calling system... then don't hold your breath.

=================
Spoiler
Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #215
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

What is true progressive route running?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #216
Banned

PatsSB2015's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

Penalties have long not been a big part of the Madden NFL experience. This year, EA is hoping to change that legacy, which you can read fully fleshed out on their new blog:

What This Means: Every player is going to get a penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which will determine how likely they are to commit a penalty. Also, how you play the game will determine how many penalties are called as well. A pressing cornerback is used as an example, where your chances of seeing a defensive holding penalty are higher than if he is playing loose.

The penalty sliders also are getting a makeover, with the default setting based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons, which will make penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible, so EA says.

Penalties which got the updated treatment include: Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

What do you think of the potentially improved penalties?
As long as it's accurate, I think that's pretty cool.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »