Home

Is The New Aggressive Catch Overpowered? (Possible Tweak Coming In Tuning Update?)

This is a discussion on Is The New Aggressive Catch Overpowered? (Possible Tweak Coming In Tuning Update?) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-16-2015, 02:14 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Madden 16: Is the new Aggressive Catch overpowered?

Probably. None of it seems to take into account positioning and timing, it's just hold a button and pray.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2015, 02:39 AM   #26
Rookie

DreSki's Arena

OVR: 2

We wont know for sure until we get some games where people are using the new play receiver mechanic. Apparently that is supposed to combat the aggressive catching. The vid Rev posted of randall cobb catching a ball between two defenders was a bit worrisome tho.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:52 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 11

I'm a online only player, and I watched a stream where a guy was in practice mode pulling down bombs with Odell beckham against Richard Sherman with a 8 out of 10 successful rate,
So I'm worried, especially after last year.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:06 AM   #28
MVP

MoneyOvaHuds's Arena

OVR: 0

One player on twitch said only the elite wr it feels OP but everyone else it's not
Old 08-16-2015, 03:21 AM   #29
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyOvaHuds
One player on twitch said only the elite wr it feels OP but everyone else it's not
Edit: I just quoted you to piggy back a point...

Ya, like I said earlier I'm sure a global re rate of spectacular catch ratings will be necessary. If I see a game with more than 1 1 handed catch it will be necessary for me to do.

But it's not a surprise because every new feature EA puts into a game every year has been overpowered. The run game, rocket catching with weapons, defensive line last year, and now (it seems) overpowered spectacular catches with anyone with a rating of 88 or higher I presume.

When they add new features there always has to be a counter to it. In this case id like to see a new cb rating for breaking up passes which could counter these plays against star players. The defensive line last year they should have added a run or pass shed slider. The run game and all the work Clint did a few years ago give linebackers and defensive linemen ability to shed which they did A YEAR LATER. If you add something into the game you need to have a counter for it on the opposite side of the ball otherwise 1 side becomes OP like every year.

Again, like I said I'm fine with it because editing players and sliders will fix any problem here I assume, but that's for offline. Online would be a mess unless you get in a league with re rated rosters or a commish who sets a good slider set assuming those are options available to us in leagues.

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 08-16-2015 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:48 AM   #30
Pro

droopizzle34's Arena

OVR: 18

It seems like this feature is a way to make the RC legit in the game. You had to have stick to do the RC and when you did it was owerpowering in the game, and now EA has just made it a 'feature'....

when I saw Dez take a ball away from Sherman in one of the videos, I went and cancelled my pre order. Yes, this will be overpowering and you can bet your bottom dollar the Madden sites will find ways to exploit this.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:55 AM   #31
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Edit: I just quoted you to piggy back a point...

Ya, like I said earlier I'm sure a global re rate of spectacular catch ratings will be necessary. If I see a game with more than 1 1 handed catch it will be necessary for me to do.

But it's not a surprise because every new feature EA puts into a game every year has been overpowered. The run game, rocket catching with weapons, defensive line last year, and now (it seems) overpowered spectacular catches with anyone with a rating of 88 or higher I presume.

When they add new features there always has to be a counter to it. In this case id like to see a new cb rating for breaking up passes which could counter these plays against star players. The defensive line last year they should have added a run or pass shed slider. The run game and all the work Clint did a few years ago give linebackers and defensive linemen ability to shed which they did A YEAR LATER. If you add something into the game you need to have a counter for it on the opposite side of the ball otherwise 1 side becomes OP like every year.

Again, like I said I'm fine with it because editing players and sliders will fix any problem here I assume, but that's for offline. Online would be a mess unless you get in a league with re rated rosters or a commish who sets a good slider set assuming those are options available to us in leagues.
The truth is that the offensive player has the major advantage in 1 on 1 coverage. Its why i think corner is the toughest position in sports - they can be unsuccesfull even if they do everything right. Which brings me to this...

If there was no such thing as pass rush in the game of football then offense would score every possession. Pass rush needs to really effect these long ball attempts just as it does in real life. I have a feeling most consumers would be aggrivated if the accuracy of these deep attempts was the same as real life though. Instead, these passes are consistently put in a spot for a receiver to compete for the catch - which he should win the overall majority of the time.

It's where I think the game is struggling to define itself: fun or simulation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2015, 05:32 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
I'm a online only player, and I watched a stream where a guy was in practice mode pulling down bombs with Odell beckham against Richard Sherman with a 8 out of 10 successful rate,
So I'm worried, especially after last year.
I watched the same stream as you more than likely, and I'd like to point out that this was on practice mode with Sherman pressing on every play with no safety help. It was about a 50/50 split on clean press beats and of course when Odell beat the press it was an easy catch, Aggressive catch or not. Sherman broke up the two passes he did when he still had good position after the bump. If Sherman's not pressing or if he has help over the top, I don't really see ODB winning that matchup 8/10 times.

All that said...it still looked overpowering. Especially factoring in that the guy was playing on All-Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »