Home

Madden 17 Everything Playbooks (custom) for the CPU or user

This is a discussion on Madden 17 Everything Playbooks (custom) for the CPU or user within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Madden 17 Everything Playbooks (custom) for the CPU or user

How would this work for PS4, since I assume you're just on XB1...
Old 08-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #10
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I can almost understand why EA does this as I almost think with the plays I added made the panthers a little too efficient. People might get frustrated playing against the CPU like this. But at least you won't see any odd things anymore...
What's your methodology when working on a teams playbook?

What I mean by that is that I was going to do this a couple of years ago and my two main concerns were A) the overuse of certain plays (curl flats, corner strike, 4 verts, etc.) and B) the lack of utilization of any teams given playbook.

So when you edit a team are you just using the base playbooks and basically correcting those issues while also adding more plays to certain situations? Or do you go even further and add new formations that fit their playstyle to their base playbook while also correcting those issues?
Old 08-20-2016, 11:23 PM   #11
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas

What I mean by that is that I was going to do this a couple of years ago and my two main concerns were A) the overuse of certain plays (curl flats, corner strike, 4 verts, etc.) and B) the lack of utilization of any teams given playbook.

So when you edit a team are you just using the base playbooks and basically correcting those issues while also adding more plays to certain situations? Or do you go even further and add new formations that fit their playstyle to their base playbook while also correcting those issues?
Good questions,
I'd like to know the best way to set up custom PBs and the pros and cons of giving the CPU custom PBs?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #12
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Some of you remember this thread from last year. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...playbooks.html I have tested playbooks for the CPU and the workaround from last year (thanks to swagger coach) still works. This year you can assign the CPU playbooks in play now (couldn't last year) as well as cfm. For play now you just need a 2nd controller. Download the custom playbook and go to play now and advanced settings and set the playbook you want for both teams. Once you assign a playbook start the game. Once the game starts move the 2nd controller to CPU. You will have to initially call the 1st play but after the kick its all the CPU.

As for cfm it's a little different. Once you start the cfm as a owner or coach. You will need to go to settings and select starter to off. Then you will then create a 2nd profile by clicking the R stick down. Select a team and then pick a player (not a owner or coach) and choose a backup qb from Undrafted. He will then be a 3rd qb on your depth chart and never see the field. You can then go and play the same way selecting and using 2 controllers. This time however after you select your teams playbook in the team select screen you will just click advance to game as the user. Then your done. The only other thing you will need to do is make sure your 2nd controller is plugged into your Xbox so it doesn't auto shut off as this will kick you from the game. If it's plugged in you are good to go.

For those who do not no this is a game changer in how the CPU ai plays. They now play to their strengths, use plays they call irl and make the CPU ai incredible. All the situations and audibles are redone. All the play actions on 3rd and long gone, most all verticals gone. I just finished the panthers rough draft and went and tested it. I was shutting teams down to under 10 most all games before giving the panthers their playbook. I played 1 quarter and gave up 21 points. Like I said it's a game changer. I'm loving the game without playbooks but this takes it to a whole different level. If you don't believe me go download and try yourself.

This thread will be for any questions or players who create real team playbooks. I will post them in this thread in the OP. We can also use it as information for people looking to add real plays or routes. So if your team likes to throw lot of screens on 2nd or 3rd and long, etc just throw it out in this thread.

Last thing - it was stated you can not use formation subs with custom playbooks. That is true and false. If you start a playbook with your team you can still do formation subs with any formation that was in the original playbook. If you add a new formation you will have to change in game. But in cfm as a player if you choose to do playbooks then because you chose a player you can not (as far as I can tell as of now) change depth charts or formation subs...

I have already done a few playbooks that you can download now under my gamertag - vannwolfhawk206 for the xbox1.

For the Xbox 1

- Seahawks - defensive playbook - vannwolfhawk206
- Panthers - offensive playbook - vannwolfhawk206 (rough draft)
Well this is very interesting!
I like the idea of the CPU having a better play call strategy.
Less 4 verticals, more intermediate routes on 3rd downs.
Even some draws and screens would be a pleasant surprise on 3rd and longs!
Old 08-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
How would this work for PS4, since I assume you're just on XB1...
I believe the exact same way...
Old 08-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
MVP

I always use a custom playbook on both offense and defense but first especially on offense I have to figure out what is going to work with the changes in gameplay.

A cool feature which has appeared in other games is the ability to design your own play but until that happens custom playbooks are the best option.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas

So, for the Seahawks who I watch every game I use exactly what I see. As for other teams that I don't know as well, at first I'll just redo the situational star ratings within their stock playbook. 1st thing I do is go to each situational playlist and eliminate (delete from situation not playbook), then I'll go thru every play in the playbook and add star ratings to the appropriate situation. I won't eliminate the 4 verts plays due to if a user wants to use them but the CPU on 3rd and long had 7-8 4 verts plays out of the 20 it could call. Smh! I'll eliminate play actions on 3rd and longs. I'll put play action plays on 1st down, 2nd and short or medium, or 3rd and short. I'll add screen passes or draws for surprises 2nd and long or 3rd and medium or long.

Another thing I'll do is on 3rd and short I'll give most plays with just quick slants, drags, quick outs, zigs, and quick curls plays. On 3rd and medium have intermediate routes. For 2 minute plays I'll use plays that have receivers going to the sideline. The key is adding plays where the CPU can beat a zone and a man with a few routes.

For defense with Seahawks as an example I got rid of cover 2 zone plays. I put all the cover 3, cover 1, and not a lot of blitzes. I'll eliminate the double safety plays as they run that on 3rd and long! Smh

Out of the box the CPU only had 10-20 plays max per situation. Each team has 450 plays within the playbook but the CPU only utilizes 20% of it. With this for example the panthers have 80 plays on 1st down they can use. That keeps you on your toes as you have no idea what's coming.

Last thing I forgot to mention and this is big is when I go thru playbooks is let's say I have cowboy empty (5wr shotgun set) and I'm using that on 1st down occasionally (which the Seahawks sometimes come out in) I add wr screen. Well I can't just add that 1 play as if I saw that and knew that's all they had that would be easy. So what I'll do is add 3-4 plays or at the very least 2 so i might think o know is coming but they hit me with a counter to it. 1 is a zone beater, other is a man beater. I'll do the same for sets with a RB. Make sure I have a run, play action, pass zone, pass man. So you never know what's coming.

Another thing is I will try and give a higher star ratings to the best plays that are most authentic to a team. I'll put plays with the Seahawks or panthers (a lot of read option out shotgun formations), I'll put plays for TE as a primary route for jimmy graham or Greg Olson so they look to go to their main players as a 1st read. For the Cowboys I would make sure to get the best routes for dez (hopefully with him as the primary). You get the point.

Anyways, once season starts or as I watch games or get suggestions from guys on plays and formations used I'll then add or subtract as needed to get more team specific. But just changing the situational to a teams playbook really would suffice.

I really want guys to try this as its crazy how good and efficient the CPU ai is with this done! If you try the panther playbook you will see cam run more with a few qb power runs out of heavy Panther, qb draws out of shotgun or 3rd and short etc... Cam is a threat as is Greg Olson.

It's a time consuming process but it's well worth it. I am so sick of CPU taking sacks because in 4 verts I'm in mam every 3rd as I know it's coming and they take a sack or same with curl routes and CPU takes sack or throws the ball away. Play actions on 3rd down is dumb. Etc etc...

I'm only going to do 4-5 teams myself, but hope others who know their favorite teams better than I and understand how to do these can pitch in to get sll32 at some point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

I'm curious if we set all the Plays in all the PBs to 5 stars or whatever. Would it allow the CPU the abilities to call ANY play at ANY time?
Situational playcalling adjusting may still be needed in this case, just curious about this though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »