Home

Has anyone switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3

This is a discussion on Has anyone switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Has anyone switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude
Did you keep the HC or retire them though? Does it stick after retiring? Might tips sheet might need an update if so
i retired them and it stuck.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelD34KC
That is why I mentioned two DT's you can count on to play that position. Id trade Armstead and Buckner if I REALLY wanted to move to a 4-3. Those two should net you some nice young DTs. Move your 3-4 OLB to DE and you should be fine as long as there at least 265+ LBs with decent block shedding and power/finesse moves.

For example the Jets could easily move to a 3-4 because they have huge OLB's along with Leonard Williams and one other cant remember name, who could play DT at a high level.

Whereas you talk about say my Steelers. Probably not at all. Our OLB are 245lbs or so, and most havent taken a snap from a stance. Add to that we have 2 guys who COULD play DT, but are much, much better at 34 DE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Word. I can see the Jets being able to do it, but you're right that other teams are kid of locked in if they keep their current core talent. I re-signed Buckner to a $50M deal, so we're a 34 team till he croaks .

PIT is similarly stuck because you guys have gone for more athletic players and can't likely convert a guy like Dupree to a rush end. I kind of like that there are some player types in this year's game that really are scheme-dependent.
if you want to be realistic, either of buck or AA could play the LE role in a 43 under (SEA playbook), as both are a good fit at five tech.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 AM   #19
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
Will test this tonight then All credit to you though for a workaround on the Coaching Carousel Bug though! Here is a fishystick for you...
Old 02-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I think body types and player make-ups are important, though.

In my SF CFM, Buckner and Armstead are incredible weapons as 34 DE, but they lose quite a bit of their impact factor if you put them inside as DT in a 43 or put them outside as anchors in a 43. I even tried splitting the difference and putting the power guy (Armstead) inside in the 43 and the better rusher (Buckner) at strong-side end.

They just didn't have the build. Armstead has the strength of an under tackle but not the explosion to 1-gap. He might be passable as a strong-side end, but he wouldn't be able to generate any pass rush from that position. Buckner might be able to thrive as an under tackle because of his rush ability, but he comes up just short on closing speed when applying the rush from the strong-side end spot.

I wound up having to abort the experiment to switch to a 43 and return to the 34 simply because the player archetypes for the systems are so different.

I think this year's game did better ratings-wise do differentiate players so not every player can play proficiently in every scheme. My inability to switch seamlessly could mean that I simply don't have a ton of super-versatile players, but it's also really hard to switch schemes in the NFL. The Patriots can do it, but the Raiders, but most other teams can't.

That was my experience, anyway.
Well damn you just put a damper on my day because my plan was to switch to 4-3 Under defense (Seattle D) and play Armstead at DT! So you are saying he didn't work out too well for you?

That said I am trying to play sort of a hybrid defense, with LE (strong) being a run stopper and the RE (weak) being a pass rusher. So maybe I should just move him back to LE?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by burth179
Well damn you just put a damper on my day because my plan was to switch to 4-3 Under defense (Seattle D) and play Armstead at DT! So you are saying he didn't work out too well for you?

That said I am trying to play sort of a hybrid defense, with LE (strong) being a run stopper and the RE (weak) being a pass rusher. So maybe I should just move him back to LE?
I got a little moist at the idea of moving to a SEA front with Buck at strong-side end and Armstead perhaps at DT, or even at DE for a really "heavy" run stopping look.

I was having issues getting the same rush that I got when I had Buck and Armstead at 34 DE, where both really jump off the screen at you as dominant players.

Now some of that could have been scheme impatience. I tried it for 2-3 games and was afraid I'd get killed all season without more pass rush. I also got run on more than I'd have liked.

Some of that could have been talent, too. I'd been drafting offensive players in my CFM, so my D had been neglected, and I didn't have any real talent at the other 2 DL spots; I was also short on LB talent. Perhaps if I'd had 1 more DL and 1 more LB who fit the scheme, I'd have had a more cohesive unit and better production. I also didn't find that Bowman, with his declining range, was a great fit in the 43, though he's fine tackle to tackle in the 34.

So for me it was a gestalt thing and it didn't work out, but if you've drafted differently or developed players differently, you might have a different result.

My thing with Buck was that he doesn't have the acceleration to create a serious edge rush from the 43 DE spot, and he actually doesn't have exceptional power either (80 STR for me). And Armstead doesn't exactly have elite STR (85 for me) to lock down the interior. I'd prefer 90 STR in my DT, but if he's the under tackle, then his makeup can work.

I'd be interested to know if you could make it work. Not saying it's impossible; it just didn't work for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #22
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I'm just not sure it is the off season right now in an on-line league so I have time to think. I can just switch it back to a 3-4 if I have to, but I really want to try the experiment out.

Originally my plan was to leave Armstead at 5 tech but I have nobody else to play the UT and Chandler Jones who I had at OLB while only 265 is rated 89 as a 3-4 Run Stopper (actually higher than he is as pass rusher). So I was going to play him at strong side but he might be too small for that?

I may try and trade Jones for draft picks though, or maybe a guy that can fit this scheme and a pick or something like that. FYI - this is a 10 man (although I think we started with 12 can't remember) on-line league that started as a fantasy draft, I'm not the 49ers I just happen to have Armstead. I also have Aaron Lynch who I planned to move to the Leo position (RE)

Last edited by burth179; 02-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
SOrry ajra21, I got the playbooks and overall offensive and defensive schemes to stick, but couldn't get archetypes to stick. I tried different combinations of changing, advancing retireing, creating new character, preseason, regular, postseason... would not stick. But great find on the play books and schemes!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 11

In regards to the SF talk about Buck and Armstead, couldnt you just go in and edit the player type and that could potentially be a fix to them taking the hit during the switch?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »