Home

Which do you prefer Offline or Online?

This is a discussion on Which do you prefer Offline or Online? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2017, 05:19 AM   #57
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Which do you prefer Offline or Online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrayden
Online, offline you're left with the AI who IMO don't provide any real competition. The All-Madden AI isn't hard to take care of if you know what you're doing, just gotta deal with a high CPU QB comp %. Their AI in things like roster moves, drafting, etc., is pretty poor too.

In an online league you're competing with 31 other people, most of which know how to run a team better than the AI. I generally play online from release until about April or May (when most leagues die), then I take a break from Madden over the summer to get me hype for the next release and keep it fresh at the same time.

There's just something so satisfying about battling against a league full of other people and taking that Lombardi home. There's a lot of cool guys out there too, you can end up playing with the same group of people for multiple years.
Not just team building, but negotiating with real intelligence for trades, planning your draft knowing that your competition is able to find the gems just like you are (this really changes things, trust me), and then of course human intellect in game versus Madden AI. A human being is not going to play you press twice in a row after you burn him for a touchdown. A human being is not going to give up the corner route every time you come out in a tight formation. The CPU AI? Not so much.

Now, you need people committed to NFL SIM play in order for it to be fun, but things are definitely far more interesting with human competition.

There are downsides to online franchise, such as occasional lag and scheduling conflicts, but the game feels much more robust when you're not playing against idiotic CPU AI.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 PM   #58
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

Online CFM used to be all I'd play but after a while it just wore on me. I'm going to try a solo CFM this year as a last ditch effort to keep playing madden.

Like Hanky said though, it's online only for me in FIFA. Love pro clubs, drop ins, seasons and co-op seasons.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide
Let's play Madden or Fifa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

One issue I have with playing online is I cannot pause to go to the bathroom. I mean I can but the other guy unpauses and usually I cannot get back in time.

It's a small issue but if you need to take a break every now and then to get a pop or take a bathroom break then playing online is really a pain in the rear.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #60
Rookie

Sucram7777's Arena

Offline.
For a number of reasons:

1) I have other video games I like to play
2) I'm usually working multiple jobs throughout the year
3) I like to spectate some CPU-vs-CPU games
4) Online requires a marginal amount of commitment

Simply put, I simply don't have the time available to devote to a set schedule of games. Offline allows me to stop and resume my Franchise at the drop of a hat. Everything works at my own pace.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #61
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Madden, for me, is only offline franchise mode. Me vs the CPU. I pay zero attention to anything else that the game might offer. I played a little online in the PS2 days, around 2003-04. It was awful.

I basically want the game to be a great NFL GM/President of football ops simulator.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #62
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

Offline for the simple reason that I can pause and look at replays, play true sim and not have to talk into a headset
Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #63
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2011
Offline for the simple reason that I can pause and look at replays, play true sim and not have to talk into a headset
1)Replays are available after H2H in a SIM league (clips, stream archives, etc)
2)You can play true to SIM in SIM leagues
3)Headsets are not required in most leagues

I'm not downing the OFFLINE ONLY guys but it almost seems like you won't play vs real competition to a fault. No A.I. is ever (Madden related) gonna compare to battling vs a knowledgeable like minded SIM player in a league, or even unranked in scrimmages.

Growing up (ages 15-19) I always played 2K, and Madden offline franchise modes, but when I played a human opponent online the first time back in 2K8 it changed EVERYTHING. The human element from a competitive stand point can't EVEN begin to be compared to the A.I.

So to those that say things like''strictly, or only'' OFFLINE, you're really missing out on something that really brings the game to life, and that's H2H competition.

And I'm not talking about MUT aka ''they forgot about us'', I'm talking about a mode that requires no more than your time, football IQ and team building skills. Online CFM vs users is the best game mode there is if you can find yourself a quality league that fits your schedule.

There are SIM leagues that literally advance once per week, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one hour inside of one hundred and sixty eight.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Old 06-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #64
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I play basketball a few times a week, that is where I experience "real" competition. With video games, I don't want to have that mentality that comes with wanting to beat another person.

Playing against the CPU, I build my roster the way I want to, drafting, trading, signing players who may be less effective than some others for narrative reasons instead of min/maxing my team because I have to beat these other Users.

It's like using certain weapons and armor in the campaign of a shooter because you just like it better, instead of just using the equipment with the best stats like you would if you were playing multiplayer.

Even in the best of environments, ruthless utility most often ends up being the cornerstone of Multiplayer leagues. For example, offensive linemen couldn't get hurt in CFM, but I still always built my teams as if they could. I would imagine that even in sim leagues, players were cutting corners on the oline to get an advantage against other Users.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »