Home

In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot

This is a discussion on In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #25
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Probably going to go the route FIFA went where multiple years of Madden flesh out the story for the protagonist. To that end, separating the NFL experience from the "making it to the NFL" experience is perfectly reasonable storytelling.
Let me say, this mode had a lot of promise. It still has a lot of promise going forward but making it a movie that already determines the direction of the mode without the user dictating where it goes was the biggest mistake.

What you say makes sense, separating getting to the NFL and playing in the NFL is different. If they had worked this where you start out as a senior in high school, you play through one season of high school football. Depending the license use, you then get offers to play through 4 years of college football. Then after 4 years, it ends. Madden 19 then restarts the mode getting ready for the draft, and playing through the NFL.

Then after beating the mode, you get a MUT card of Devin Wade, you can use him in play now and add him to whatever team you want. Import him to Franchise and he's added to the draft class in your Franchise so you can draft him in franchise and play as him. So much potential, but just the wrong direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I'm hoping that's the way it ends. My gripe with player CFM all these years was having no draft process and just picking whatever team you wanted. Takes some of the immersion out of the experience.
That's the main thing I didn't like about Player CFM. Yes being able to auto-start, play with favorite team, or choosing team with that needs your player. I usually went with the latter. But it does take immersion out. I guess they wanted it to be user-friendly. But its not realistic at all. It gives us full control of how we start our career. I missed how it use to be where we got drafted.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #27
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

This isn't for me, but it was 100% always going to be added to Madden so I'm not going to waste any time complaining about its inclusion. I do agree with many in questioning many of the design choices for the first year of the mode. I'm fascinated to see how it plays out, because my first instinct is to feel like it's going to crash and burn.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #28
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23
In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
That's the main thing I didn't like about Player CFM. Yes being able to auto-start, play with favorite team, or choosing team with that needs your player. I usually went with the latter. But it does take immersion out. I guess they wanted it to be user-friendly. But its not realistic at all. It gives us full control of how we start our career. I missed how it use to be where we got drafted.

Yeah I appreciated the ability to choose how to start your career, I'd often do a second CFM and pick the Bears, so that was cool. But I always felt they should have went the route of The Show (prior to this year) where you could choose to enter the draft or just pick whatever team you want to be drafted by. For some reason though the notion that you can't give too many options continues to elude these game companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Yeah I appreciated the ability to choose how to start your career, I'd often do a second CFM and pick the Bears, so that was cool. But I always felt they should have went the route of The Show (prior to this year) where you could choose to enter the draft or just pick whatever team you want to be drafted by. For some reason though the notion that you can't give too many options continues to elude these game companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I wouldn't care if it was a simulated draft, I would like it. They can keep the choices the same. Where you choose first round, mid round and undrafted. But instead of choosing the team, you get drafted by a team in the round choice you choose. For example, you picked first round talent as a QB and you get automatically drafted #1 or #2. Or Mid round talent HB and get drafted in 4th round to Packers. Something like that would seem easily implemented.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

I'll try this mode out to at least hold me over to week 1 rosters. Even though I play CFM for last few years, I never liked playing as QB. I liked it in NCAA but that's about it.

My biggest question about this mode is that since you don't play NFL games and start at Regional Combine and stop at/after draft, how long does this mode takes to complete?

Because this seems like a mode this year that would only take 3-4 hours to complete since you are stopping at draft. If so than that would be a waste a time. If they are going to hype up this mode, this can't be a mode that you can complete on day one of buying it.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #31
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
For some reason though the notion that you can't give too many options continues to elude these game companies.
The designers and developers would love to give you more options, but options aren't free and they often aren't cheap. Something like a RtTS equivalent for Madden is basically two entire cycles of work if not more, that's not a reasonable ask for an "option", that's an entire feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 1

Sorry CM but with all due respect i disagree with you

as a Brit i should be scared of the game as its not native to my youth yet somehow i think i can handle it, by playing coach mode. when they have the SB here some numpty continually tries to explain the basics, if the game is to grow here then there needs to be another coverage thats more technical.

id prefer coordinators to be put in than this. i believe that one of the success factors for console games is re-playability, and longshot is a one shot uncustomisable deal. personally i couldnt care about "being a qb" and unlike films there are actually schoolkids that commit to excellence personally and dont face "adversity" and progress to college and play, not everyone's life is a film script. there are too good to be true stories, for example Patrick Willis's where nice people helped a troubled family which film makers hate as noone would believe it. Longshot is only going to be stereotypical scenarios and predictable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »