Home

Target passing

This is a discussion on Target passing within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #17
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Target passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
This feature has me the most curious about.

I need to practice with it and see what patterns I can utilize it best on.

My hope is it is seamless and not clumsy. Ease of use is the key.

I happen to love passing on M16/17 with all the different trajectories.

The only thing that was a bummer was the rail passing.

If this can allow us to just throw to a spot with ease and intuitive controls it can be a winner.

I will reserve any judgement until I actually play with it when the game drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Yup. Anything to remove that 'tether,' man. I really do think any type of short/medium throw will work out decently. And, the red zone. I'm totally digging this for the red zone. Lol. If it even just makes those animations look better without the tether, it will be worth it. And, on fly patterns, I'm thinking u just lob it still. But, possibly, on a shot play when u know u have heavy protection, maybe on a post or crossing route, throwing it to a spot might just give u that feeling of satisfaction, u know? Lol. U putting the ball where u want it.

Yeah, I'm getting a little geeked up to play with this, now, too. The only real negative is that QB ratings don't play into it, so u might see:
1. Early on, really LOW comp %, lol, just cause it's too hard at first, but
2. Maybe, really HIGH comp % once u get it down. Depends on the updated D, though, as well.

But, yeah, seriously, if it removes the tether, I'll try to stick with this for short/medium for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
This sounds like I won't like this feature for the same reason I didn't like the vision cone, it adds an extra step to the reading/throwing process that a QB doesn't face in real life. With the vision cone you had to read the defense, then make sure your cone was on the guy you want to throw to, then you hit the correct button to throw, but in real life you read the defense and then you throw. If I'm understanding the total control passing, you read the defense, select your target, place the cursor where you want to throw it and then you throw. In real life you'd just make your read if you need to alter your ball placement you do it without adding any steps to the process. I'd like it a lot better if you just used the left stick in combination with the button of which receiver you want to throw to, which I believe is how it's been done the past few years. Just have accuracy and awareness ratings tied to whether a QB can alter where he is throwing to place it in a spot where only his WR can get it
I feel like you were not using the cone properly from how I read this. A big issue with the vision cone was EA didn't introduce people to it properly. The majority of people didn't even realize you could snap the line of sight to any WR you wanted on the fly. They believed you had to use the thumbstick and pan across the field slowly to get to who you wanted to throw the ball to. That just wasn't the case and if that is exclusively how you used it, then it would be no wonder why you disliked the feature.

The whole idea of the cone was to simulate the eyes of the QB and allow users or even the CPU to look off defenders which is a huge part of the passing game. It worked really well when you used the snap feature to immediately jump back to the WR you wanted to throw it to. Let's face it, eyes snap back and forth when they target different things in life. A QB doesn't pan his eyes slowly across the field. He knows where his guys should be and will snap his eyes to that spot immediately. When you used the cone like that, it was truly an innovative feature that made the game so much better in my opinion. It hardly added any extra clutter to the controls. It was pretty simple to get down when you actually learned the ins and outs of the system. The issue was EA just not training people properly with it.

I doubt they ever bring the cone back anytime soon, so I am hoping that this new system will bring back some features of the cone like the ability to look off defenders. I don't know if they'll have it implemented, though, where a defender will read who you're targeting and drift that way in their zone. If they do, then oh boy!

― Plato
Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 PM   #19
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

Def going to like this especially on fade routes. If you put the cursor just beyond the back pylon, it should make for some interesting passing and catching animations. Tired of doing a fade route and the receiver has to came back or stop to catch it. This was def fun in nfl fever and I'm sure it will be here.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #20
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
I also wonder if there's a way to do a high/low throw with this mechanic. Also, back shoulders would be nice to see.
If I heard Rex correctly (don't remember which video), he said high / low pass isn't tied to LB/LT anymore, it's on the left stick. If you push up, it's a high throw. If you push down, it's a low throw.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #21
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

So is WR AWR gonna matter? Like if I make a throw to a spot will there be an auto adjust by a guy with 50 AWR?

I'll wait to see it in action before I judge

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #22
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

Correction: I think he said you now hold LB or RB and then the left stick modifies whether it is high/low
Old 06-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #23
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
If I heard Rex correctly (don't remember which video), he said high / low pass isn't tied to LB/LT anymore, it's on the left stick. If you push up, it's a high throw. If you push down, it's a low throw.

Yeah, that's the thing, though. It's either/or.

1. U use L2 + LS to aim the reticle. U then throw the ball. I'm assuming to throw 'high', I aim the reticle downfield past your WR. With L2, the ball just goes to the reticle.

2. Use LB + LS. Holding the LS up/down throws high/low.

So, u either aim the reticle and see what happens, or don't use the reticle, and u can still choose high/low.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #24
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yeah, that's the thing, though. It's either/or.

1. U use L2 + LS to aim the reticle. U then throw the ball. I'm assuming to throw 'high', I aim the reticle downfield past your WR. With L2, the ball just goes to the reticle.

2. Use LB + LS. Holding the LS up/down throws high/low.

So, u either aim the reticle and see what happens, or don't use the reticle, and u can still choose high/low.

Hmmm. Yeah, then I saw this on the twitter. Lol

This is actually impossible for me. I don't know how everyone does their buttons, but I use my index finger for LT OR LB, I can't do both, YO! Lol.

And, seriously, that's a bit much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »