Home

Madden 18: Target Passing Blog

This is a discussion on Madden 18: Target Passing Blog within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #65
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden 18: Target Passing Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
There are so many ways to make this work with ratings. Have the marker move slower/shake/zig zag more with Less accurate QBs, etc.

Honestly if we asked for ideas on how to implement this with ratings OS would have about 100 amazing ideas in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I agree. Just off the top of my head, you tie awareness to the icon showing where the receiver is going to be. Guys like Brady and Rodgers it would be there the whole time. Middle tier guys maybe it blinks or has less opacity or shows up in a wrong spot. And then guys with really low AWR don't get that icon at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #66
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
As far as Target Passing not being tied to ratings, let me play devil's advocate. The Devs have stressed that this feature will require a lot practice, and maybe if the feature was tied to ratings you'd have a situation where ( for many ) the feature would only be useable with the likes of Brady and Rodgers.

That's kind of the point though, I think. The blog even states "NFL quarterbacks like Tom Brady have an uncanny ability to throw with precision." This should be something that makes elite QB's more elite and separates them, not something that can propel sub-par QB's to making elite throws just because you're good with the mechanic, at least on simulation. It should be something that is far more difficult to use with guys like Mark Sanchez or Blaine Gabbert as opposed to the likes of Brady or Rodgers.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
There are so many ways to make this work with ratings. Have the marker move slower/shake/zig zag more with Less accurate QBs, etc.

Honestly if we asked for ideas on how to implement this with ratings OS would have about 100 amazing ideas in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
So quick question because this is good discussion when kept in the context of feasible application and not something that would require stepping outside of current functionality of ratings (i.e. Rebuild/restructure which is not going to happen)

If tied to a rating or combination of ratings, what would be the end game per say or sought after "impact" upon a diverse community of Users with various skill levels?

- Is it to replicate the NFL counterpart no matter the User's input and/or skill level is?

- Is it to provide a mechanism that increases/decreases the "challenge" aspect placed upon the User?

Every successful project, starts with an achievable end goal, so for those that say link Target Passing to certain rating(s), what's the end goal to be achieve by doing this?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #68
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I want a mix

All my reads given equal...I want to perform better with Tom Brady than Brian Hoyer.

I hate this lead passing mechanic in Madden. It needs to be within a catch radius IMO as opposed to completely changing the route.

It's just too unreal and gimmicky at this point. It's great for the competitive madden tourney crowd so they can override actual football. It sucks for those of us who want a 50 AWR WR and 50 AWR QB to not have access to easily changeable routes on the fly.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #69
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
- Is it to replicate the NFL counterpart no matter the User's input and/or skill level is?
On the simulation setting, absolutely. By making it a mechanic solely based on user skill, you essentially largely exclude it from the simulation realm. Same as if you implemented the mechanic solely based on ratings, the competitive side would hate the random nature of it.

Even with ratings playing a role user input would still be a factor as where you placed the icon would still matter, it would just become significantly more difficult to succeed with low-tier QB's even if user input was great which is what the simulation setting, in my mind, should always aim to provide and strive for and that's prioritizing ratings over user input. Without doing that then you can end up with a pseudo-sim setting that is more a mash-up of Sim and Competitive.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:50 AM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I want a mix

All my reads given equal...I want to perform better with Tom Brady than Brian Hoyer.

I hate this lead passing mechanic in Madden. It needs to be within a catch radius IMO as opposed to completely changing the route.

It's just too unreal and gimmicky at this point. It's great for the competitive madden tourney crowd so they can override actual football. It sucks for those of us who want a 50 AWR WR and 50 AWR QB to not have access to easily changeable routes on the fly.
I love the part from blog that said we can throw the ball into the middle of two zones, making receiver settle down into that spot. Man, if this is possible kudos for them.

Another point to consider is that we will not be able to use on every situation so qb ratings do really matter, except in rare occasions when you have a clean perfect pocket to make those passes.

So, basically we are getting another possibility to get realism into the game. With some flaws (no ratings) of course, but a step ahead from last year. And for who plays vs cpu.. Just don't use it.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #71
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
On the simulation setting, absolutely. By making it a mechanic solely based on user skill, you essentially largely exclude it from the simulation realm. Same as if you implemented the mechanic solely based on ratings, the competitive side would hate the random nature of it.

Even with ratings playing a role user input would still be a factor as where you placed the icon would still matter, it would just become significantly more difficult to succeed with low-tier QB's even if user input was great which is what the simulation setting, in my mind, should always aim to provide and strive for and that's prioritizing ratings over user input. Without doing that then you can end up with a pseudo-sim setting that is more a mash-up of Sim and Competitive.
This is a perfect answer.

It's clear that with the way that Target Passing is currently tuned, that it is a completely competitive mechanic, and that if one chooses to use it, even on sim mode, then one is making a decision to circumvent ratings based passing.

As we've been discussing, maybe in the future a refinement of the mechanic based on ratings can be implemented, but I doubt that it will be this year.

Revisiting something else that has been talked about for a while now, I think that a fair amount of Madden players who think of themselves as sim or competitive gamers respectively , may end up switching styles in Madden 18.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #72
Rookie

Greenblood60's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
That's kind of the point though, I think. The blog even states "NFL quarterbacks like Tom Brady have an uncanny ability to throw with precision." This should be something that makes elite QB's more elite and separates them, not something that can propel sub-par QB's to making elite throws just because you're good with the mechanic, at least on simulation. It should be something that is far more difficult to use with guys like Mark Sanchez or Blaine Gabbert as opposed to the likes of Brady or Rodgers.
Yes, theoretically only the Brady's of the world should be able to throw with precision, but if you have a feature that is only relevant with a handful of quarterbacks the future of that feature might be in question. Target Passing may go the way of the vision cone.

I would like some variance as to the placement of the ball. Meaning (even with the most accurate passer ) the ball will not go exactly where you want it every single time.

Last edited by Greenblood60; 07-23-2017 at 10:04 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »