Home

Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB?

This is a discussion on Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:38 AM   #33
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB?

This was my methodology for learning to get better at passing...
When Madden first went 3D which for me was Madden 2000 I would always lock onto a specific receiver and stare him down and throw the ball at what I thought was the best time. There was no reading of defenses.

When Madden introduced the vision cone I would select my primary receiver but I learned to look off a defensive back. I could make 2 reads after the play was snapped but this still lead to bad passes and bad decisions.

When Madden introduced the skills trainer a few years ago it really got me used to reading a defense presnap. My qb play went from reactive to proactive. And it was small steps.

One of the key things for me at first was learning take a note of the safeties. Is there one or two? Were they coming up to blitz or dropping back? This gave me an idea who my first read was gonna be. Single high safety? I'm looking at my outside receivers first. This is all done pre snap. 2 high safeties I'm looking at my slot receiver or tight end.

After the ball is snapped I look at the safeties and notice what they do. Then the linebackers. If they blitz I'm looking at the hot read which usually means a tight end or running back should be where you want to go or a slot receiver running a drag or slant in the middle.

These are all just examples but the idea is just start with one part of reading defenses and add on as you get more comfortable. But it starts with before the ball is snapped then adding on postsnap reads and decisions. You'll feel good that you actually beat a defense with your mind than just throwing it and hoping you made the right decision. But it doesn't come overnight and it does take practice and reps in practice mode to get proficient at it.

Sent from my LGAS992 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-29-2017, 02:47 AM   #34
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

A good simplification is to begin by reading passing lanes.

Choose a side of the ball. This should generally be the side away from the best positioned safety (that's relative, which safety is best positioned to defend your deepest receiver to their side).

Read lanes post-snap. Play ground ball- just figure out if you have a clean throwing path to the catch spot. Make a decision quickly and throw just before the break (a split second after the passing icon goes opaque). Or check down to the next deepest. Finally, throw outlet.

This will get you going until you start picking up on defensive tells like shells and corner depth.

The hardest aspect of this method is having the patience to let 2nd level defenders commit. Remember, sacks are better than picks, so don't rush a throw if you're not sure the nickleback is biting on the underneath route.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:52 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yeah, safeties are huge for me. If I see a single high safety, I've got a QB with a good arm, and my WR can break the press, I'm sending it deep. Slants can be tricky, especially if the safety drops down at the end of the route and can jump it.

Thankfully, super-LBs in Madden no longer exist (or so they claim) so feel free to run an inside corner and drop a floater over their heads. Otherwise, it's all about timing and knowing your personnel.

"Nobody can defend the perfect pass." -Dan Marino

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 AM   #36
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Looks like everyone covered how to read a defense, so I'll just give a link to a YouTube video about How to Beat Cover 2, by Sgibs. There is also videos for how to beat cover 3, cover 4, M2M, etc. cause it is nice to know what the defense is, but doesn't help if you don't know how to beat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4KkfZySRsg
Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

One big tip that is easier said than done, take what the defense gives you.

If you call strong flood from a trips formation and you have the flat, take the flat. Don't sit and wait to see if the deep out becomes available.

Its easier said than done, we all get greedy and force things sometimes, but try not to
Old 08-29-2017, 06:01 AM   #38
Rookie

I just look at my 1st or 2nd read, if neither open then I'll see if I'm getting rushed or if there's a hole to run, or if I have time to look at more receiving options.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

My favorite offensive formation is Gun Trips TE or any of its many similar variants. Much easier to read zone or man before snapping the ball because no other offensive player is on the side of the TE. So if there are several defensive players to the side of your TE, it's probably zone - otherwise man.

Have a custom playbook ready with good audibles that beat both man and zone. Speed outs and ins are man-busters, but so are corner routes. If you're not sure whether they're in man or zone, you can always make some guy run a slant, drag, out....to play it safe.

Lab, lab, and lab some more against random zones & man defense. Look for primary, secondary, tertiary receivers. I've done this with my Gun Trips TE formations enough so that I feel prepared vs. any coverage or blitz that I see.

I run other formations other than just Gun Trips TE, but this is a good start I think for anyone. I notice the greatest Madden Tournament player of all time (Eric Problem Wright) was using the Patriots playbook just this past week and it has the BEST gun trips TE plays of any playbook out there. It's all about custom playbooks and good audibles in my opinion, and LABBING practice.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

I read the defense first to see if they're blitzing or in zone or man or a combination. I then scan the field for my primary receiver and if he's covered I then check down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »