Home

Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB?

This is a discussion on Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #41
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Where are you looking on the field when you are playing QB?

After I hike the ball it's always a quick look at the LBs, then safeties to see if there's a blitz or anything funky going on. Then immediately to my #1 option from my pre-snap read. If he's not open, I take a quick glance at the pocket to see how that situation is playing out, then on to my other targets or a QB scramble if I'm out of time.

For me, the key is to never stare down anything. Always keep your eyes darting and scanning the field and don't forget to check back in on your pocket/pressure and you'll be alright.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
This is pretty much spot on. But, I wanna add a couple things.

It was this way in Madden 17, and is more so in Madden 18. You have to THINK like a coach. Being able to read the coverage is great. But, you also have to know how to BEAT the coverage once you read it.

I know it doesn't exactly fit the topic, but in a way it does. Before you can focus on reading the defense, you have to KNOW your playbook. You have to know your personnel. For instance, if you have a power back with average speed, you probably won't be able to bust outside runs that often. If your receivers are slow, then running fly routes probably isn't a good thing to do all the time. KNOW your offense, and what you do well. Set up your audibles. Have a play that can beat any coverage. Have a deep pass, a play action pass, a slant, or screen, and a run play.

Probably 80% of the time, I don't call a play, I call a FORMATION. I have an idea of what I want to do. But, the defensive coverage will dictate what I will actually do. First thing I do is look at the number of defensive backs, and how many players are "In the box" 6 or less players in the box, and I automatically audible to a run play. More than 6, then I read the coverage. See where the safeties are, and how close the corners are lined up to your receivers. Reading the position of the safeties can give you a relatively good idea of the type of coverage. If the corners are right up on the line, they are most likely playing press. Press coverage can be susceptible to deep routes. If the corners are playing off the receiver (giving them a cushion) then adjust your route with a hot route.

If you read a certain coverage, have a play in mind that will beat it, and audible to it.

In a nutshell, what I'm saying, is 80% of the time, I don't actually call the play I want to run, until I am at the line of scrimmage.
How can you tell the number of defensive backs? The defensive formation is not displayed the way offense is (i.e. 1TE 3WR or 2TE 2WR etc.) at the play-call screen - at least I haven't seen it.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #43
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
How can you tell the number of defensive backs? The defensive formation is not displayed the way offense is (i.e. 1TE 3WR or 2TE 2WR etc.) at the play-call screen - at least I haven't seen it.
For starters, your Defensive Linemen will be in a 3 point stance or 4 point stance; get those out of the way so you know ur front. Everyone else is in a crouched position; a simple way to get used to how many DB's there are is, just remember that if you come out in a 2 WR set, there will generally be 4 DB's - 2 safeties and 2 CB's.

If you 3 WR set: 3 CB's and 2 Safeties.
IF 4 WR set: 3 CB's, 2 safeties and either an extra CB or Safety.

2 CB's will be on the far outside of the formation. If you see one high defender in the middle of the field, that is a safety, and that means you have another safety in the box (closer to the line of scrimmage) and will be inside the 2 far outside CB's, but outside your Middle LB(s).

Best way to learn, IMO, is go into practice mode and pick a defense from each formation, like 3-4, 4-3, nickle, dime, quarter, run a play and then go into replay mode and take note of the players in the defensive formation and then go to the roster/depth chart and see which players are which for each formation. then map it out on a paper so u have it next to u while u play for easy reference.

(I always have to write stuff down and it works wonders for me as I am learning)

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 08-29-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #44
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Looks like everyone covered how to read a defense, so I'll just give a link to a YouTube video about How to Beat Cover 2, by Sgibs. There is also videos for how to beat cover 3, cover 4, M2M, etc. cause it is nice to know what the defense is, but doesn't help if you don't know how to beat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4KkfZySRsg
That guy beat me in a drinking contest once because the goddamn waiter walked by and randomly added more everclear to my drink right in the middle of it.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Look at the defense (Not trying to sound condescending, or sarcastic) The defensive backs will normally either be lined up opposite a receiver, or back in a safety position. Linebackers will be in the "box" (Imagine a box from the line of scrimmage to 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, and the box extends the length of your offensive line plus tight end(s) plus a yard on either side. Any one lined up outside this "box" is most likely a defensive back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2017, 10:47 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
There unfortunately isn't any way to tell in the game. They need to make an easier way of identifying who is on the field on defense and where they're positioned
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Was my response to this question earlier in the thread not helpful?
I don't know if maybe you missed it or not.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Was my response to this question earlier in the thread not helpful?
I don't know if maybe you missed it or not.
I think he's referring to the fact that it's very difficult to tell in the game when someone has subbed in on defense. If they bring in a 3rd corner in place of a LB, it's really tough to tell unless they have a piece of equipment that makes them easy to spot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »