Home

Madden NFL 18: Initially It Seems A Step (But Not a Leap) Forward

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18: Initially It Seems A Step (But Not a Leap) Forward within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #17
Rookie

thechef128's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18: Initially It Seems A Step (But Not a Leap) Forward

Not gonna read this whole article. Just gonna post my thoughts. The game obviously looks better. The passing game is better. I love that coaching adjustments are finally in the game (shoudlve been there years ago when NCAA had it). My biggest issue is the run game when playing the CPU (on all madden) yes the line blocks smarter and find the right guys but it's still and issue that as soon as your get to the line with your back, the computer just sheds the block and makes the tackle. In 4 games I don't think I totaled 100 yds. I can pass all day and pick the d apart but the run game is non existent. Madden needs to work on this next year (or patch this year if possible) idk how a guy maintains his block but as soon as I'm next to him is when he can't hold his block anymore. Even with me putting "blocking" on aggressive and me playing with sliders didn't really help
Old 08-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #18
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

I haven't purchased Madden in years, but will most likely skip again. In my two games, it seemed QB completion rates were being dictated by constant WR drops. *If they could fix that, then I'm all in. *Nothing like 3 and outs because you hit 3 wide open receivers for them to drop the ball. *A variety of over throws and under throws would fix this, not drops.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #19
Rookie

ginix's Arena

Baby steps. Exactly what I want to hear after 10 years of mediocrity.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
The only thing I care about improving right now is Franchise.

Franchise for Madden 17 was alright.

I expected more from Madden 18, and got nothing.

If they keep on taking these baby steps, we might get the madden we want by about Madden 2050.
The team put up a giant middle finger to Franchise this year. This is the first year I am straight-out not buying Madden. If the Show doesn't step up their Franchise game, I'm out next year too. Even though basketball is my least favorite of the major sports, I WILL buy 2k because they continue to invest in MyGM. They're the only dev team, it seems, to give anything more than lip service to franchise mode.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Hopefully, the reviewer was able to put some time into coaching adjustments because it wasn't mentioned in the article that they did spend time with it.

Huge game changer in and of itself. QB's don't stand around like statues and take a sack using coaching adjustments, which leads to off mark throws and lower CPU completion percentages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechef128
NMy biggest issue is the run game when playing the CPU (on all madden) yes the line blocks smarter and find the right guys but it's still and issue that as soon as your get to the line with your back, the computer just sheds the block and makes the tackle.
Probably my biggest issue with the game gameplay-wise. When Rex or whoever it was admitted last year that the turbo button acts as a defender block-shed-pursuit buff, I was DISGUSTED. There are plenty of times when a hole opens and a back SHOULD step on the gas, but in this game that's an invitation to death. It's a bull**** cheat-buff for the CPU that circumvents actually having to simulate real football. And I don't care if I run for 100 yards or 10 yards, I want it to feel like real football.

That, plus the horrid tackling animations, specifically against RB's. My guy gets caught from behind, FALLS BACKWARDS, and goes into that taking a crap/lassoed animation. Happens, what, 20 times a game?
Old 08-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #23
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Hopefully, the reviewer was able to put some time into coaching adjustments because it wasn't mentioned in the article that they did spend time with it.

Huge game changer in and of itself. QB's don't stand around like statues and take a sack using coaching adjustments, which leads to off mark throws and lower CPU completion percentages.

I saw another post of yours mentioning this. From what you're describing, it sounds kind of bad, imo. Meaning, from what I'm hearing, you're saying that 'if' we put pass rush to 'aggressive,' suddenly the CPU QB plays more realistically? Lol. I mean, this just sounds like another one of those poorly implemented madden things. Do u actually generate more rush? Or, does it matter? Because, if this is the case, it just sounds like another 'artificial' switch put in. Instead of the CPU QB AI sensing any pressure on any given play, this coaching adjustment 'tells' him to be 'jittery' or 'more aware' of the rush regardless of whether or not a player is in his face?

So, I mean, this is good to know. But, it still doesn't really solve the overall QB AI. Sort of a bandaid, maybe. Geez. Madden, oh how thou infuriate me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky

So, I mean, this is good to know. But, it still doesn't really solve the overall QB AI. Sort of a bandaid, maybe. Geez. Madden, oh how thou infuriate me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, the bandaid fix is what they did last year with the nano blitz, and it nerfed even guys that were ASSIGNED to blitz that you controlled. Ridiculous.

And it's absolutely what they did to the speed burst. Like I said in a previous post, pressing that button triggers any defenders close to you to disengage blocks and heatseek towards you like bats out of hell. The ULTIMATE band aid fix...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »