Home

EA Needs to completely overhaul the QB play above and beyond just awareness rating

This is a discussion on EA Needs to completely overhaul the QB play above and beyond just awareness rating within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: EA Needs to completely overhaul the QB play above and beyond just awareness ratin

Was this Herbert's follow through last year, or has it been updated? And his knee is straight which I'm not used to seeing in Madden.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 06-08-2022, 06:41 PM   #18
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: EA Needs to completely overhaul the QB play above and beyond just awareness ratin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycoa
I wish madden had the real life qb completion percentage like the real free throw percentage tab like nba 2k. Qbs also need to move in the pocket after 2.5 seconds.

Using a quarterback’s completion percentage as a proxy for how he completes any pass in any football context would be woefully inadequate, that’s why we don’t have it.

Free throws are performed a controlled environment - shooter, ball, and hoop. It is dead simple. There are so many more variables to consider for how effective a quarterback is at passing, too many to list.

It wouldn’t be impossible to build a “real completion percentage” system, but let’s all recognize that it would take much more information to build correctly and in a manner which would stand up to scrutiny than just doing a simple dice roll against a QB’s real-life raw completion percentage.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:26 PM   #19
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

OVR: 0

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
First off, I'm going to start off by saying I have not played the Madden 23 beta and my post is strictly about how Madden has for a decade used the same ratings and logic to Simulate QB play.

I was reading the Madden 23 gameplay gridiron notes and came across this information by EA as to how the QB's will differ.

https://www.ea.com/games/madden-nfl/...ional-football

AI-Quarterbacks
AI-quarterbacks have been tuned to give better differentiation in how well they see the field under pressure depending on their ratings. Quarterbacks with a lower awareness rating will struggle to find open receivers and have a higher chance of throwing to a partially covered target, allowing your defense to make a big play.

Now here's my issue with that statement by EA. They say this every year and the results are the same no true separation amongst the AI QB's.

Let's dig into the ratings they have for all QB's.

EA started out with just throw Power and Throw Accuracy to rate QB's along with Awareness.

Then in 2011 EA added the short, medium, long and PA rating to each QB. (BTW that PA Rating should be something that CPU QB's actually utilize to fool the Human defense based on their rating, but it doesn't)

In 2019 they proceeded to add the Throw Under Pressure, Throw on Run and Break Sack rating.

The QB Traits were added a few years ago which were supposed to add tendencies to each QB.

Now here's the problem despite all those ratings being added over the past decade only the Awareness rating seems to dictate their actual gameplay.

And for the record all scrambling QB's do the same thing as well. They run and slide without any real purpose it seems like. They could pick up 5-10 yards extra sometimes and they will still slide and give up as if there's no true ball carrier logic.

Here we are going on Madden 23, and they are highlighting Awareness as being the driving force.

QB play in Madden is generic and redundant. Despite all these ratings the QB's have no true identity. Unlike NBA 2K where the players move and react like their real-life counter parts Madden QB's all do the same exact things.

I was reading the 23 Beta impressions and the poster named schaidt1 posted this feedback

Cpu qb play still leaves a lot to be desired-
They do not attempt enough deep or medium range throws, lots of dinking n dunking.
They still instantly snap the ball at line of scrimmage
They don't try to draw you offsides
They rarely, rarely audible
They move around in the pocket, but rarely take off and scramble past the line of scrimmage.

Playcalling needs a revamp
Cpu playcalling is bad. 3rd and 5 from the opponents 12 yard line, yup let's call 4 verts.
4 verts in general is called/suggested way to often

When I read that feedback it immediately frustrated me because here we are on NG systems and QB's are still doing the same things.

This was my response without having to type everything over again

I guess I should be upset at this point to hear about those issues still being in the game but at this point I've just grown used to it by EA.

Just seems like we never get authentic/dynamic QB play by the CPU. They will each react and think the same until there's some kind of Rating or tendency that goes above and beyond just the Awareness rating they assign guys.

Maybe adding somethings like Improvise ability, Pre Snap read ability, Clock Management awareness, Man vs Zone Coverage(s) recognize ability into the Tendency Category might be helpful. But what ever they (EA) are doing simply isn't working because it's just copy and paste over and over again year after year.

In fact the last time I recall a QB even doing audibles was Peyton Manning back in like Madden 12 or 13 I believe. He would point out defenders and change plays multiple times.

Seems like EA should have the ability to bring in 6-8 of the top QB's in the league and find a way to replicate their tendencies into the game with these high-powered systems.

Now to wrap this thing up as I mentioned in the Beta thread, I'm still get Madden 23 because I love Football and there's no other options for me to play.

But come on EA you got to completely overhaul this QB logic system. Despite having short, medium and long accuracy ratings 80% of the time the QB's aren't using those ratings. The bottom line is in SIMULATION when you SIM the games only Awareness matters and then on the field when we play the game your still only representing these QB's with the basic awareness rating.

We go and adjust sliders trying to get the best QB play by the CPU and in reality, the Sliders aren't changing your QB logic. It's not changing how they read defenses or how they execute their own team's offense.

I know the majority of the people who play Madden don't play vs the AI so it's not issue. But there are those of us who still prefer to play vs the AI offline and for the past decade your QB Awareness logic has never changed and your posting a gridiron note for Madden 23 hyping Awareness as if it's never been as important before
Instead of all this, You could of just said, Madden still sucks but I'm still buying it.

Last edited by Rayzaa; 06-08-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #20
Rookie

If anything, add more QB Cadences to the game. Daniel Jones is in his 4th year and still no cadence for him. With the exception of rookies, all cadences should be in the game. I know it is a little thing but it adds to the realism of the game. The generic cadences they have in the game are awful.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:35 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzaa
W

Instead of all this, You could of just said, Madden still sucks but I'm still buying it.
Lmao

What part of that breakdown of QB ratings did you come accross me saying or implying that the game sucks?

You do realize sports games can still be fun and enjoyable even if they have a specific flaw?

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2022, 02:56 AM   #22
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

The ratings and traits are all there to make this work. They just need to be applied and make a difference.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #23
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie71
The ratings and traits are all there to make this work. They just need to be applied and make a difference.
I've seen madden do beautiful things at times with all positions. I'm at the point of thinking it's this way to keep sales up year to year. I'm looking at it like, if they gave us a living game with Grade A gameplay /offseason moves/ and progression/regression, we'd probably never buy another madden.

If u can sell a broken car, why lose money buying a new one to sell, when u can keep cashing in on lemons.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »