Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: Creating 'Sim-Style' Gameplay

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: Creating 'Sim-Style' Gameplay within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #97
Rookie

GKEnialb's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog: Creating 'Sim-Style' Gameplay

Amazing stuff! Is it only for PS3 / 360?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #98
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Ian man ya'll doin a brotha proud....keep it up....do me one more favor tho check-out the Playmaker Poll and weigh-in
Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #99
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

Nice work Ian and co, nice to see you getting some love these days. Madden 10 looks great.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #100
MVP

BSanders's Arena

OVR: 11

Nice... I always wanted a Sim style football game and it seems like you are going in the right direction.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #101
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Great adjustments to the game. Very nice.

I did read the notation you made that the 40 times doesn't determine the players speed, and that others things factor in to it. Man I'm so glad to have read that, and it really expresses that you guys are really understanding what the NFL is about.

Just one thing I wanted to point out, and that is no player in the NFL at all should have a speed rating below 75 period.

Here is a log of what was recorded in this year combine and the slowest time was ran by a Offensive lineman. Here are the numbers for the Lineman

Name Time
Murtha, Lydon 4.89
Meredith, Jamon 5.03
Fulton, Xavier 5.04
Beatty, William 5.12
Cadogan, Gerald 5.12
Luigs, Jonathan 5.14
Bell, Joel 5.15
Britton, Eben 5.16
Walker, Brandon 5.17
Cooper, Jon 5.18
Smith, Jason 5.22

You can see the slowest time was 5.22, nowhere near where your chart went. What this is telling us is that the game of football is very different than what it was in the past. Players from all positions have really good speed. This is crazy the slowest time ran by a O lineman is only 0.82 hundredths of a second away from Percy Harvin's 4.41.

Now here is something interesting. Percy Harvin who runs extremely fast, and in this years NCAA I believe was given a 98 speed rating, and I do agree with it. Now looking at what he did in the 40 time your chart would not had given him that rating. He ran a 4.41 and is 6th on the list for WR's, and We all know that Percy deserves a 98 speed rating.

Please note EA: I know your chart isn't the final factor for the speed rating, but I'm just mentioning it to prove my point about the 40.

Name Time
Heyward-Bey, Darrius 4.30
Wallace, Mike 4.33
Knox, Johnny 4.34
Butler, Deon 4.38
Thomas, Mike 4.40
Harvin, Percy 4.41
Underwood, Tiquan 4.41
Byrd, Demetrius 4.42
Murphy, Louis 4.43
McKinley, Kenny 4.44

Im really glad to see that the person responsible for speed ratings is looking into other factors than the 40 time. I feel the one thing the 40 time can really determine accurately is the acceleration rating. The speed rating can truly only be determined by watching film.

Im sure for those that really know the game. The 40 time is one thing but actual game speed tells a whole other story, and in the end the truth on how fast they really are.

I have seen Defensive lineman in the NFL chase down WR's , and Im sure their 40 time was nothing close to that WR's 40 time.

The other rating that does factor into speed is fatigue. How long can they hold that speed, and that will also determine if a player can be caught from behind.

Here is a video of Ahmad Bradsaw who breaks a run but runs out of Gas, and gets caught. He is fast but since he got tired he gets caught from behind. What caused him to tire was that he had to counter one way then run about 8 yrds laterally then make a few miss then try and go paydirt. Where the defender that caught him didn't have to do all that. Fatigue hit Bradshaw.

Here is another run where he didnt have to do as much and was able to pull away.

I just wanted to mention that a few things factor in to the overall speed of a player, and the whole breakaway aspect of it also.

I hope this info I provided is helpful
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #102
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: Madden NFL 10 blog 3/9/09 - 'Sim Style' Gameplay

Its amazing, all these past weeks Ian has been giving us this "technical" info. Making sure none of it is really big news that steals the thunder from their marketing department, and yet everything he's given us so far is important enough to me to warrant a spot on the back of the box. I know that area is reserved for the flashy features that catch the eye of the casual gamers browsing at a store, but everything we've been given lately is more important IMO. Keep it up, cannot wait for next weeks blog.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #103
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

The fact that the QB dropback has been slowed down and the mere mention of timing playing a factor in the passing game has me
Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #104
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Next week we will continue this topic a little deeper and talk about a topic that is very important to our team - player locomotion, momentum, direction changes, and turn rates.
Ian when you guys showcase this stuff next week, if you do prototype videos, can you do one that shows how this stuff will play out on defense as well? For instance, it would be cool to see how well DE's and OLB's turn the corner, or make that arc against a offensive tackle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »