Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 New Screenshots (1-25-10)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 New Screenshots (1-25-10) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #97
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 New Screenshots (1-25-10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I've complained about it with The Show as well (maybe not in the forums).
Because it's more hip to complain about 2K

Disclaimer: this is a joke, for those who have a hard time discerning, haha.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #98

OVR: 34

Quote:
I never understood that feature one bit. It has been a problem since 2K3 that any sort of "guess pitch" feature has shown up while the pitcher was in his windup.

The point is to be able to read these things like the players, right? Well how the hell can they read it before they even throw the ball? Believe me, major leaguers (especially Sabathia) don't tip pitches quite like little leaguers do. This is essentially a poorly implemented feature that I will be glad to turn off when I play this game.

It's always like VC has the right ideas and they sound like they could be good on paper, but there is always a catch to them.
Kirk Gibson was all over Eckersly's famous backdoor slider. He talks about knowing it was coming and preparing for it. They said it doesn't happen with every pitch and won't with average hitters. I agree with possible implementation issues, but hitters do know tendencies and some times they know right.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #99
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Because it's more hip to complain about 2K

Disclaimer: this is a joke, for those who have a hard time discerning, haha.
Haha, it's not so much that as it is this feature has sort of just stayed in The Show and hasn't been touched. They're not touting on the back of the box and it's not one of their mainstay reasons to promote their game and biggest improved (or should I say "changed") aspect of the sport. In this case, the marketing videos have been saying this year it's all about the pitcher versus the batter, and so far all I'm seeing is potentially pinpointed control, no check swings, and an unrealistic baseball feel when it comes to reading pitches and locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Kirk Gibson was all over Eckersly's famous backdoor slider. He talks about knowing it was coming and preparing for it. They said it doesn't happen with every pitch and won't with average hitters. I agree with possible implementation issues, but hitters do know tendencies and some times they know right.
There's a difference between knowing tendencies and knowing the pitch. Hell, sometimes I can even hear the catcher shuffling behind me and where they're going to pitch me, but that says nothing about what's going to actually happen with the pitch. We actually had a tendencies thing with Inside Edge, and IMO that was good enough (that was actually a pretty decently done feature, though I have some other ideas for it as well).

They're playing a kids game with us, and I'm not liking that they are. Take that crap off my screen.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 01-26-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #100
MVP

OVR: 13

Blzer, did you ever play Home Run Kings on the GameCube?

A player tried to "guess" the pitch prior to the wind-up. The hitting cursor then changed shape to match the break of the pitch-type selected. It was a great touch in an otherwise mediocre (but beautiful for its time) game.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #101
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Blzer, did you ever play Home Run Kings on the GameCube?

A player tried to "guess" the pitch prior to the wind-up. The hitting cursor then changed shape to match the break of the pitch-type selected. It was a great touch in an otherwise mediocre (but beautiful for its time) game.
Never got to play it, but it was the game that had the video of Bonds homering into McCovey Cove, posted on this site. It was because of that game and that video that I even found this site for the first time, and ultimately registered as a result.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #102
Rookie

OVR: 2

i hope hitting home runs is based off of timing and bat to ball placement this year.

^^^ this better not be a homerun like it would be in 2k9

Last edited by KeMiKaL; 01-26-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #103

OVR: 34

Quote:
Haha, it's not so much that as it is this feature has sort of just stayed in The Show and hasn't been touched. They're not touting on the back of the box and it's not one of their mainstay reasons to promote their game and biggest improved (or should I say "changed") aspect of the sport. In this case, the marketing videos have been saying this year it's all about the pitcher versus the batter, and so far all I'm seeing is potentially pinpointed control, no check swings, and an unrealistic baseball feel when it comes to reading pitches and locations.

There's a difference between knowing tendencies and knowing the pitch. Hell, sometimes I can even hear the catcher shuffling behind me and where they're going to pitch me, but that says nothing about what's going to actually happen with the pitch. We actually had a tendencies thing with Inside Edge, and IMO that was good enough (that was actually a pretty decently done feature, though I have some other ideas for it as well).

They're playing a kids game with us, and I'm not liking that they are. Take that crap off my screen.
Knowing tendencies helps you know the pitch. I know you have played etc. etc. etc. and you make good points in various posts, but I think you are borderline stubborn here. We are talking about a feature the user can turn on and off. These games aren't made to everyone's liking. Some games I disable the entire soundtrack because I feel it's awful. I took the silly weapons feature out of Madden when you could. The list goes on and on.

This is where some begin to feel there is an agenda to hate on the game simply because they don't want it to succeed. You may say that's not you, and I'm sure it's not, but continually being so passionate about a feature you can turn off gives the impression you can't be pleased, or maybe you don't even want to be pleased. That's the impression, not saying it is you, just the impression I get.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #104
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Knowing tendencies helps you know the pitch. I know you have played etc. etc. etc. and you make good points in various posts, but I think you are borderline stubborn here. We are talking about a feature the user can turn on and off. These games aren't made to everyone's liking. Some games I disable the entire soundtrack because I feel it's awful. I took the silly weapons feature out of Madden when you could. The list goes on and on.
I understand that, but along with My Player this seems to be one of their bigger touted features. It's so highly touted that previewers even forget to mention that things like check swings are omitted. When two of the bigger features of a game put in are two things I won't even use, it makes me wonder how much I can appreciate the other things improved on in this game since they maybe weren't worked on as much.

Quote:
This is where some begin to feel there is an agenda to hate on the game simply because they don't want it to succeed. You may say that's not you, and I'm sure it's not, but continually being so passionate about a feature you can turn off gives the impression you can't be pleased, or maybe you don't even want to be pleased. That's the impression, not saying it is you, just the impression I get.
I see how you feel and I see what kind of impression that you're getting, but I think most people here used to see me as a 2K homer actually. It wasn't that, it was that I liked that game more and what they did with it. But now it has been a couple of years that I have seen one developing team show their devotion to a game by asking around the community and programming keeping the sport of baseball in mind, and I see another team that doesn't have that same mentality. I've seen which one has worked and which one has fallen flat. That's why I made the 12 minute YouTube video, because I truly care about 2K and want to try and give them my input on how they are flawing themselves to the point of... well... failure.

I'm excited to see the first batch of gameplay videos, which will unfortunately show these features as well as every other default such as the camera. I hope the demo provides us with options unlike last year though, because I need to be able to see what this game looks like when tweaked. VC just needs to think from a baseball perspective before a video game perspective IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »