Home

MLB 2K11 Developer Insight #1 - Marketing Looks Back at MLB 2K10

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Developer Insight #1 - Marketing Looks Back at MLB 2K10 within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K11 Developer Insight #1 - Marketing Looks Back at MLB 2K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksFan4Life
I don't understand how 2K can afford to give away a million dollars.... i mean that money given away has to affect them somehow as a company...

Not really Take 2 earned over 40 million last year overall so that is not a big problem........But I would like to know why is that a big story...It's like please buy my game we are giving away 1 million dollars......How about you give us a million information about a game...How's that?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksFan4Life
I don't understand how 2K can afford to give away a million dollars.... i mean that money given away has to affect them somehow as a company...
They can't afford NOT to give away million dollars. They get more than a million's worth of coverage from all kinds of outlets, including the morning shows that will do a human interest story on the kid that won the money last year. Those are parents that will buy the game for their kids, and never have to bring up the quality of the game in the entire piece.

All kinds of news shows on TV, web sites, and forums will end up adding additional discussion of the game. They hope that folks will also mention how good the game was last year, too.

It's just another way to buy ad time.

That said, I was pretty disappointed that this was the first info we got. But really, it's not a big deal. What the devs tell me will have nothing to do with how good the game is. It's just another part of the spin.

It's not good or bad. It just is. It's kind of sad how entitled many of us act here.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #35
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Wow. This game is set to release in a month and a half and we virtually have zero info on it, except who's on the cover.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #36
MVP

myghty's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
Wow. This game is set to release in a month and a half and we virtually have zero info on it, except who's on the cover.
And that they are giving away a million dollars...

Yup, pretty dissapointing so far but I did not expect any more than this. Its the same every year. Other companies advertise months & months in advance, you would think they would follow suit.

PS5/PSN: myghty
Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #37
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

The 1st Developer Insight last year was relatively fluffy as well, then the 2nd one got into the meat and potatoes of the game, and they were pretty good from then on. So I guess I'm not really surprised that it's kind of the same this year. 2K's marketing does drive me nuts because it could be so much better, but as Joe said, it is what it is......As long as the game is good, I can live with their lame marketing.

Last edited by jeffy777; 01-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 2

So their first commercial was footage from last year and their first insight is looking back at last year?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #39
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

The 1 mil comes from an insurance company, if it's anything like other promotions...not 2k. They pay 200,000 give away 1mil
Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 29

Gross just Gross, I really try and stay optimistic with any baseball game, but this is very annoying. Its like its the first inning and 2K's starter just gave up a grand slam....
Not a good start.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »