Home

MLB 2K13 Official Trailer

This is a discussion on MLB 2K13 Official Trailer within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #97
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: MLB 2K13 Official Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Why not sell it for 40?
That has been my thought for the last few weeks. And it didn't occur to be until rudy's post a few back, but now it makes sense to me that 2K is putting almost all of their focus on the Million Dollar challenge. Obviously just speculation on my part. But the guys who are buying the game for the $$$ challenge can't wait around for a price drop. And their decision to buy isn't going to hinge on the game details/improvements that us folks on OS care about.

That certainly isn't the strategic direction that I wanted to see them take. But if that is the route they are going, then it makes sense to charge $60 out of the gate, while making minimal changes to the game and even less time promoting the gameplay. Just advertise the challenge.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #98
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

whats funny to me is that every year with various sports franchises, people say if they just upgrade the game play and not worry about new features i will be happy. that may be true for a few guys but to the reviewers and overall public that has never worked.

one of the best examples of this was 2ks versions of 2k3 baseball and the follow up espn mlb. or 2k4 though they never named it that.

2k4 was freaking awesome for its time. it was everything fixed from 2k3 which was a pretty good game by its own rights. however, mvp 2004 came out, (which was a very cleaned up version of the first MVP where catchers would not tag out anybody heading home among its many issues), and espn was pushed aside by the media and the public.

granted mvp was a pretty good game with a huge glitch where lefty's could not hit hrs, but espn was still better. yet, 2k had to revamp its entire game and put out 2k5. one of the glitchiest games of all time. it was super pretty for the old gen and had so many things right. i tried for a couple months to make it work, but eventually had to go with the 05 show and eventually mvp 2005. that game destroyed 2k and then they grabbed the exclusive. they have been chasing the show ever since.

(i loved the 05 show. it is the only baseball game i played every game. it too had a few issues, mostly fielding, but it was more strategic than any console game ever up to that point. very high heat for you older guys. some of its features have never changed to now)

i would hope that 2k12 gets all the improvements it needs. it has promise. i play both the show and 2k. both have things that make them unique and fun. but if 2k wants to really take off they cannot simple put out a bug free improvement. they are going to have to take a chance and invent a new gimmick to get the casual interested. otherwise, they will always lose money.

Last edited by Radja; 02-23-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #99
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm guessing it will be a bit more than a roster update, and there will probably be bug fixes too, but mst likely no new features, yet probably some new bugs. It seems that every time they try to fix something they break something else.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #100
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I can live with the wonky player models, and even the washed out colors (although they looked better in the trailers) but the squirly fielder animations in particular for some reason drive me insane. They did not appear to be much improved in the trailer. This factored in with 2k's lack of support for the game particularly on the PS3 platform makes it a wait and see purchse. Just can't justify this as a 60 dollar first day type purchase.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #101
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radja
whats funny to me is that every year with various sports franchises, people say if they just upgrade the game play and not worry about new features i will be happy. that may be true for a few guys but to the reviewers and overall public that has never worked.
I see this too. I bet you can read dozens of posts from 2K9-2K10, 2K10-2K11, 2K11-2K12, and 2K12-2K13 that say: "Just work out a couple of kinks and I'll be fine."

You know what else I also see a lot? People calling the next version of a game a "half-assed" attempt, so to speak. In other words, they'll call 2K10 "2K9.5," and 2K11 "2K10.5," and 2K12 "2K11.5," etc. But wait, wouldn't 2K12 technically be 2K10.5 if they were all half-assed attempts? At least be consistent.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #102
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

I just can't grasp how they can't seem to make the player models resemble, or even come CLOSE to the player models in NBA 2K...it's just mind bogging.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #103
True Ace

Galvatron's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
Maybe should worry more about the people who bought and enjoyed the game more than those that show up in the 2K baseball forum annually to heap scorn on a game they have no intention of buying.
Did you even consider the fact that I'm one of those that bought and enjoyed it? I've bought every game in this series this generation, but all you saw in my post was "Show supporter" apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
You are the one missing the point. 2K essentially admitted they failed to provide gamers the baseball game they wanted, and killed the series. MLB came back and asked them to release one more game in order to have an MLB game on the shelf for the 360.

This is not a release to build good will with gamers. I'd say the odds of a next gen 2K baseball game is beyond slim.

So if the gripe is that the game should not exist, because apparently it is evil for 2K to even release this game, why aren't gamers ignoring it? 2K didn't plan to release the game. If they got their way, we would all be playing 2K12 and living with the fact that, at least on the console, the schedules and alignment would never be right.

I look at it as a lucky bone. From the moment it was announced I admitted it would be a bad value for most gamers. It's such a bad value that I expect it to be selling for $20-$30 with six weeks or so.

But I can't get mad at 2K for refusing to market this game aggressively. If the price offended me, I can do exactly what I would have done if they didn't release it.

There is absolutely nothing to be mad at 2K about. They lost. They fully admit that most sports gamers don't want their game. They don't want to sell it anymore, either. They have marketed it as such.

Hell, you might as well get mad at EA and Konami for not releasing games this year, too. Get mad at SCEA for not releasing The Show for the 360. Get mad at Microsoft for not rebooting High Heat.

But no, the real rage is reserved for the company actually releasing a game that you don't have to buy.
Yeah so you're essentially saying a company that admits that it's game failed to satisfy it's core fanbase and publicly throws in the towel is gonna turn around and release another title with virtually no marketing besides the $$$ challenge, update the roster and slap a $60 price tag on it....and you don't expect to hear complaints? This isn't some no-name indie company, these are the guys that publish GTA, Bioshock, NBA 2K...

And of course people don't have to buy, and if they have no problem paying full retail then great for them, I would never argue that. But to charge a full premium for something that you said yourself is a "lucky bone" for it's supporters, is basically overcharging for something they know isn't a satisfying product for it's price. Not good business IMO, at least for the consumer.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #104
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
Did you even consider the fact that I'm one of those that bought and enjoyed it? I've bought every game in this series this generation, but all you saw in my post was "Show supporter" apparently.

Yeah so you're essentially saying a company that admits that it's game failed to satisfy it's core fanbase and publicly throws in the towel is gonna turn around and release another title with virtually no marketing besides the $$$ challenge, update the roster and slap a $60 price tag on it....and you don't expect to hear complaints? This isn't some no-name indie company, these are the guys that publish GTA, Bioshock, NBA 2K...

And of course people don't have to buy, and if they have no problem paying full retail then great for them, I would never argue that. But to charge a full premium for something that you said yourself is a "lucky bone" for it's supporters, is basically overcharging for something they know isn't a satisfying product for it's price. Not good business IMO, at least for the consumer.
Agreed. Very well stated.

Gotta love the blind brand loyalty some of our posters have. The lengths they go to defend something is ridiculous. He's one of them.

2k fans also have this weird inferiority complex when it comes to the Show. Not sure why they are so defensive about a company that doesn't care about them in the slightest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »