Home

**The Official New York Yankees Thread**

This is a discussion on **The Official New York Yankees Thread** within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #521
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: **The Official New York Yankees Thread**

I am fine with the decision, 10 years was a good run time to change it up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #522
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
From Jack Curry:

Cash gonna be pulling puppet strings from the box.
Yep. This is the front office wanting to call the shots and not have a manager hit someone 8th that should be batting leadoff or a guy sitting that should be playing.

There is an influx of young guys coming and Cashman brought them here. He wants to make sure they are used exactly as he sees fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #523
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I am fine with the decision, 10 years was a good run time to change it up.
Why is it time though?

I can't find a single team under Girardi that underachieved and most overachieved. The last few years prior to this one we had an old, overpaid roster and he kept us competitive. This year we had a young team that people thought at best could sneak into the playoffs if everything went right and we made it convincingly and were a game from the world series.

I'm in the camp that who the manager is doesn't make that huge a deal so I'm not freaking out about this, but I can't even see an argument to be made that he should be let go.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #524
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Why is it time though?

I can't find a single team under Girardi that underachieved and most overachieved. The last few years prior to this one we had an old, overpaid roster and he kept us competitive. This year we had a young team that people thought at best could sneak into the playoffs if everything went right and we made it convincingly and were a game from the world series.

I'm in the camp that who the manager is doesn't make that huge a deal so I'm not freaking out about this, but I can't even see an argument to be made that he should be let go.
4 million reasons probably.

"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 10-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #525
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Cashman is clearly running things now lol.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #526
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

The media is pouring a lot of effort into figuring out who the next manager is going to be as if it's someone with experience or something.

It's going to be an unknown.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #527
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
Cashman is clearly running things now lol.

Yup. I've got no problems with it. If he's got the reins, and Levine and Hal stay out of the way, I feel very comfortable with our future going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Why is it time though?

Teix was on the Michael Kay Show (which I didn't hear, but heard about) and then later on Baseball Tonight/Sportscenter (one or the other, which I did actually see) and he was saying he thinks Girardi can be really tense, and it can rub some of the guys the wrong way. I'm sure the front office also didn't like him going with the binder vs. their data at certain times, like CMH said. At this point, I think Cash thinks the game is so by the numbers that he can get a manager who just has great control over the clubhouse and can learn analytics/has an analytics background. This leads us to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
4 million reasons probably.

I think this is at least 25% of the reason. I was looking for a list of manager salaries, the one I found had maybe 10 guys on it. Girardi was 4th with his salary. I went to look up Dave Roberts for the Dodgers, because I thought that would be a good example of how they might play this, and I couldn't find contract numbers, but I found this in an article that came out at the time:

Quote:
Hernandez, Plaschke and Shaikin also suggested “like Mattingly, the new manager can count on guidance from front-office executives on everything from the team's lineup to bullpen decisions.
I expect this is what we'll see going forward. I'd put my money on Rob Thomson or the AAA manager being brought in at $2 mil a year, but Cash is a ninja so he could surprise us.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 10-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #528
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Sounds from everything I've read as if Cashman has gotten a little full of himself/big for his britches.
He knows what he's doing. And he's the man to lead things from here. Hal and Levine don't have a tenth of the baseball knowledge Cashman has.

Hal just bears his father's last name. He doesn't have the love and passion George had for the game. He just inherited the Yankees.

Cashman should absolutely take the reins. Because in my eyes this is his team now. He put this together. You can pay attention to the fancy name titles. But this is Cashmans team now.

Have a good feeling he and Joe clashed on many things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Yup. I've got no problems with it. If he's got the reins, and Levine and Hal stay out of the way, I feel very comfortable with our future going forward.

Teix was on the Michael Kay Show (which I didn't hear, but heard about) and then later on Baseball Tonight/Sportscenter (one or the other, which I did actually see) and he was saying he thinks Girardi can be really tense, and it can rub some of the guys the wrong way. I'm sure the front office also didn't like him going with the binder vs. their data at certain times, like CMH said. At this point, I think Cash thinks the game is so by the numbers that he can get a manager who just has great control over the clubhouse and can learn analytics/has an analytics background. This leads us to...

I think this is at least 25% of the reason. I was looking for a list of manager salaries, the one I found had maybe 10 guys on it. Girardi was 4th with his salary. I went to look up Dave Roberts for the Dodgers, because I thought that would be a good example of how they might play this, and I couldn't find contract numbers, but I found this in an article that came out at the time:

I expect this is what we'll see going forward. I'd put my money on Rob Thomson or the AAA manager being brought in at $2 mil a year, but Cash is a ninja so he could surprise us.
Same. I think Joe was a good guy, but had a pretty dull personality. And I myself questioned how he'd handle the youth infusion. The whole Gary Sanchez nonsense kind of told me everything I needed to know about Joe. It was probably time to head in a different direction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »