Home

MLB '10: The Show - Joe Mauer Interview (Gameinformer)

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show - Joe Mauer Interview (Gameinformer) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: MLB '10: The Show - Joe Mauer Interview (Gameinformer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
YOUR MIND!...you're...out of it!
(I was wondering if someone would bring up the "pitching" crock! )
Forget RP'ers.....look up the 100 best ERA of all time..and if you're a WHIP fan....the top 100 WHIP of all time(you'll probably only recognize 4 names...Rivera,Hoffman, Santana and Pedro.(okay..you'll recognize Seaver)

Enigma...you're right...I thought you said.."he could be argued as THE best ever"...not what you did say.

M.K.
Knight165
I still disagree, pitchers were not as good as they are today. You put Santana or Tim L. back in those times and they would be so much better than any pitcher out there. Same with a hitter, you put AP out there and he would be the best hitter in the game. It is just how it is. You can take that with most sports today. Because players are stronger and faster. Now I am not talking about comparing the 70's player too a 90's player. That is not that big of a span. I am talking about a player in the 1900's compared to a player in the 2000's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #42
Banned

But I will say this. For his time there was no one better than Cobbs, but if Ich could go back in time. I guarantee you he would blow that guy out of the water.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #43
Rookie

indigence's Arena

OVR: 10

The argument always made when comparing the golden age to contemporary players is how good would Ty Cobbs be today if he had the same access to trainers and modern equipment. Would he be just as effective as he was back then? Who knows.

Saying if you transplant Mickey Mantle to today he wouldn't make a major league roster is similar to saying if you transplanted Ernest Hemmingway to today he would suck as an author and wouldn't be able to get anything published.

This doesn't mean that either of these individuals suck at their profession, all it means is that their professions has evolved just as we would expect. To say a player in one era is "better" than the other is very relative and impossible to answer.
“A man may be an heretic in the truth, and if he believes things only because his pastor says so, or the assembly so determines, without knowing other reason, though his belief be true, yet the very truth he holds becomes his heresy.”
John Milton
Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 AM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigence
The argument always made when comparing the golden age to contemporary players is how good would Ty Cobbs be today if he had the same access to trainers and modern equipment. Would he be just as effective as he was back then? Who knows.

Saying if you transplant Mickey Mantle to today he wouldn't make a major league roster is similar to saying if you transplanted Ernest Hemmingway to today he would suck as an author and wouldn't be able to get anything published.

This doesn't mean that either of these individuals suck at their profession, all it means is that their professions has evolved just as we would expect. To say a player in one era is "better" than the other is very relative and impossible to answer.
But I am talking about the 1910 player with a 2010 player. If Cobb did have all that resources he probably would be even a greater player than he was.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:

Two words.

Time Machine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 AM   #46
Banned

Quote:

All kidding aside I do agree with. But I am talking about taking Ich and putting him back there as is. But it still doesn't change the fact for his time span Cobb was the best ever.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #47
Rookie

cnh2os84's Arena

OVR: 4

Joe Mauer's name hasn't come up for like 30 posts, this is a thread about his interview right?!?!??!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 12

So hard to compare players from different eras. Too many variables at play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »