Home

MLB 11 The Show "Franchise/Season" Progress Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show "Franchise/Season" Progress Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #689
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: MLB 11 The Show "Franchise/Season" Progress Thread

Anyone else out there currently running a Pirates Franchise? Let me know how your doing if you are..
Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #690
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

I have just completed the regular season of my Cubs franchise.
I compiled a 95-67 record to win the NL Central.

Some notable facts

Pena .254AVG 42HR 110RBI
Garza 14-7 3.34ERA
Zambrano 15-8 3.56ERA

The main reason I had a good season was I had very few injuries. I had Fukudome go on the DL for a month and I had Dempster for a month and that was it.

I was 9th in AVG
4th in HR's

NLDS Cubs Vs DiamondBacks.
NLDS Phillies VS Cardianls
ALDS Yankees VS A's
ALDS Red Sox VS White Sox

I played 1 game a series during the season and played all 3 in the white sox series. So I played right around 65 games.

Wish me Luck!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #691
Banned

OVR: 0

Just started up a franchise with the Pirates post-patch. Using SCEA's latest roster (OSFM is good, but people overrate their own team's players and I don't feel like editing them all), and using All-Star hitting and Veteran pitching.

Simmed most of Spring Training, and Evan Meek was killing it (he was like 6-0 with a .069 ERA and .79 WHIP [I was using him as a starter]), so I traded him while his value was high. The Marlins put Nolasco on the trading block and were seeking RPs, so I traded Meek, Kevin Correia, and one of my good pitching prospects for Nolasco and a pretty good RP.

I always sim the first season (so I can draft a player and play with him), so about 3 days into the regular season, I traded Jose Tabata for Brett Gardner and Eduardo Nunez. They get a good young 22 year old LF with great speed and maxed-out potential, and I get a new starting SS (he will be for me, but wasn't for them, for obvious reasons), and a speed demon, high BA-hitting LF in Gardner. Tabata's stock was obviously higher because of his age.

Then, about 3 days before the trade deadline, I got offered a trade and I landed Jake Arrieta. I forgot who I gave (it MIGHT have been Jose Veras a some other guy, but I don't remember).

So I made a few trades t get a speed demon and get a few good SPs that I greatly needed.

Then, at the draft, I landed a huge gem. From prior experience, I know that the per 9 attributes progress the fastest, and velocity, control, and break barely ever progress. So I found this 18-year-old SP with almost maxed-out potential (like 95 or something...wish he could be m,axed-out), and VERY solid break and velocity. He has a FB that averages 98, and can hit 100 very rarely, and he has the best slider in the game (76 speed, 81 control, 92 break). Sound familiar? He's basically a short Randy Johnson clone with those 2 dominant pitches. His 2 seamer also hits 97-98, and his curveball isn't very good. But his two dominant pitches is all I need.

Well, season end hit, and obviously as the Pirates, I didn't make the playoffs...BUT, I definitely saw improvement after all the trades. Landed Nick Johnson in FA and he's now my starting 1B, and I also this solid RP, and Zach Duke, who is now my #3 guy.

So overall, I still have a bunch of work to do, but I got two good SPs to build around in Arritea and my Randy Johnson-like rookie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #692
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Ended up beating the Astros in that saved 4-4 game in the bottom 11th with Jonny Gomes (4-5, HR, 2 2B... raised his average to .250!) walkoff double, scoring the speedy Drew Stubbs from 1st.

Then promptly took a 6-3 L in Game 2 of the series. Freakin' 2 throwing errors in 1 play scored the go-ahead run, they tacked on a few more and I struck out/thrown out for the final 2 outs. Also, bases loaded, none out bottom 8th and NOTHING. Yuck! 18-12.

I caught Michael Bourn napping though! That was exciting. And they faked a throw to 3rd then looked to 1st. I had actually told my runner on 1st to steal but he retreated. Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #693
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Hey, I just wanted to give the A's users a heads up... I'm not sure why but, for some reason Oakland doesn't have a pick until Round 2 (I think pick 16) of the draft. I checked the order IRL and they should pick 18th so, I'm not sure if this is a mistake or if there's a logical reason for it, that I just don't know about because I admit that I don't follow baseball too closely anymore.

Either way, like I said, I just wanted to give you guys the heads up so you don't make the same mistake that I did which was scouting to many of the top prospects. Which ended up being wasted trips since I didn't get pick to the 76th overall selection.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #694
MVP

VanillaEps's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitoon
This is getting ridiculous...in addition to the above mentioned injuries, today I got this:

He was 6-0 going into this game. To add insult to injury he ended up with the loss after pitching just 1.1 innings. (Oddly, he was not struck in the head in the game).

I may be restarting...
Can't you turn Injuries to Manual and remove the injury? Why do you need to restart?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #695
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

Finished the off-season with the cubs
Marlon Byrd Retired
Signed Fiedler for a 6YR 105.3M Deal
Signed Punto to a 1YR 1.2M
Signed Everteh Cabreea to a 1YR deak for 500K
Signed Drybak to 1YR 700K
Signed Zumaya 2 YR 4.4M

Loss Kerry Wood and let Pena walk. Also let Dewiit and Baker walk as well as Fukudome.
With the loss of Wood I traded for Moylan from the Braves.
Also I was in need of a 4th OF with the loss of Fukudome I tried to sign Mike Cameron but he signed with another team so I traded for Tony Gwynn JR

Lineup
1. SS Castro
2. CF Jackson (Top Prospect, Didnt expect Bryd to retire)
3. 1B Fielder
4. 3B Ramirez
5. RF Colvin
6. LF Soriano
7. C Soto
8. 2B Barney
9. Pitcher

Bench
CF Gwynn JR
UTIL Punto
C Ariles (Prospect)
IF Everth Cabrrea

Rotation
1. Garza
2. Zambrano
3. Dempster
4. Wells
5. Arrieta

Bullpen
CP Marmol
SU Moylan
SU Zumaya
MRP Marshall
MRP Drybak
MRP Samargizia
MRP Cashner
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #696
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Hey, I just wanted to give the A's users a heads up... I'm not sure why but, for some reason Oakland doesn't have a pick until Round 2 (I think pick 16) of the draft. I checked the order IRL and they should pick 18th so, I'm not sure if this is a mistake or if there's a logical reason for it, that I just don't know about because I admit that I don't follow baseball too closely anymore.

Either way, like I said, I just wanted to give you guys the heads up so you don't make the same mistake that I did which was scouting to many of the top prospects. Which ended up being wasted trips since I didn't get pick to the 76th overall selection.
Did you check to see who got the 18th pick on the game? Or 16th? My best guess is that the game decided that either Fuentes or Balfour were type A free agents and gave the A's pick to either the Rays or the Twins. Sorry you didn't get any early picks. Usually the best draft picks come out of the first draft, and then it tends to get more watered down in later years, at least in my experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »