Home

MLB 12 Franchise Scouting

This is a discussion on MLB 12 Franchise Scouting within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Rookie

joshize's Arena

OVR: 2
MLB 12 Franchise Scouting

Of all the franchises I've played in MLB The Show, I'm not sure I've drafted more than a single A potential player in the June Amateur Draft. Is scouting and drafting easier on this year's game? It seems impossible and pointless in the past 2 years. (I plainly don't remember what it was like on PS2. lol)

I would enjoy the draft a lot more if it were a little easier to know what you were getting. I realize that some 1st rounders never make it... but I also realize that their "potential" of making it is higher than that of a 4th rounder. Or else they wouldn't have been projected as a first rounder. So I guess I don't really understand potentials. lol.

But either way, I've always had to trade for A potential players. Just wondering if this year will make any sense or be completely a chance deal again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 12 Franchise Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshize
Of all the franchises I've played in MLB The Show, I'm not sure I've drafted more than a single A potential player in the June Amateur Draft. Is scouting and drafting easier on this year's game? It seems impossible and pointless in the past 2 years. (I plainly don't remember what it was like on PS2. lol)

I would enjoy the draft a lot more if it were a little easier to know what you were getting. I realize that some 1st rounders never make it... but I also realize that their "potential" of making it is higher than that of a 4th rounder. Or else they wouldn't have been projected as a first rounder. So I guess I don't really understand potentials. lol.

But either way, I've always had to trade for A potential players. Just wondering if this year will make any sense or be completely a chance deal again.
I agree. Seems pointless. Its almost an afterthought in my franchises. I hope its better this year.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

I dont have the same experience. Ive been sim a lot franchise seasons lately and concentrating just on scouting, drafting and training and have no issues finding, signing or developing prospects. even when I was just simming and stopping to draft for fun I always found a A potential player in the first or second round or both. I do however still hope there are or will be changes in this area.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Rookie

joshize's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
I dont have the same experience. Ive been sim a lot franchise seasons lately and concentrating just on scouting, drafting and training and have no issues finding, signing or developing prospects. even when I was just simming and stopping to draft for fun I always found a A potential player in the first or second round or both. I do however still hope there are or will be changes in this area.
Are there certain things you look for? Can you give any insight to this? Or is it something you've just learned over time?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Hopefully someone with some insight will chime in, because this is a good topic. I know that I barely touch scouting when I'm in Franchise Mode.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

the scouts will scout based on your need and depth. I think it goes by potential, current skill level and overall skill and age at the position. I have tried scouting and tried auto. It also depends on your level of scout, and their strengths. I tend to never waste scouting on RP since you can convert a top closer or starter prospect into RP in edit (I dont see that as cheating as its done in real baseball)

Ive also noticed that the higher overall and the younger they are (those things together) tend to be better prospects. Example..the top guys in the draft are the higest overall, but usually older but lower in potential..not a stedfast rule but generally..meaning you give up "upside" for better developed skill. So look for that younger player with skills or just look for younger players with decent fielding an durability. I didnt think I was doing anything different but never had a problem finding A and B prospects.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

We asked for some changes in the player pool at cd. The A potential players were low rated and would be drafted in lower rounds. We asked if they could bump their ovl up. They lowered them last year to keep the 2012 issue in check.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

I spent quite a bit of time on both Scouting and the Amateur Draft. It's not pointless, but you do need to spend a fair amount of time on it to make it pay off.

1. Hire the best scouts you can-the ones who can scout 4 players at a time. Have them scout a player until potential is revealed. Keep in mind the players with good potential will fairly often start with low ratings. Also keep an eye out for players who start with good power or velocity, they're very rare when scouting. Most of them have D or F potential though.

2. Normally, check how the scouting is coming along every 3-4 days. A good scout can unlock one attribute during that period.

3. All the other teams in Amateur Draft will scout exclusively by overall-systematically going from the best player to the worst until all players are gone.

4. There are more pitchers than position players, so i always scout the position players first.

5. Scout will leave or retire each year, so keep an eye if that happens to any of your scouts.

6. 16 and 17 year olds never appear in that year's draft, so make sure your scouts are not scouting them before the draft. I always have my scouts focus on the 17 YO after the amateur draft, they may appear in next year's draft.

Last edited by Mike3207; 02-23-2012 at 12:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »