Home

The Game's Community Ratings Calculator

This is a discussion on The Game's Community Ratings Calculator within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The Game's Community Ratings Calculator

Game, forgive me for not thinking LOL, you are working with a calculator and scale back or whatever changes I think is on me.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #58
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

Use both majors and minors stats combined. That's what I do with all of my players, including players that had a couple rehab games or whatever. Majors plus minors with MLE. Whatever's the total is what goes into attributes.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #59
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

Guys you don't need 2000 PA or whatever. You just use, say, 150 PA of what has actually happened, and add in 1850 PA of a comparable average as regression.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:52 AM   #60
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFFiTh
Use both majors and minors stats combined. That's what I do with all of my players, including players that had a couple rehab games or whatever. Majors plus minors with MLE. Whatever's the total is what goes into attributes.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

There's one problem with that. What my calculator does is scale back minor league stats based on their current level. Some of my ratings do combine minor league stats with major leagues, such as steals, base running ability, and strikeouts. But other stats like contact, plate discipline, vision, walks (pitcher), and a few others can be WAY different between minor leagues and major leagues. These are stats where a guy might excel in the minors but do nothing even close in the majors.

If a guy has power in the minors, he usually can have power in the majors. If a guy strikes a lot of guys out with power pitches, he usually can strike out a lot of guys in the majors. But that doesn't mean he's going to hit a lot in the majors (contact) or keep from getting hit in the majors. That's just my take from years of being a baseball stats dork.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:53 AM   #61
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

As for the update with some fixes, it'll be out tomorrow. Grandparents ended up being able to keep the kid, so it was a party night with the wife. I'll let you know when it's posted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2016, 03:00 AM   #62
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Guys you don't need 2000 PA or whatever. You just use, say, 150 PA of what has actually happened, and add in 1850 PA of a comparable average as regression.

You'll have to explain what you mean by comparable average as regression.

The calc already used average for contact ratings and ISO for power ratings. Simply extrapolating that out to 2000 PA doesn't change the AVG or ISO. The only debate over number of PAs or ABs is over when to ignore major league stats and focus in on scaled back minor league stats. Too many guys have a couple weeks of killer major league production with average to maybe slightly above average minor league production that never become anything in the majors. It happens basically every year. So what I'm trying to do is ignore the low AB/PA seasons and focus in on the maximum amount of data each season.

If you'd rather focus just on major league production, that's what the career rating is for. This shows what a guy has done over his whole career with a fairly small number of ABs or PAs as a criteria. My latest update is using 200 ABs per side (r and l) for career and 100 ABs per side for each season. For the additional tests I did today, this seemed to produce a bit better results for guys with low numbers of ABs in the majors.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback!!!
Old 05-14-2016, 04:59 AM   #63
Rookie

Spider Tre's Arena

OVR: 5

I downloaded the calculator but everytime I try to open it, it says it's password protected or encrypted and doesn't open. Not sure if that has to do with it opening in Works rather than Excel (I don't think my computer has Excel). I'd love to get it working as I'm making a few former Reds of my own and this would provide a good base for ratings.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #64
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame8544
You'll have to explain what you mean by comparable average as regression.
If he's hit .360 vs LHP in 200 AB and players relatively similar to him have hit .280 vs LHP then you'd add 1800 AB of .280 avg to his .360 in 200 AB

You could also just do the average platoon difference relative to wRC+ or whatever

Sorry if that makes no sense I just hopped out of bed lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »