Home

Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic

This is a discussion on Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic, I think

I'm a big fan of most of the slider guys. Been following them for years.

I played about 7 games ( not having completed every one) before I started tinkering and plugging in sliders from a few guys. I figured I had to since I've always done it.

But, yesterday, I got sick of tinkering and decided to go back to default everything, All Star for pitching and Hitting.

I've played just 5 full games (no quick counts) and have had the best games I've ever had playing The Show. Everything seemed right and I saw all the things we like to see, like: a difference in average verse elite fielders, balls getting over outfielders heads, dominant pitchers owning me and average pitchers giving me a fighting chance.

It may just be placebo. Heck, this feeling may not last 20 or 30 games in. At this point, I'm exhausted for all the combinations I've tried. But, for now, I feel great with the experience.

Will anyone else try this to see if I'm alone in this assessment?

Last edited by slthree; 04-09-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #2
Rookie

Suvorov's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic

It's not a placebo. I have great games using default All Star settings. I think these slider guys are chasing Bigfoot. After about 10 play now games, using default All Star settings, I have had games where I blew out the other team and games where I was blown out. I had good games hitting and bad games hitting. I had good games pitching and bad games pitching. I have walked and given up walks. I have seen several errors in one game and no errors in a game.

I used to be one of those guys that chased sliders as well, trying to find the perfect sliders, but it's an impossibility. People tend to change sliders, play one or two games, and decide something else needs changing. But the fact is, you would need to play 20+ games with a slider set, to compare stats, and to be honest, even that wouldn't be enough to give true randomness of possible outcomes in a game.

You would need to play hundreds, if not thousands of games, to get a true variance and be able to determine if a slider setting is truly correct or not.

The other thing about sliders, is that everyone plays differently. I may not hit as well as player A, but hit better than Play C. Therefore, a slider set that works for me, may not work for either of the other players. Not worth all the hassle.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
Rookie

wizfan2's Arena

OVR: 3

I am with you, with only limited playing time(the whole work, family & mortgage deal)only played 6 games using a variety of different teams, I too am getting varying results. Started a test Season just to get a feel for the game using different teams but I have decided I am just gonna pick my Nats & 1 AL team and just roll with it. I have only adjusted down 1 click on baserunner speed(an inside the park by Yasmany Tomas at Chase) & cpu pitch strke frequency. I have just come to the conclusion that I don't have the time to become OCD with the game, so far as rosters & sliders. I just enjoy the gameplay sooooo much.

"A wise man never knows all, only a fool knows everything"

"If you were making a list of people you trusted, would you put your name down"
-NF "Only"

Last edited by wizfan2; 04-10-2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors
Old 04-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic, I think

So, to recap, slider guys would need to play thousands of games with a set to know if they're good but you guys are on board with default after 6, 7 and 10 games?

Makes sense.

I do agree 100% that sliders have to be tailored by the individual user. Some sliders like Injuries, Stamina, Manager Hook, Pickoffs, Steal Frequency, Wind and Trade Frequency (and maybe a few others) should be good for everyone. Aside from those, the results will vary which is why I do my own with every game I play (I'll use other's sets as a guide on occasion).

Hopefully you guys can get the enjoyment you want out of default.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Pretty sure I'm going default all star myself for my franchise when the opening day rosters hit. I get tired of the slideritus. So many sets, so many great insights from those slider creators. It starts to drive me nuts and i end up combining things i like from sets etc. So default it is this year for me (maybe lol).
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

This game is so easy to lock in your own custom settings.....I am talking eaaaaaasy. The is a testament to the developer team. This is the best tuned sports game out of the box bar none.

Most slider sets for The Show are specific to a certain play style, settings, cameras, approach etc.

Takes hundreds or thousands of games? No I don' think so.

Took me a week and half and 30 test games to lock in my settings. Just a little effort to give me 1000's of hours of baseball gaming pleasure.

I am off and running.

Default All-Star is great.....nothing wrong with it at all. But some of us like certain things and a few knob turns get us there. Lumping in all slider makers is not a fair assessment. I can only speak for myself.....I just share my settings that appeal to a certain style of sports gamer. There is no magic bullet. And we are simply sharing and trying to help people enjoy the game more.

Simple as that. Take them of leave them as a base for you to build your own tweaks.

But Chasing Bigfoot? Come on man. And for the record....it's not rocket science. I think anyone is capable of making custom tweaks to their own game whenever they want. If you have played sports games long enough....you know exactly what your looking for.

It default floats your boat....AWESOME.

The best way though to choose a base set is know your skill level, settings you like to pitch and hit with and find a slider thread that fits that as close as possible. Once you start jumping thread to thread...it's a black hole.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan
I do agree 100% that sliders have to be tailored by the individual user. Some sliders like Injuries, Stamina, Manager Hook, Pickoffs, Steal Frequency, Wind and Trade Frequency (and maybe a few others) should be good for everyone.
Those are individual as well.

There is no "good for everyone" setting on any slider.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Those are individual as well.

There is no "good for everyone" setting on any slider.
I said "should".

Stamina, injuries, etc. "should" be universal as long as your goal is to mirror real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »