Home

MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #617
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread

I extended my win streak to 4 games with a win over the lowly Brewers. Carlos Martinez straight dealt for 7 innings before being pulled in the 8th. (W) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 14 K's 3 W

I played my first game with Brandon Moss in the outfield as he gave Matt Holliday a day off. While he didn't do anything at the plate 0 for 3 with 2 k's, he did play well in the outfield with 3 put outs. Having him be serviceable in the outfield makes it easier on my roster management as I'll probably now keep him for the remainder of the season and see what to do in the offseason. It also gives me a big bat to use off the bench in pinch hit situations.

I'm still torn on Kolten Wong, as I hate having an 80ish rated player sitting on the pine all the time, but Brock Holt is hitting .290 and playing great in the field. Still debating whether to keep Wong and sort out in offseason or to trade him.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #618
All Star

OVR: 20

Somehow I got stuck playing a Yankees franchise and am now 26-26 after May. My stats were off as I was learning the game and getting better but I have settled on All Star Default, timing/classic pitching and getting great results. Someone I walked 10 times in a recent game.

Eovaldi went down in late April for 1-2 months and Brett Gardner recently went down for 1-2 months. Tanaka and Severino have been solid but the rest of the rotation has been inconsistent with Nova and CC fighting it out for fifth starter and a rookie getting slotted in the 4 spot. The bullpen has been amazing with Betances at a 0.36 era, Chapman at 1.08 and Miller at 2.84 (lowered a lot since initial struggles).

Hitting wise, ARod has been the best hitter with 18 homers and overall the team is third in homers but also way too homer dependent. Since I inserted Greg Bird in the lineup, the team has played much better and he has an ops over .950 in limited action. Nolan Arenado is sitting on the block unhappy (and playing horribly) and I have considered trading Bird, Miller and another prospect for him but I am unsure whether I want to break up the bullpen even though the real Yankees would make the trade in a heartbeat.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #619
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Played my way through ST with the Tigers and only lost six games while giving the bottom end of the 40 man roster a lot of burn. Worst part was I lost J.D. Martinez for 60 days with a broken leg in the third to last game. Other than that I had a lot of fun just taking it easy and playing most of the ST games.

The season opening series was an unfortunate inter-league two-gamer vs Miami in Miami, and that meant Victor Martinez's bat stayed on the bench.

Zimmerman was fighting it but held Miami at bay only to watch the bullpen have a seventh inning meltdown in game one and we lost 7-4.

Game two Verlander did work and Miggy drove in the three runs in 3-1 first win of 2016.

Game three, and the home opener versus the Yankees, was a dumpster fire. Sanchez lasted 1.2 innings and gave up 8 runs.We lost 17-7 and the hits were 19-17.

Interesting start to say the least.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #620
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

ALDS Game 3 - 2016

Box Score
Spoiler

Win or go home time now. Doug Fister shuts us down in game 3 as he throws a complete game giving up 4 hits. We got run 1 thanks to a homer by Gordon. But just couldn't get hits when we had guys in a position to score. Astros meanwhile seemed to get a hit every time they had guys on base. Gattis got it started in the 2nd with a 2 run shot to dead center. And that was it. They added 3 more runs they didnt need to secure the 5-1 win. 1 more game in KC. Edinson Volquez vs Colin McHugh. Really thought about starting Ventura here. May use him out of the pen if necessary.

Blue Jays beat the Indians 5-1. Advance to the ALCS with a 3-0 sweep.

Mets beat the Cubs 1-0. Tie the series up at 2-2 after being down 0-2.

Giants best the Cardinals 4-3. They were also down 0-2 in the series and have come back to tie it up.

Last edited by HozAndMoose; 05-27-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #621
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

OVR: 0

ALCS Game 1: Toronto @ Houston
The Houston Astros take game 1 of the series in a thriller that came down to the last AB! The first 2 innings were very quiet and it was looking like a pitchers duel although the Jays were able to get a few hits in the first inning. Though Carlos Correa nearly started the game with a bang just missing a no doubt home run by a matter of inches.

The Blue Jays got a rally going in the top of the 3rd and were able to score the first run of the game taking a 1-0 lead. Keuchel was able to tightrope his way out of trouble with runners on 1st and 3rd he was able to get 2 strike outs to close out the inning. The Astros went down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 3rd.

In the bottom of the 4th the Astros picked up 4 hits and 3 walks(1 HBP) and were able to bring home 3 runs as they nearly batted around. Gaining a 3-1 lead but they were unable to get production from the bottom of the line up to keep the rally going.

The 5th inning was quiet but in the 6th the Jays rallied back refusing to back down. Pat Neshek started out the 6th inning as Keuchel threw 88 pitches through 5 innings.

Neshek just did not play the same he did all of the regular season allowing multiple hits to start off the inning, a triple by Chris Colabello would drive home 1 run making it a 3-2 game. The next pitch Neshek through a wild pitch and did not cover home plate so the Jays got a free run here to tie the game up.

Neshek promptly got out of the inning with 2 strike outs but the damage had been done. He would end up going 2.2 innings. Then came in Tony Sipp to take advantage of matchups. Sipp came in and was dominant. In 1.1 innings of work he racked up 2 strike outs. He allowed a hit but was able to close out the 8th and 9th inning keeping it scoreless to give the Astros a chance to walk off winners.

The bottom of the ninth starts with Colby Rasmus first pitch swinging with a fly out. Marwin Gonzalez, easily the MVP for the Astros in the post season thus far grounds into Bo Schultz and gets on base, Jake Marisnick who has been the Astros go to pinch runner all season comes in.

Castro now up to bat he completely whiffs on a ball right down the middle but the next pitch he hits a ground ball in to the outfield and gets on base but more importantly advances Marisnick to 2nd.

Now the rookie, A.J. Reed up to bat who arguably was snubbed for ROTY. Reed ends up flying out and the ball is not deep enough to advance Marisnick but this brings up Jose Altuve who has lead this Astros team all year.

Altuve had a rough game going 0-4 leading up to this point but he is cold blooded. Altuve comes out first pitch swinging hits a ground ball down the 3rd base line and drives home Marisnick with a walk off single. Game.

I simmed the next 2 games and we were able to take game 2 as well at home but lost game 3 in Toronto. I will be playing Game 4.

In the National League The Mets beat the Dodgers 4-1 to advance to the World Series.

(My Playoff system for games I play is:

Wild Card - Play All Games
ALDS - Play 1 Sim 1
ALCS - Play 1 Sim 2
WS - Play All)

Last edited by scooterperpetual; 05-27-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #622
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

2017 Phillies Franchise Mid-Year Update

We have battled to stay above .500 and have come into the All Star break sitting at 46-43. We are 15 games behind the Nationals, who have MLB's best record at 61-27. While winning the division not gonna happen, we are only 1 game behind the Giants and Cards for the Wild Card.

The theme of the year so far has been run support. We are in the top 5 in the league for home runs but in the lower half rankings in the league for .avg and rbi. Hopefully the bats will wake up a bit and come alive in the second half.
Pitching has been a pleasant surprise with the exception of Hellickson, who has struggled mightily. But his last 2 starts have been positive outings, so hopefully he will get straightened out sooner than later.

I have made one trade about a week before the All Star break. I traded Darnell Sweeney and James Russell to the Cubs for Melky Cabrera. I felt a veteran outfielder that could hit for average could help my young struggling outfield and add a little punch to the lineup. We will see as the year goes on.

Pitchers-Rotation
Nola- 8-6, 2.90 ERA
Hellickson-4-8, 4.98 ERA
Velasquez-6-6, 2.80 ERA
Eickhoff-8-5, 3.44 ERA
A. Morgan-4-4, 3.18 ERA

*Obviously my starter's records should be better by looking at their ERAs...the lack of run support has been really frustrating. Great performances on the year by Nola, Eickhoff, and Velasquez. A. Morgan has been my surprise. After struggling with Mark Appel at the start of the year, we sent Appel to AAA and moved Morgan from the bullpen and into the 5th starter role. I keep expecting him to fall off a bit, but he has quality starts every time out.

Pitchers-Bullpen
LR-Olberholtzer 2-0, 3.86 ERA
MR-J. Benoit 2-3, 2.39 ERA
MR-Medina 1-1, 3.16 ERA
MR-Neris 4-2, 3.32 ERA
SU-D. Hernandez 2-1, 1.00 ERA
SU-E. Araujo 0.00 ERA (just called up)
CL-D. Storen 0-1, 25 saves 1.29 ERA
My bullpen has been lights out for the most part. Benoit and Storen were offseason acquisitions that have paid off so far. Hernandez has been a great setup guy and if we have a lead going into the last 2 innings, he and Storen usually shut the door. Enjoy pitching with these guys and Neris and Medina are getting in a groove too.

Lineup
CF O. Herrera .257, 9 Hrs, 23 rbi, 7sb
2B D. Espinosa .211, 16 Hrs, 36 rbi
3B M. Franco .251, 14 Hrs, 32 Rbi
1B/OF D. Ruf .291, 19 Hrs, 42 Rbi
1B M. Moreland .214, 11 Hrs, 31 Rbi
C S. Vogt .230, 11 Hrs, 28 Rbi
LF Melky Cabrera .271, 4 Hrs, 34 Rbi
SS JP Crawford .198, 12 Hrs, 36 Rbi
RF N. Williams .231, 8 Hrs, 22 Rbi
Bench
C C. Rupp .243, 3 HR, 13 RBI
OF A. Altherr .263, 4 HR, 17 RBI
UTIL A. Blanco .240, 4 HR, 20 RBI

*My bats bring the power but are struggling to hit for average and get XBH. I started the year with Brandon Guyer and J. Marisnick as my corner outfielders. They brought good defense and speed on the bases but their bats went ice cold. I sent down Guyer in May and just sent Marisnick down for the second time this year. I hated to send him down bc he was our stolen base leader and was a rocket arm in RF, but his bat needs more seasoning in AAA. Hope for him to return in the second half if he improves.

* Nick Williams has been a bright spot since coming up to the club in May. Brings power and good defense in the OF.

* My best hitter on the year so far has been Darin Ruf. He batted right above .300 for most of the year but has cooled off a bit and fallen to .291. But his power has been on display as he is 4th in league in home runs. I expected him to make the All Star team and be a Home Run Derby participant, but he wasn't selected for either which is a bummer.

* A surprise selection to the NL All Star team was J.P. Crawford. He is a reserve behind C. Seager. I wasn't expecting him to be selected to team with that measly .198 avg. He and fellow teammate Drew Storen were the only Phillies to make the 2017 NL All Star squad.

I've had fun battling it out in the NL East so far. We have split our games with our division foe, the Washington Nationals. I expect them to take the division title but hopefully we can get a Wild Card spot and take them out in the playoffs. I need my bats to come alive and my pitching to stay consistent. I don't anticipate making any more moves before the deadline. I think I have a good team in place, I just need my leaders and young guns to step up and perform. Here's to a strong second half of 2017 for the Fightin Phils! Looking forward to the challenge.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #623
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

ALDS Game 4 - 2016

Box Score
Spoiler

1 mistake and our season is over. Not a lot of offense through the first 5 innings. Astros got a run tn the 6th the off of a Jason Castro solo homer. Top of the 7th Volquez gets the first guy out then lets the next 2 guys on. In comes Ventura to try and get out of it. With the infield in Singleton hits a grounder to 2nd and Colon throws home. Only problem is the guy on 3rd didnt move. So bases loaded now with one out. Ventura gets a fly ball to left that would have ended the inning. Gordon cant get the out at the plate and the Astros take a 2-0 lead. We acme back with 1 in the bottom half of the inning thanks to a Hosmer lead off double and a Morales ground out RBI to get him home. Thats all we could do though as Harris and Gregerson shut us down out of the pen and the Astro win the game and move on to face the Blue Jays in the ALCS.

National League Division Series

The Mets and Giants both throw shutouts in their game 5's to come all the way back from down 0-2 to win their series and advance to the NLCS.

American League Championship Series
  1. Blue Jays beat the Astros 3-1
  2. Blue Jays beat the Astros 9-6
  3. Blue Jays beat the Astros 8-4
  4. Astros beat the Blue Jays 10-4
  5. Blue Jays beat the Astors 8-3. Advance to 2016 World Series.
ALCS MVP - Edwin Encarnacion

National League Championship Series
  1. Giants beat the Mets 2-1.
  2. Mets beat the Giants 3-2.
  3. Mets beat the Giants 6-5.
  4. Giants beat the Mets 3-1.
  5. Mets beat the Giants 5-3.
  6. Giants beat the Mets 5-2.
  7. Giants beat the Mets 5-4. Advance to 2016 World Series vs the Blue Jays.
NLCS MVP - Matt Duffy

World Series
  1. Blue Jays beat the Giants 2-1.
  2. Giants beat the Blue Jays 4-3.
  3. Blue Jays beat the Giants 6-3.
  4. Blue Jays beat the Giants 7-1.
  5. Blue Jays beat the Giants 3-1. Win 2016 World Series.
World Series MVP - Edwin Encarnacion

Postseason Bracket.
Spoiler

End of Season - 2016

Disappointing end to the season. We knew going into the playoffs that the offense needed to be better. And it may have been a bit worse. 2017 may be the last good chance we have at another run for a few years. A lot of our guys entering free agency after that. For now the only guy we have to make decisions on are Luke Hochevar and Kendrys Morales. Everyone else is signed or under team control. Not a whole lot we need to address. We will look at some RF options as well as 2B. If we dont end up keeping Morales could look for a big bat to fill the DH spot.

Notable retirees
  • David Ortiz - HOF - 2451 H, 532 HR, 1727 RBI, .282 AVG
  • Koji Uejara
  • R.A. Dickey
  • Jason Grilli
  • A.J. Pierzynski
  • Joel Peralta
  • Ichiro Suzuki - HOF - 3019 H, 117 HR, 764 RBI, 508 SB, .313 AVG
  • Bronson Arroyo
  • Bartolo Colon
  • Justin Masterson - Injury
  • Fernando Rodney
Old 05-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #624
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

OVR: 0

ALCS Game 5: Houston @ Toronto
Let me start this with, there are ZERO dull moments in the post season. ZERO. This game was a lot of fun to play but also very stressful, it wasnt a win or go home game obviously with us leading 2-1 but this game sets the tone for the rest of the series. Colin McHugh got the start.

The game started with a bang for the Astros as we were able to jump out to a 2-0 lead. The Jays were quiet to start the game but in the 2nd inning were able to rally to bring home 1 run to make it a 2-1 ball game but that would be all they would get.

The Astors came back in the 3rd with Gattis getting a single and George Springer hitting a no doubt home run to left center to open the lead to 4-1. McHugh got through the 3rd inning with no problems but the 4th inning the Jays refused to give up.

They open up the inning with a solo shot by Jose Bautista. They followed this up with 2 singles. A sac fly would move Encarnacion to 3rd base with only 1 gone. A spectacular diving stop by Marwin Gonzalez allowed for us to have a chance to close out the inning we fired to 2nd for one out but the throw to first was late and they were able to strike for one more to make it a 4-3 game. The runner on first, Saunders would end up getting caught stealing to close the inning down.

Well here in Houston (Technically Toronto I guess) we like to have more than 1 run pad so Carlos Gomez hit a solo shot to center field to make it a 5-3 ball game.

Tony Sipp would come in during the 6th inning for matchup advantages but a rare throwing error by Marwin Gonzalez, who has been one of the most consistent pieces on this Astros ball club all year costed us a run making the game 5-4. One is all they would get after Sipp answers with back to back K's.

Bottom of the 8th Donaldson on base 1 out. A fielding error by Carlos Correa that was an absolute replica of the error in Game 4 of the ALDS a year ago allows Encarnacion to reach 1st and Donaldson to 3rd with 1 out. Next batter they go with the suicide squeeze and tie the ball game up. Keuchel who had come in to take advantage of matchups closed out the bottom of the 8th and we had a new ball game going into the 9th.

The Astros go down 1-2-3. Pat Neshek in to force extra innings and he comes in again not being the same pitcher from the regular season walking Colabello. However we saw a flash of the regular season Neshek who forced a double play and the next batter would ground out and we were headed to the 10th.

Gomez goes down on strikes, one down. Carlos Correa who has been struggling thus far in the playoffs gets a very important hit as I am sure he was hoping his error would not cost us this ball game. He ends up doubling to bring up Evan Gattis who has been great this post season.

Evan Gattis lines to left center and Correa comes on home as the go ahead run in the 10th. Springer grounded into a double play and in comes Ken Giles who has been great for the Astros to close this ball game down and take a 3-1 lead headed back to Houston.

Tulowitzki is the first man going against Giles and he grounds out. Dondalson now hit a laser towards third base and Marwin Gonzalez (See earlier) make a spectacular jumping play that very well may have ended the ball game to get out 2. Bautista strike out on the slider out of the zone. Game.

Astros have a 3-1 lead headed back to Houston and are in great shape to make their first return to the World Series since 2005.

EDIT: Game 5 is in Toronto, I dont know baseball playoff formatting too well my bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Houston Astros Win 4-1, Headed to World Series
Boy this game was a doozy. I simmed this game up to the bottom of the 9th and man it was nothing but offense. The Astors won it 15-9 in an amazing come from behind win.

So I will give a quick run down. Astros took a 2-0 lead in the 1st inning. The pushed lead to 4-0 in the 3rd. The Jays came back to make it a 4-1 game in the 4th. The Astros took a 7-1 lead going into the bottom of the 8th inning where the Jays made a historic comeback (Maybe?) tallying 8 runs to make it a 9-7 game going into the top of the 9th.

Well the Astros had some late game magic of their own as they match those 8 runs with 8 of their own to take a 15-9 lead and Josh Fields closed things down in the bottom of the 9th. A total of 35 hits between the two teams and 24 runs.

Astros Stats:
Home Runs: Altuve (1), Springer (3), Correa (2), Rasmus (2), Gomez (2)
RBIs: Altuve (3), Springer (3), Correa (2), Rasmus (4), Gomez (1), Gattis (1), Marisnick (1)

Blue Jays Stats:
Home Runs (RBI): Bautista (2)
RBIs: Donaldson (2), Bautista (2), Martin (1), Saunders (1), Colabello (1), Travis (2)

Clearly the Astros played long ball and the Blue Jays played small ball in this one. By far the most bizarre game I have ever seen in MLB The Show. Generally I am a stickler to realism to a certain point but since it is simmed I guess I will let it pass.

Here is some fun pitching stats

Blue Jays:
ER: Happ (4), Cecil (2), Chavez (1), Osuna (4), Loup (4)

Astros:
ER: Keuchel (5), Harris (4)

I have no idea why the game waited so long to pull Keuchel as he had just thrown 1 inning in relief the game before and pitch into the 7th in this one.

By the way Will Harris has 36.0 ERA in the playoffs so yea. On to the Mets in the world series.

Last edited by scooterperpetual; 05-28-2016 at 08:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »