Home

MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #601
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: MLB 16 Franchise Progress Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
SP William Connors 2nd start @ BOS

(ND) 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

A great diving play by Byron Buxton saved a run in the 6th. Ended up getting a no decision and we lost 2-1 in a walk off single 9th. Connors actually struck out the side in the 7th to my surprise. Great way to finish off his start. I just couldn't generate any offense for him.

Julio Urias is expected to play tomorrow for the Dodgers. Reading that made me think of your 19-year-old who's debuted in your franchise.

See? It happens
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #602
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Julio Urias is expected to play tomorrow for the Dodgers. Reading that made me think of your 19-year-old who's debuted in your franchise.

See? It happens
Haha yea I saw that too and it made me feel better. I know most of us on OS stress realism so we don't want to do something too out of the ordinary. I feel like I've stayed pretty close to what could happen in the realm of the real world.

Also for those interested, I updated my sig to show the Google docs page I keep on the Twins franchise I run. I'm not much of a story teller. I'm a stat guy

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 05-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #603
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I have a question about roster management for the franchise crowd: what's typically your cutoff for players you want to protect from the Rule 5 draft during the off-season, in terms of OVR, age, and POT?

I always wrestle with whether to put a high-50s/low-60s A/B POT player on the 40 man because that starts the clock ticking on option years, etc. But I'm also wary of having promising young talent poached.

How do you guys handle this?
That's a great question but I haven't had the opportunity to really worry about that yet. In the two seasons I mainly simmed through I don't think any player has been selected in the Rule 5 draft. Much better roster management by the CPU AI...

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #604
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
That's a great question but I haven't had the opportunity to really worry about that yet. In the two seasons I mainly simmed through I don't think any player has been selected in the Rule 5 draft. Much better roster management by the CPU AI...
So I wonder if you're safe with your A and B prospects who are below 75-ish OVR...

If the CPU roster management is better, maybe they'll only reach in the Rule 5 draft for a guy who can start that year for that team, not just be a highly rated bench player.

I'd like not to have to put every single top spec over 60 on the 40-man for fear of a Rule 5 loss, but that's what I've been doing to hedge my bets.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #605
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Haha yea I saw that too and it made me feel better. I know most of us on OS stress realism so we don't want to do something too out of the ordinary.

And I think we do it to the point of forgetting that the out of the ordinary is also realistic, especially if the reasoning behind it is plausible.

"Truth is stranger than fiction" is more true than sometimes we want to think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #606
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I have a question about roster management for the franchise crowd: what's typically your cutoff for players you want to protect from the Rule 5 draft during the off-season, in terms of OVR, age, and POT?

I always wrestle with whether to put a high-50s/low-60s A/B POT player on the 40 man because that starts the clock ticking on option years, etc. But I'm also wary of having promising young talent poached.

How do you guys handle this?

For me, it's simple.

Do I expect him to fill a valuable role within one of the following time frames:

-Now?
-Sometime this year?
-Sometime within the next two years?

Then he goes on the protect list and in order of that priority. So if there's a kid I like, but someone who's farther along (in terms of what I need, not necessarily OVR/POT), then the kid I like I'll have to risk exposing unless I can find a spot to take on the 40-man (usually, I'll find one somewhere...even if only a guy who's there only because he filled in for injury the prior year).

I've lost a couple like that, but no one that I really, really expect to need and as such the organization as a whole endures the loss.

And the last rule on my figurative checksheet:

"When in doubt, protect."
Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #607
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

OVR: 0

With the drop of OSFM Hybrid rosters, my franchise has finally kicked into gear. I was able to get off to a hot start at the plate on opening day as I pummeled Keuchel and the Astros 9-1. I figure that if hitting becomes to easy on the sliders I have now that I'll have to up the difficulty after ten games.

Does anyone have recommendations for zone hitting style with QC on? So far I'm using Armor/Sword sliders and I haven't found the hitting to be too hard, just yet.

Opening Day Results
Old 05-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #608
Banned

OVR: 0

Currently 5-3 with the Cubs using Hybrid roster. Schwarber, Hammel are both out for year and Russell is out 60 days. Have Baez Starting at short and called up Pierce Johnson who rotates with Richard for the 5th spot until I figure out what to do roster wise. All in all I'm having a blast minus the bad luck with injury.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »