Home

MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #705
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: MLB The Show 21 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSide83
It only triggers on certain pitches or areas you swing and miss at, usually Pitches way out of the zone
I didn’t know that so thanks. Still happens way too much for my liking though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #706
MVP

TopSide83's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
I didn’t know that so thanks. Still happens way too much for my liking though.
I agree, it’s a total eye sore
Old 05-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #707
Rookie

I had hoped we'd see MLB21 released on PC, but alas it wasn't to be. So CDN$800 and a bit of luck with an unlikely retailer later, I find myself in possession of a PS5, two controllers and MLB21.

For context, this is the first version of MLB that I've played since MLB18. I'm playing it on a 55" 4K tv that doubles as my computer monitor, so I'm sitting nice and close to it. I have to say, this game in 4k/60fps is absolutely jaw dropping. I would have played previous version on an original PS4, so I think that would have been 720p/30fps? Maybe 1080p? I can't remember what it was capable of. In any event this is visually just at a whole other level compared to my past experiences.

It's more than just eye candy too, I'm finding that despite having not played in so many years I've gotten the hang of hitting quite quickly (at least at lower levels, will progress as I get further in to it). The higher resolution and smooth framerate absolutely makes hitting easier. The pitches are so much easier to identify, there's no perceptible lag when I press the swing button, it's fantastic.

So those are my first impressions as someone coming back to the series after several years away. Looking forward to spending this rainy weekend here getting my Blue Jays franchise going.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #708
Rookie

Pinpoint pitching is making me nuts. I do not quite understand it. I played four games online using it and essentially I was just throwing batting practice. I try to throw a fastball up and in and hit the targets and they are green or blue and the pitch is 2 feet over the catchers head.

then i completely miss the targets and they are red and yellow and my slider I am trying to throw down and way is perfect.

None of it makes sense to me. I went back to meter pitching.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #709
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theebs
Pinpoint pitching is making me nuts. I do not quite understand it. I played four games online using it and essentially I was just throwing batting practice. I try to throw a fastball up and in and hit the targets and they are green or blue and the pitch is 2 feet over the catchers head.

then i completely miss the targets and they are red and yellow and my slider I am trying to throw down and way is perfect.

None of it makes sense to me. I went back to meter pitching.
It literally will tell you what you're doing wrong. If your release is off then the pitch will never be right where you want it. The release timing and accuracy is probably the two most important parts of mechanic. The gesture should still be as accurate as you can get it, but if you're messing up your release you're going to be missing all game.

That said, if your gestures are terrible all game, a perfect release won't save them all game. What was the feedback you were getting from the mechanic?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 05-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #710
Rookie

Loving this game. The weird thing is I have two relatively new Sony flat screen lcd blah blah blah tvs and this game, by far, looks amazing on a 10 year old dynex tv I have. It’s the weirdest thing. It looks absolutely real on that tv, but it looks like a game on the newer, nicer tvs. Strangest thing.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #711
MVP

OVR: 11

am i the only who loves the 7pm game lighting right at the start? lol i just got the game a couple days ago, and really enjoying this game on the ps5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #712
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

I think I'm officially part of the problem. Sorry everyone but for the first time in my life I'm actually playing Diamond Dynasty and absolutely loving it.

I also joined a 30 user online custom league and having a blast.

I'm also way more invested into my relocation franchise tgan I usually get with a realism one thanks to my custom stadium and could see myself wanting to carry it over so I hope year to year saves come back. I like that you can change your stadium as much as you want and still use it in your franchise so I can basically do "seasonal upgrades" or build a new one.

This is a good year of video game baseball for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »