Home

NBA 2K17 Freelance Offense Community Wiki

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Freelance Offense Community Wiki within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Freelance Offense Community Wiki

Regarding our concern with the Hawks Freelance not providing enough branch options. I notice I was mistakenly selecting Hawks Set Freelance, which doesn't provide enough (if any, lol) branch options for my liking. Once I selected the Hawks Freelance (there's a HawksSet Freelance and Hawks Freelance within the Freelance options), I was getting all of the branch options from last iteration and much much more when I changed from Motion Cuts to Scoring Actions. Make sure you select Hawks Freelance and not Hawks Set. It makes basketball life much easier.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #50
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle81
Czar just posted a video of the hawks freelance, and it appears that motion cuts are repeated actions while scoring actions is more dynamic. Seems like this should be our default actions if we want to see different motions and cuts and sets within our freelances.
I just updated my comment #2 just after the OP with a breakdown of the information Czar dropped on us today about MOtion Cuts versus Scoring Actions.

This is really critical information for anyone using freelance offenses this year.

On a side note, anyone who reads or gets value out of this thread really should lobby 2k on twitter or whatever to make sure we get dev blogs on this stuff in future years.

If we don't make noise about them shutting OG and Czar down this year, we're always going to be behind and in the dark trying to figure all this out on our own every year.

It's just unfathomable to me that they would put in all this depth and shut up about it , especially when they literally rebuilt the difficulty settings around all the stuff in ACE. These are major changes to the game - for the better - and they are making a huge mistake keeping everyone in the dark.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildog
The roster update was supposed to add plays but I think it removed some. I'm not seeing any of the triangle ucla high post plays. Plus I'm still not seeing any of the Warriors split plays. The exist in freelance but still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
removed plays? great - now i have to go back and revise my custom playbooks and make sure everything is there. thanks for being so transparent, 2k.

edit: apparently czar updated some playbooks so i guess that's what you're seeing. i'd trust him though - maybe he removed some things that weren't working quite right and added better ones.

Last edited by psydefx; 09-28-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #52
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

I vote for the freelance option to make a return so we can choose which action were trying to create. Unless I'm missing something on how they trigger that was one aspect that was way better in 2k16. I think I'm probably just gonna stick to calling plays this year. *sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 09-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #53
Rookie

In response to Czar's Hawks Freelance Video

A little disclaimer... Thanks again Czar and ScottOG for the work you and your teams have done over the past couple of years in implementing the freelances and extended defensive settings into the game! I've learned more about the game of basketball playing the last few iterations of 2K than I have in 20 years of watching basketball. I'm excited to see all of the new changes you guys put into the game throughout this year and in the coming years.

It's interesting what you guys have done with Motion Cuts/Scoring Actions this year, but I have to say I'm missing the Motion Cuts versions of the freelances we had in 2K16. I felt like I could run an entire 48 minute game last year without calling a play and run a realistic offense. I get what you're trying to do by making them more accessible and easier to execute, but we're losing out on a lot of the variety we had last year in these sets.

I know if I want this experience in 2K17, I should be running the Scoring Actions versions of the freelances but I have a few gripes with how they are run and how we can learn how they are operated:
  • It seems like when I switch Scoring Actions, I wind up with a ton of isolations when I'm really wanting to get the whole team involved. I know that there are tons of options throughout these freelances but I have trouble getting them to consistently trigger (especially if you're bring the ball up with a superstar like Lebron, Lillard, Durant, etc.). I'm guessing I can get more control over the types of actions that are triggered by changing the game plan, but we don't have an environment to test this in apart from an actual game...
  • I would like to see all gameplan/coaching options, offensive and defensive, available in scrimmage mode.. This is the environment where we can really learn the nuances of the freelances without worrying about shot clock, timeouts, and all of the other distractions that come along with a real game. Czar, you know this better than anyone since every video you post is always in Scrimmage mode .

Since everything seems to be so dependent on the gameplan/coaching options this year, we have incomplete control over our playstyle it while we are learning it which means it is going to be very difficult to master the systems this year. At the moment, we have the following options:
    • Offensive:
      • Freelance
      • Space the Floor/Motion Cuts/Scoring Actions
      • Plays (including Smart Plays and Dynamic Plays)
    • Defensive:
      • Pressure Settings (Tight/Deny/Moderate/Gap)
      • Matchups

This is just scratching the surface of what we have available to us. I would like to see this expanded to include all of the options we have in the games inside the pause menus, timeout menus, and on-the-fly menus on both sides of the ball. We can't use the tools effectively if we don't know how they work! It's like having a fighting game without a training mode to practice combos. I know this is probably a really big request, but please keep it in mind for patches and future versions of the game.

I'm looking forward to the stream with Scott later in the week to pick up some tips on the defensive side and hope you continue to do your's throughout the year.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #54
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

So I made a little video of the Dribble Drive Motion offense. Again I'm enjoying this freelance a lot.

This is mainly of the handoff option. Once the opponent starts over playing. It opens up back doors and sagging off

Don't worry about the results of the play. This is so you can see about the quality of the shot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeebs9; 09-29-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #55
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quick back cut out of the Horns set.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #56
Rookie

rnichol8's Arena

OVR: 5

This thread has been extremely helpful!

Does OG have a youtube/blog/thread similar to this for defense? I would like to learn more about the new additions on this end of the court.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »