Home

Why dont they ever update the players?

This is a discussion on Why dont they ever update the players? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #33
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Why dont they ever update the players?

All this thread proves to me is that some people don't check out individual rating's they just look at the OVR and complain.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #34
MVP

Po Pimp's Arena

OVR: 15

The main thing I'll say about ratings is that some guys have ratings based on reputation, and overall, the shooting percentages are way too high.

There's no way an almost 29 year old Dwyane Wade is the fastest player in the NBA, as he is on 2K.

When you sim through a season, there are FAR too many top scoring perimeter players shooting over 50%, and in a season where no one is averaging more than 28ppg, you consistently have at least 6-7 players averaging over 29ppg. As far as the FG% is concerned, I believe if u scale down the shooting attributes, you will get more rebounds (as a player like Dwight Howard with 99 rebound rating only averages 11-12.

Players like Kevin Love will never lead the NBA in rebounding on 2K because he has a low vertical. Dwight Howard is a great rebounder, but it's mostly based on his jumping ability. You make Dwight's rebounding in the high 80s-low 90s, coupled with scaled down shooting across the board, he should still average around 12rpg. Keep Kevin Love in the mid 90s, and he leads the league in boards. Only Rodman should have a 99 in both rebound categories.

Chris Paul is not having a better season than Deron Williams, yet his OVR rank is 96 compared to D-Will's 92.

I really believe 2K can be a very realistic game, but the ratings/coaching sliders need to be worked on.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #35
Like Father Like son

ROABS's Arena

OVR: 17

no matter what 2k rates someone there will always be people dissapointed with ( insert players name here) rating. the cool thing is we can edit them all we want ourselves. i understand for online you cannot but once again feel the players are pretty close to what they should be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

^^ exactly ^^

Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #37
Rookie

foofighter2455's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROABS
no matter what 2k rates someone there will always be people dissapointed with ( insert players name here) rating. the cool thing is we can edit them all we want ourselves. i understand for online you cannot but once again feel the players are pretty close to what they should be.
First off, this thread doesn't really apply to guys that aren't playing online because you association and offline games guys can fix these things yourselves. Us online-only players rely on 2K to fix ratings for us so please don't say the usual, "fix it yourself".

Secondly, you're saying Chauncey Billups should be able to make 70% of his threes? Or that Troy Murphy is an elite shooter even though he's missed most of the season with "the flu"?

The problem isn't overall ratings, it is the lack of drops for guys that aren't playing well and the delay to give good players their due.

Kyle Korver 95 3pt while Richard Jefferson is down at an 80? Deshawn Stevenson shooting by far a career best from 3 and he's down in the low 70's? Stephen Jackson untouched the entire season?

You can give Rajon Rondo a 99 OVL rating and he still may not be able to shoot, but what's important are the individual ratings that aren't being edited properly or at all.

Hell, Walter Hermann has a higher 3-pt rating than anyone in the game except Korver and Morrow... How many of you have seen Walter hit a 3pter this season in the NBA or shoot better than Ray Allen even when he was in the NBA?

There's the real issue here. It doesn't matter what Amare's OVL is, it matters if he is able to play like he does in real life and IMO he loses the ball off the dribble more than he would in real life when you use him in 2k, should have a higher block rating, and needs his contest shot tendency raised...

...but other than that he is spot on and doesn't need a big increase

Last edited by foofighter2455; 01-06-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #38
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

You brought a free agent in this thread... Why are people worried about people who are not playing in the league right now? I think for free agents... whatever their last rating was while in the league should be the same even if they haven't played in a few years. Until this player proves that he not worth of those rating leave him as is... Just my 2 cents.

But you are right... some ratings are not being changed like they should. But the to me the hardest thing is that in itself. The DNA thing blew up in EA's face last year. The updating every game thing. Last year... Kobe was having trouble shooting from med range. We all know Kobe as a med range shooter (and a strength to his overall game). It took 2k a few months before they dropped Kobe's med range to about the low 80's. But EA dropped his rating in the first month of the season. From a casual users point of view like my cousin. He couldn't shoot with Kobe in EA's game.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #39
Like Father Like son

ROABS's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter2455
First off, this thread doesn't really apply to guys that aren't playing online because you association and offline games guys can fix these things yourselves. Us online-only players rely on 2K to fix ratings for us so please don't say the usual, "fix it yourself".

Secondly, you're saying Chauncey Billups should be able to make 70% of his threes? Or that Troy Murphy is an elite shooter even though he's missed most of the season with "the flu"?

The problem isn't overall ratings, it is the lack of drops for guys that aren't playing well and the delay to give good players their due.

Kyle Korver 95 3pt while Richard Jefferson is down at an 80? Deshawn Stevenson shooting by far a career best from 3 and he's down in the low 70's? Stephen Jackson untouched the entire season?

You can give Rajon Rondo a 99 OVL rating and he still may not be able to shoot, but what's important are the individual ratings that aren't being edited properly or at all.

Hell, Walter Hermann has a higher 3-pt rating than anyone in the game except Korver and Morrow... How many of you have seen Walter hit a 3pter this season in the NBA or shoot better than Ray Allen even when he was in the NBA?

There's the real issue here. It doesn't matter what Amare's OVL is, it matters if he is able to play like he does in real life and IMO he loses the ball off the dribble more than he would in real life when you use him in 2k, should have a higher block rating, and needs his contest shot tendency raised...

...but other than that he is spot on and doesn't need a big increase

did i say the ratings were perfect? nope
did i say i understand for the online players it could be frustrating ? yep

and because troy murphy has the flu? does that mean he couldnt shoot with the same % as before?

i understand that some players may be better or worse but going into the season 2k felt these ratings were close. i dont think because a player is having a career best half of a season we should jump and up his ratings . lets finish the year and see how the numbers look then.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #40
Rookie

foofighter2455's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROABS
did i say the ratings were perfect? nope
did i say i understand for the online players it could be frustrating ? yep

and because troy murphy has the flu? does that mean he couldnt shoot with the same % as before?

i understand that some players may be better or worse but going into the season 2k felt these ratings were close. i dont think because a player is having a career best half of a season we should jump and up his ratings . lets finish the year and see how the numbers look then.
I wasn't talking specifically to you with my post, but I'll gladly debate

Troy Murphy was used as an example because he's having a terrible year and should not be one of the best shooting forwards in the game anymore. The Nets have used "the flu" as an excuse not to have him in the arena because he is not a good player this year and should NOT be rated as a better shooter than every PF not named Nowitzki.

Jermaine O'Neal is still rated in the mid 70's and has good ratings for the things he doesn't do well anymore, and HASN'T done for years.

I don't understand why you would want the ratings when the game comes out to stay the same for an entire season... If a guy has played half a season significantly better than he has played last season, he should be updated to AT LEAST a medium between his performances last year and currently.

Guys like Deshawn Stevenson, Jermaine O'Neal, Troy Murphy, Von Wafer, Kyle Korver, Chauncey Billups, Ron Artest, and MANY more are rated on what they did last year or even years before and have NO representation of how they play currently.

If someone like Shannon Brown comes out of nowhere to be a stud, are you saying 2K should have left him all season as a below-average shooting guard with little more than the ability to dunk?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »