Home

NBA 2K13 - Some Clarity on the Control Stick

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 - Some Clarity on the Control Stick within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #137
MVP

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I don't think we can compare this new dribbling system to live 10 or elite, especially elites. I think this will be a never before seen type of system. Just look at the d.rose spin to cross, along with the ability to dribble off of contact.
I think it's gunna be an improved version of Live 10's analog dribbling than anything else. Even the way they move in that clip reminded me a ton of Live 10. Elite 11 was trying something a big different with a hybrid dribbling/shot stick combo plus the different types of shots were moreso controlled by that stick and a trigger, if I remember correctly, which I thought was pretty cool, myself. I still play that demo here and there cuz it was fun if u block out all the bad which was 99% of the rest of what was there. Lolol. Haven't played it in a while, tho.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #138
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2K13 - Some Clarity on the Control Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I think it's gunna be an improved version of Live 10's analog dribbling than anything else. Even the way they move in that clip reminded me a ton of Live 10. Elite 11 was trying something a big different with a hybrid dribbling/shot stick combo plus the different types of shots were moreso controlled by that stick and a trigger, if I remember correctly, which I thought was pretty cool, myself. I still play that demo here and there cuz it was fun if u block out all the bad which was 99% of the rest of what was there. Lolol. Haven't played it in a while, tho.
I disagree, live 10 and elite's dribbling systems were good, better than 2k10's isomotion arguably 2k11's(which was pretty good) NBA 2k12 was live 10's dribbling system just on the left stick.

Even then, 2k12's dribbling system was really deep(very underrated) There were moves that were contextual. Live never had that, you had your set of moves and that was it. 2k12 you can get different moves, depending on speed and timing. There are a ton of moves that you have to discover. That's why I think 2k13's dribbling system isn't like live's, because moves will vary depending on that situation.

I think people are only comparing them, because isomotion is on the right stick now. But I highly doubt this is a freestyle dribbling clone. Just because the isomotion system has always been deeper than live's
Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #139
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Perhaps someone will help me figure this out.

I have cerebral palsy and currently remap the basic controls onto my specialized one-handed controler for the PC. I have been playing NBA2k since 2k9 and I have been able to play an enjoyable game (2k is one of the few sports games I can play now.) performing basic lay-ups, dunks and jump-shots. In 2k11 I used to do the Euro-step button, but in 2K12, it became too complicated to do for me.

The preview said the "old system is completely gone" but in this clarification, it seems there still is a possibility I will be able to remap everything to play 2K13 and even "gain" some basic dribble moves I could not perform before. Is this a correct interpretation?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #140
Rookie

redenvy's Arena

OVR: 0
I hope there not bringing back the hopstep cheese from 2k11
Old 08-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #141
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

Wouldn't it make more sense to default the right stick as the shot stick & then by holding the left shoulder button (L2 on PS3) will turn the right stick into the control stick?

Doesn't that seem to be the natural way to lay out the controls?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #142
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Wouldn't it make more sense to default the right stick as the shot stick & then by holding the left shoulder button (L2 on PS3) will turn the right stick into the control stick?

2k has confirmed that you can reverse the control settings in the options menu so that it works like you mentioned above
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #143
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa

You can switch it to that as that is what Beluba said but that doesn't seem natural to me. I would rather have it the way they set it up but at least we have options. But there are pro's and con's to having it each way.
  • I think I would be dribbling more in the shot clock for plays so I would rather not have to hold LT most of the game to do a dribble move and then release it when it is time to shoot. That is one less button I have to press while moving around the court.
  • I do see your point though but I think the way they set it up is more natural to real life. The right stick is your strong hand/dribbling and LT is your off hand. You always have to press LT to shoot as you have to put your off hand on the ball and then you shoot with your strong hand right stick. The downside of this you do have to always press that LT for some quick bang bang plays for quick shots, or go to the shot button
Old 08-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #144
MVP

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I disagree, live 10 and elite's dribbling systems were good, better than 2k10's isomotion arguably 2k11's(which was pretty good) NBA 2k12 was live 10's dribbling system just on the left stick.

Even then, 2k12's dribbling system was really deep(very underrated) There were moves that were contextual. Live never had that, you had your set of moves and that was it. 2k12 you can get different moves, depending on speed and timing. There are a ton of moves that you have to discover. That's why I think 2k13's dribbling system isn't like live's, because moves will vary depending on that situation.

I think people are only comparing them, because isomotion is on the right stick now. But I highly doubt this is a freestyle dribbling clone. Just because the isomotion system has always been deeper than live's
I definitely don't see what ur talking about. MW is basically taking what he did for Live 10 as the base for this new control set up with some new and different wrinkles.

I'm also digging how pulling a trigger I can switch to the shot stick for my shooting. I like that idea over button shooting. Good marriage of the two ideas.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »