Home

nba 2k13 everything Defense

This is a discussion on nba 2k13 everything Defense within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: nba 2k13 everything Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreckless
The lead pass to the paint is back with a vengeance this year. It's worse than it has been since 2k9 or 2k10.

Even though I like playing on-ball defense, this has forced me back to playing off-ball because it's the only way to have a chance to slow this down unless I want to play zone.

Sometimes you get called for a foul just by standing in place with your hands up as the offensive player barrels into you. Extremely frustrating to the point where I may have to put the game down for awhile if I can't figure out how to counter it.
Yea ive had a hard time stopping this. Frustrating when you work hard to stop the PG with on ball defense only to have him dump to a center or forward, who my CPU teammate has fallen asleep on. So you work hard on defense to deny a drive (no small feat this year), and then boom, layup dunk from center.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik

- The problem I'm having with defense at the moment is that there is no structure to it. I'd prefer something consistent, like a rules-based system but when I finally think I've got part of the defense down it just changes. In MyTeam, for example, I've gotten use to having to defend Korver in 80% of my matches, and before I used to just set def settings at deny ball/tight for both onball and offball and then let the CPU defend him, but he would still manage to drain threes when Thabo Sefolosha was stuck to him like glue. Then I decided to just intervene when Korver had the ball and force him to drive, but he will still knock down fast break threes. Now I'm just playing off ball D on Korver and sticking to him at all times, but still getting mixed results. I have no way of defending the fast break three because my players just collapse into the paint. Playing on ball 100% and just switching when necessary is playing with fire when Korver's on the floor.

- Having trouble with people who just try to rush the pain constantly with Rivers and then do a lead pass to their center. They don't need a pick or anything. It's ridiculous.
Some of this is the fact that online is set to Pro/ Default, plain and simple. I don't think you'll ever get any consistency at this level. All that said ive had success turning up my defensive pressure coaching slider for teams with three point threats..it puts your players in a good position to defend as soon as they catch the ball at the three point line...try it, it really does work.

This does put them in a position to blow by you of they are quick enough though....so pick your poison. As far as players force dribbling through the lane, don't forget to press your steal button when you successfully cut them off...this will lead to a steal or force them to pick up their dribble alot of the time...seems like ALOT of people don't use this...
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

Here is my tip on defending the paint:

Do not touch the left and right triggers. What I mean by this is if you want to attempt a block, just press triangle/Y without holding down L2/R2 or LT/RT.

Also, I hold down the right-stick so my player will put their arms up. If you point them in the direction of the ball handler with the left stick you will contest the shot. Again, don't touch the triggers -- they seem to cancel out any sort of defense like blocking and contesting shots.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

Can someone help me understand with something? I want to understand how to deal with bad interior passes as the off ball defender.

As in, you're in the passing lane, in real life it should clearly not be a possible pass but I seem to never actually steal it.

Am I supposed to use the right stick? Time the steal button perfectly?

I'd appreciate the help!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesTeg
Can someone help me understand with something? I want to understand how to deal with bad interior passes as the off ball defender.

As in, you're in the passing lane, in real life it should clearly not be a possible pass but I seem to never actually steal it.

I'd appreciate the help!
I'm not sure if this affects what you're talking about, but when I play against people on MyTEAM I set defensive help to 100. I also use the right stick to put my hands up. I'm not sure which one affects passing lanes, but I get a ton of steals if the person I'm playing against tries spamming passes into the post. Even when I'm not controlling a specific player in the post they will throw up their arms and deflect the pass -- sometimes they'll even catch it.

I have not figured out if it has to do with using the right stick or if its the defensive help setting though.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #30
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesTeg

Yeah I've been trying to work on this. I play certain people who I know exactly how and when they are going to throw that lead pass, but even when you time the steal button (seemingly) perfectly, the pass gets through most of the time.

I'm beginning to think the success of this pass is almost entirely ratings based. I feel that most big men's steal ratings are probably just set too low to consistently bother that pass.

Quote:

Do not touch the left and right triggers. What I mean by this is if you want to attempt a block, just press triangle/Y without holding down L2/R2 or LT/RT.

Also, I hold down the right-stick so my player will put their arms up. If you point them in the direction of the ball handler with the left stick you will contest the shot. Again, don't touch the triggers -- they seem to cancel out any sort of defense like blocking and contesting shots.
If this is true, then Visual Concepts is sending a mixed message, since the left trigger is supposed to automatically contest shots this year (at least on default settings).
Old 10-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #31
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

OVR: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornBetter

LT is is intense defense/auto-contest and has its purpose. This isn't the best advice in my opinion because the auto-contest is extremely effective, especially online due to lag. If you are holding LT and the contest is triggered, then you press Y or use the RS, it will cancel the auto-contest and issue your input which takes a second. Auto-contest takes the guess work out of it and relies more on the player's tendencies than your reactions to the delayed visual on your screen. It is even more delayed online due to lag so the auto-contest really help combat that issue.

Sent from my EVO.... 4 real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

My only real complaint about the defense is the lack on contact on certain dunk and layup animations and defenders not attempting to defend or even react to some layups and dunks. To improve this a little I set.....

All-Star settings Simulation
Driving contact shot freq: 100
Inside contact shot freq: 100
Help Defense: 85
Shot Blocking: 90
Defensive Awareness: 75

Their is still a lot of dunk and layup animations that don't trigger contact or a reaction, but it's better than the default sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »