Home

7 Minute NBA Elite 11 Video (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on 7 Minute NBA Elite 11 Video (Gamespot) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #73
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: 7 Minute NBA Elite Video (Gamespot)

I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve! CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #74
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

This game is going to be "Elite".
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #75
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
Thanks for the info rEAnimator i've got one question though, how long does it take to fix issues with this game? B/c the way the guys who went the EA even they described as a quick process.

So for example if the things that BomBthreat pointed are issues with the animations would it be a simple fix or a more complex one?
Some issues are really difficult and can take days/weeks to get right and some take minutes/hours to fix.

But the guys who went to EA are right, we've made huge improvements to our technology and workflows that allow us to fix things way quicker than we could before. What it does is pushes a lot more of the issues into the minutes/hours category which is great for us and great for the end product.

The specific issues BomBthreat pointed out...the missing animation component of it is an easy fix, keeping the dribbler from making forward progress while in collision is an easy fix.

Some of the foot sliding might be more difficult to fix, but until I had confirmed what the cause of it was it's hard to say for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #76
NBA Elite Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknows
rEAnimator thanks for your time on here you seem to be on top of things and I like where you guys are going with elite this year.

One small thing that bothers me though is the animation you have for a player picking up or going to retrieve a ball is really bad. Just look in this 7 min vid, it's to quick and not very natrual. I've done alot of shooting ball on the court by my self and rarely do I run and bend down with two hands really quick to get the ball. Most of the time I reach with one hand grab the ball as its bouncing and in the same motion start the dribble or if it's low to the ground I might slap it a few quick times to get the dribble going, and some guy's may reach down and palm it.

Just some thought's on a small but annoying issue to me.
I know exactly what you mean.

Something to keep in mind is that the animations we're using are generally meant for a full 5v5 game, not for a casual shoot around. As a result, they probably look more intense than they should for a shoot around situation.

The other thing to consider is that the user has full control over the player picking up the ball so as programmers on the game we can't dictate where/when the pickup will happen, that's up to the user. I mean we could, but then the controls could start to feel inconsistent. This again goes to that trade off between look and feel in the game.

So what we do is make the best of the situation and have pickup animations that work at any height, or maybe use IK to get the hands into the right position to pick up the ball.

I like the idea of the low quick slap dribbles to get the ball going, as long as your player is still under your control, although I'm picturing something a little more intense that would match the urgency of a full 5v5 game.

It's not likely something we'll get to this year, but would be a nice touch to add for next year.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 3

Very nice and quite impressive. But can you devs fix the weird lay up motion after up and under from at 05:35? It's good to hear ea adding many post moves. Concerning about their unnatural motion.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #78
Pro

OVR: 9

rEAnimator,

thanks for all the great feedback so far. Elite is shaping up to be a solid sim bball game. I just have two questions.

1. Are you guys working on smoothing out the animations? This has been a sore spot on nba live for as long as I can remember and something the competition has been doing better.

2. Are you planning on using the new physics system for ball/rim interactions? If not, will this area be significantly tweaked? Live has never had realistic looking ball/rim interactions.

Last edited by clivo1050; 06-23-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #79
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Thanks for the info and its nice to know little problems like that can be fixed gives me a lot of hope for this year.

I'm not as worried about nagging problems being as much of an issue due to the fact that the technology allows for quicker fixes. One thing that had me a little worried is that this years game would feel incomplete due to their being a new system in place.

Here's to hoping that everything comes together well b/c if it does I think you guys will be able to deliver a great basketball game in Elite 11.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #80
NBA Elite Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivo1050
rEAnimator,

thanks for all the great feedback so far. Elite is shaping up to be a solid sim bball game. I just have two questions.

1. Are you guys working on smoothing out the animations? This has been a sore spot on nba live for as long as I can remember and something the competition has been doing better.

2. Are you planning on using the new physics system for ball/rim interactions? If not, will this area be significantly tweaked? Live has never had realistic looking ball/rim interactions.
1. Yes, and comparing this years game to last years game I know we're in good shape on this front. We may have some sliding feet issues to sort out before we ship, but our animations and transitions this year are pretty smooth already. Much better than last year.

2. Ball/rim isn't as much of a focus no. We're focusing on player/player physics and keeping the ball loose and free to be influenced by physics in as many situations as possible. Ball/rim physics have been tweaked a little from last year, but it hasn't been the focus.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »