Home

NBA Live - Off ball control (Bring it back!)

This is a discussion on NBA Live - Off ball control (Bring it back!) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21
NBA Live - Off ball control (Bring it back!)

Seriously, this was one of my most favorite features ever added to a basketball game and I really wish the NBA Live team would consider bringing this back. I couldn't remember which version of Live had this, so I had to do a little digging and came across this video (I remember when the Live team used to put out visual blogs like this). But yea, this feature was very underrated and probably under appreciated and I really hope to see it included again in NBA Live.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA Live - Off ball control (Bring it back!)

This looks like a solid mechanic that is absolutely needed. From what I gather, it looks like you can have the off-ball teammate come receive a pass, but more importantly come meet the pass.

This would essentially be an alternative to what I'm looking for with regards to player specific screen button. I've never used it because I never really played Live in the past. Even if this were to be brought back at a later date, I obviously would still love for a more player specific screen button.

EDIT: The more I think about it...

Even if this off-ball mechanic were to be introduced in Live 19, the screen button would still be a quicker method to have the off-ball teammate come meet the pass. Teammate specific screen button would still allow me as the ball handler to move around while the off-ball teammate starts moving towards me to set a screen or come meet the pass.

With the off-ball mechanic as shown in this particular video, you can only control one player at a time. You basically "relinquish" control of the ball handler while you're navigating the off-ball teammate with the analog stick.

In other words, both mechanics should be a gameplay control mechanic that needs to be in Live 19, or possible 18 (if that is even a remote possibility).

EDIT (One year later): Actually, the off-ball control mechanics would be superior to simply using the player specific screen button to direct traffic. Bring off-ball control mechanics back to Live.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-24-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
This looks like a solid mechanic that is absolutely needed. From what I gather, it looks like you can have the off-ball teammate come receive a pass, but more importantly come meet the pass.

This would essentially be an alternative to what I'm looking for with regards to player specific screen button. I've never used it because I never really played Live in the past. Even if this were to be brought back at a later date, I obviously would still love for a more player specific screen button.

EDIT: The more I think about it...

Even if this off-ball mechanic were to be introduced in Live 19, the screen button would still be a quicker method to have the off-ball teammate come meet the pass. Teammate specific screen button would still allow me as the ball handler to move around while the off-ball teammate starts moving towards me to set a screen or come meet the pass.

With the off-ball mechanic as shown in this particular video, you can only control one player at a time. You basically "relinquish" control of the ball handler while you're navigating the off-ball teammate with the analog stick.

In other words, both mechanics should be a gameplay control mechanic that needs to be in Live 19, or possible 18 (if that is even a remote possibility).

100% agree on the screen control. I've been having a hell of a time trying to get Kevin Love to set screens for me instead of Tristan. Not to mention not being able to choose the screener from the triple threat.

I did love that mechanic in Live 10 to control off ball players though. It made weaving a shooter through the defense and getting their man stuck behind a screen so much easier to set up open looks, or alley oops that don't come from a pick and roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
MVP

An approximate one year necrobump but this off-ball control mechanic is sorely missing, and should be an absolute requirement for future NBA live titles. There are stuff in NBA Live 19 that I imagine doing but I simply can't pull it off because my off-ball teammates aren't moving to where I need them to be.

I popped in NBA Live 10 for about 5 minutes and the ability to orchestrate what I want my teammates to do simply using this mechanic is an absolute breath of fresh air.

Someone please send a memo to team NBA Live. They had it in '10, bring it back for '20 if it's impossible to implement for '19.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:47 PM   #5
NBA Live Gameplay Designer

Schwall's Arena

Try tap then hold RB/R1 then select your player. You'll then off ball with that player while the cpu takes over the ball carrier.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2018, 12:58 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwall
Try tap then hold RB/R1 then select your player. You'll then off ball with that player while the cpu takes over the ball carrier.
Unfortunately. I can’t get it to work.

Tap R1 brings up player icon, then disappears.
Hold R1 brings up player icon, and it remains on screen, but pressing the corresponding icon simply passes the ball to that player.
Tap R1, then hold R1 is the same as simply holding R1.

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-25-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
Designer on NBA Live

ProjectLeet's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Unfortunately. I can’t get it to work.

Tap R1 brings up player icon, then disappears.
Hold R1 brings up player icon, and it remains on screen, but pressing the corresponding icon simply passes the ball to that player.
Tap R1, then hold R1 is the same as simply holding R1.
You try to tap R1, release, then press AND hold R1 quickly? should bring up icons and whatever you pick should playerlock you to play off-ball.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:33 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectLeet
You try to tap R1, release, then press AND hold R1 quickly? should bring up icons and whatever you pick should playerlock you to play off-ball.
Sweet. Did it. Apparently, you have to be very quick. This may have actually saved the game for me. This may have also sold me the game, now I can finally run an offense while incorporating plays and off-ball control.

Other concerns:

1. How do I quickly pass the ball to that person, do I just press X? or is there an even quicker way?

2. is it possible to use icon to select the exact player you want setting a screen instead of using the analog stick plus bumper. The analog stick plus r1 isn’t always responsive. If I’m on one side of the court with Curry and I want Klay standing at the other corner side three how can I specifically call for Klay to come set a screen. this is one thing that’s still bugging me about the game.

3. play calling - can I cue up only the playbook for a specific player like Draymond Green without having to be distracted by my other teammates playbook?

4. Is it possible to stop my ball handler from moving and speed boost after I select a play?

5. How do I quickly send some to cut to the basket using icon select, or is it only possible with the analog stick with d-pad?

note: it’s simply much more precise using icon select instead of the analog stick, and it’s also much quicker to orchestrate a free flowing offense.

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-25-2018 at 02:45 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »