Home

Greg Anthony and Stephen A. Smith on NBA Shootaround

This is a discussion on Greg Anthony and Stephen A. Smith on NBA Shootaround within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #17
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Greg Anthony and Stephen A. Smith on NBA Shootaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdiddyPop
I also thought the Draft was supposed to be for bad teams to get better quicker? Now it's 2-3 yrs b4 some of these guys even get significant time.

Then draft a Senior out of college.

I just dont see how forcing a kid to go to college is a way of helping him. Plus you are taking a scholarship from a kid who may actually wanna play there.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #18
Banned

Programmed2Kill's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
You should try to find last month's issue of Time Magazine...they did a very compelling story on the horrendously low graduation rates for college hoop players. They singled out all of the March Madness Tournament Teams specifically. It's sickening how they are playing these kids and the majority of them are not getting college degrees. Although I am not a proponent of paying college athletes, the low graduation rates allow me to see why some do want to pay the kids.

And if I remember correctly, the goal of going to college is still to graduate.

Just because they don't graduate, doesn't mean they don't learn some things.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #19
Banned

Programmed2Kill's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiggalsu

I just dont see how forcing a kid to go to college is a way of helping him. Plus you are taking a scholarship from a kid who may actually wanna play there.

Well they can go overseas for two years.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #20
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmed2Kill
Well they can go overseas for two years.

Or give them a true developmental league. If people argue that NBA life is a cutural shock what do you think being overseas will do. Plus the teams overseas will lock them into a contract and force a messy buyout.

Just give a true minor league and let teams call them up. Thats fair but to make a rule only beause its gonna make some other folks a lot of money by using this kids talent and they will in turn help scratch your back is like some wapred indentured servant setup. Its basically saying Duke, UNC and what ever name schools can make millions off you for a few years then you can make your money. Its a trap setup by too different companies making choices for people.

And just cause the NFL does it doesnt make it right. If GMs dont want high school teams dont draft them.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #21
K*ngs *f th* D*nc*!

PdiddyPop's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiggalsu

Well if GM's just decide not to draft these HS players they could get sued for collusion like aholbert has said quite a few times. It's a no win situation if you are a GM. Everyone looks at it from a players perspective, but look at it from a GM's point of view. If they don't draft a "potential Phenom" and take someone else they get canned. Esp if that "Phenom" turns out to be a good pro. So either you take someone for potential *since everyone is chasing the next MJ (which is ******** since they never will be another MJ)*, or you take a college kid. The Draft isn't being used for what it was started for anyway. To get bad teams better faster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #22
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I also thought the Draft was supposed to be for bad teams to get better quicker? Now it's 2-3 yrs b4 some of these guys even get significant time.
I can list the names of 4 year seniors or 3 year players that have done ziltch in the NBA.

And tell that to Al Jefferson,Kendrick Perkins,Josh/JR Smith,Dwight HowardHeck I can go to the 1 year college guys like Christ Bosh,Melo...Even Sebastian Telfair has played well lately.He been able to outplay vets like NVE and Mighty Mouse.Ariza,nother 1 year guy...Man I can go on and on...

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #23
Banned

Programmed2Kill's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceanity2k3
I can list the names of 4 year seniors or 3 year players that have done ziltch in the NBA.

And tell that to Al Jefferson,Kendrick Perkins,Josh/JR Smith,Dwight HowardHeck I can go to the 1 year college guys like Christ Bosh,Melo...Even Sebastian Telfair has played well lately.He been able to outplay vets like NVE and Mighty Mouse.Ariza,nother 1 year guy...Man I can go on and on...

Honestly, who cares about players that were busts? There have been guys like that since the league started. Some guys just don't have it. You can say, "well these guys seem to have it." Well yeah, in a weaker league. The NBA is trying to go back to a league where guys can shoot and big guys can learn some post moves.

As for Telfair, only reason he's ahead of NVE and Stoudamire is because the team sucks and they are trying to have Telfair become ready for next year. Talented, yes...but if they were winning, they would want experience in there most of the time.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:13 AM   #24
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Honestly, who cares about players that were busts? There have been guys like that since the league started. Some guys just don't have it. You can say, "well these guys seem to have it." Well yeah, in a weaker league. The NBA is trying to go back to a league where guys can shoot and big guys can learn some post moves.

These guys are still performing though...I don't care what anyone says..It takes talent to succeed in this league and these young dudes have that talent and they've proven it.I'll say it again,for every HS,1 year college bust,I can give you and upperclassman who hasn't even been able to do much in the league.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »