Home

Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin

This is a discussion on Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 16
Re: Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
it's funny because i was watching a hockey show on tsn the other nite and i believe it was mike milbury saying that crosby should play with more passion like ovechkin does.
LOL really? Crosby plays with passion, which sometimes might lead to nut punching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo-LINEBACKER-
Yes, theyre are, healthy people to, not the obese kind.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

I'm not too big on individual celebrations, but I don't think Ovechkin has crossed that line. I don't mind the jumping into the glass and all that... I mean, if anything, that gets everyone else pumped. Now if he's going to dive all over the ice as a celebration, I think that crosses the line. But from what I've seen, I don't have a problem with 99% of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I'm a Don Cherry fan - in the regard that he's pure entertainment.
But I can't help but laugh at the hypocricy. He bashed a 16-year old Crosby for doing a hot-dog move in the Q, and now he rips A.O. for showing child-like emotion when he scores a goal (which I love)! He feels they're showboating.
Meanwhile, Don has no problems wearing a suit that looks like it was raped by my grandmothers couch, and thinks that's fine.
Cherry loves the limelight and is constantly hamming it up for the camera and media, but nobody else is allowed to be a showboat.

Everyone loves A.O. for the exuberance he brings to the game. I love it. He plays the game like a kid would on any backyard rink or pond - with pure unabashed joy. What's wrong with that? I'd love it if more players did the same.

EDIT: I'm also tired of him acting like all Canadian kids are honorable and 'play the game right'. What about Claude Lemieux or Pat Roy (BIGTIME SHOWBOAT).
Dale Hunter nearly killed Pierre Turgeon with one of the dirtiest hits ever and I don't recall Don having that much outrage. But that's different because Turgeon's French - another hated denomination of Cherry's.
Can you imagine if that was a European or French player doing that to an Yzerman or Sakic? He would have had a stroke.

I have also heard him laugh about Bobby Clarke's two hander in the '72 summit series. That could be the biggest cheap shot in the history of hockey games.
Again, if it had been Petrov taking Esposito out of the series with a slash, he would have put a hit out on his head.

And there are or have been plenty of classy European players in the league; Igor Larionov, Teemu Selanne, Nick Lidstrom.

I feel bad for Crosby. I honestly think he'd like to let loose like A.O. does. He loves the game but is expected to act 40-years old all the time.

Last edited by Money99; 03-08-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 17

In hindsight, i'm sure Crosby would love to tell Bettmen to shove his "face of the NHL" marketing ploy up his arse. He's been pretty gracious about all the added pressure and, unlike Alexander Daigle, he's excelled under it. It's probably a good idea he's lived with Mario's family these first years to keep him grounded and sane. I think the happiest i've ever seen him about a goal was that first goal in game 3 in the Finals last year.

And yeah, Cherry can be a major hypocrite. He'll laugh it up about thugs like Clarke but hold other Canadians like Steve Downie to account. He's kind of the Rush Limbaugh of hockey broadcasting.

Last edited by metallicatz; 03-08-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Meanwhile, Don has no problems wearing a suit that looks like it was raped by my grandmothers couch, and thinks that's fine.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 14

Cherry is a mindless drone. If it's not Canadian, it's evil to him. Who cares what he has to say?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ovechkin brings that excitement to the game that fans love to watch. I don't like him doing all that stuff after he scores a goal against the Flyers, but he loves the game and should be able to celebrate. Cherry is a racist against non-Canadien players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 24

Cherry is a senile old hypocrite just craving for attention. Alex celebrates his goals because he loves to score and loves to play the freakin game. I guess everyone should celebrate like Crosby...oh wait he does the same **** LOL.

Anyone who watches Ovechkin on a regular basis knows that what he does is nowhere near showboating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »