Home

The Official NHL 2012 Off-Season Thread

This is a discussion on The Official NHL 2012 Off-Season Thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #177
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: The Official NHL 2012 Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMilan1999
Ouch, that's a very risky deal. Even if he ends up putting up 60 points a year for the next few years, he'll be paid decently, it isn't a bargain either way.
Very risky? As opposed to Phaneuf? Bouwmeester? Wisniewski? Markov? Ehrhoff? Komisarek?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #178
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Real stars can produce more than 59 freaking points without having to have a #1 center. Phil Kessel can produce significantly better with Tyler Bozak as his center. If Nash is such a star, then he should be able to out produce Kessel.
The difference between the two, though, is that Kessel plays in the Eastern Conference, and more specifically the Northeast Division - arguably the weakest and most offensive minded division in all of hockey.
He's also got a bit more offensive support around him, plays for a team with an offensive style and up till mid season only had 1 leafs coach to play for.

Nash has to play a large chunk of his games against Detroit, Nashville, StLouis and Chicago - not exactly a bunch of teams that love to give up goals on a regular basis.

I also think Nash's heart hasn't been 100% into that team. Not the way it's been run.
How many top picks have they had and yet none of them have panned out?

The NHL is a funny league. If you're not picking in the top 2 or 3 positions, you might as well pick in the bottom 3.

Can you imagine of the Jackets lottery luck was better and they ended up with a combo of Crosby, Malkin and Staal? Or Toews and Kane?
If so, we're not talking about Nash leaving town or putting up paltry points.
We're talking about Columbus fighting for, or even winning Cups and the Penguins being excited about opening up the new facilities in Kansas City.

Last edited by Money99; 06-19-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #179
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Very risky? As opposed to Phaneuf? Bouwmeester? Wisniewski? Markov? Ehrhoff? Komisarek?
Yes, risky, in case he's a one season wonder.... Komi's contract sucks.... Erhoff's deal is only 4M per the next however many years, which is good... Markov's is good when healthy... Wisniewski's was a head scratcher.... Bouwmeester seemed good at the time..... Phaneuf put up 40 points this year and only has 2 years left.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #180
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
The difference between the two, though, is that Kessel plays in the Eastern Conference, and more specifically the Northeast Division - arguably the weakest and most offensive minded division in all of hockey.
He's also got a bit more offensive support around him, plays for a team with an offensive style and up till mid season only had 1 leafs coach to play for.

Nash has to play a large chunk of his games against Detroit, Nashville, StLouis and Chicago - not exactly a bunch of teams that love to give up goals on a regular basis.

I also think Nash's heart hasn't been 100% into that team. Not the way it's been run.
How many top picks have they had and yet none of them have panned out?

The NHL is a funny league. If you're not picking in the top 2 or 3 positions, you might as well pick in the bottom 3.

Can you imagine of the Jackets lottery luck was better and they ended up with a combo of Crosby, Malkin and Staal? Or Toews and Kane?
If so, we're not talking about Nash leaving town or putting up paltry points.
We're talking about Columbus fighting for, or even winning Cups and the Penguins being excited about opening up the new facilities in Kansas City.
Agreed, but Kessel isn't a 'star' like Nash supposedly is. Put Crosby in any division, he'll still dominate. That's a star.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #181
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Karlsson isn't a one hit wonder. He had 45 points and 13 goals on a horrible Ottawa team two years ago. As far as 6.5 M a year goes, I think it will be a bargain in 5 years when the cap is at 85 M. Campbell is being paid more because he hit FA, Big Buff is being paid less because he is bad in his own end. I dunno, this seems pretty good to me.

Nash probably mailed it in the past few years when his team was out of it. However, he's a 40 goal scorer and a Richard Trophy winner, you don't see too many of those these days. He's no Selke caliber player, but he's sure a lot better in his own zone than Phil Kessel is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #182
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

Sounds like Buffalo will be in on Bobby Ryan discussions. I wonder what it'll take to get him.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #183
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Karlsson isn't a one hit wonder. He had 45 points and 13 goals on a horrible Ottawa team two years ago. As far as 6.5 M a year goes, I think it will be a bargain in 5 years when the cap is at 85 M. Campbell is being paid more because he hit FA, Big Buff is being paid less because he is bad in his own end. I dunno, this seems pretty good to me.

Nash probably mailed it in the past few years when his team was out of it. However, he's a 40 goal scorer and a Richard Trophy winner, you don't see too many of those these days. He's no Selke caliber player, but he's sure a lot better in his own zone than Phil Kessel is.
I'm better than Kessel in my own zone and I can't skate. I'm a Leafs fan admiring this, by the way.
At least he's not Diagle. If he was mailing it in, and he can play better than he has been, then he could be a star.

Does anyone really care where I sent this from?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #184
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Agreed, but Kessel isn't a 'star' like Nash supposedly is. Put Crosby in any division, he'll still dominate. That's a star.
Kessel isn't a team player, he wasn't in Boston, he isn't in Toronto, he's a one dimensional shooter and not much else. Honestly I felt that Nash has been mailing it in pretty much the entire season the last couple years to begin with, though then again I don't watch many Columbus games so know for certain since they're so flat out terrible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »