Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #1721
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
So why do NHL broadcasts pretend like everyone who watches know everything about hockey?

Lines aren't introduced or explained, stats largely glanced over during a game except for shots, penalties are almost never explained. The only time this seems to happen is when the broadcasters are close to running out of things to talk about, then they'll rattle through the lines on the ice.

By comparison NFL broadcasts (who arguably overdo it, sure) seem so much more approachable for a new fan. You could argue NHL broadcasters have less time to go through that stuff, but it could be solved with effective broadcast graphics to illustrate line swaps (and the stats for those lines, etc).
To be fair, broadcasts that involve analysts like Pierre McGuire don't know the rules either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #1722

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
To be fair, broadcasts that involve analysts like Pierre McGuire don't know the rules either.
You mean Pierre "Leafs and Oilers lost because they used analytics" McGuire doesn't know anything?

Sucks he's likely coming back to TSN next year since TNT/ESPN don't want him and TSN guys have been poached by SN and other networks.

I dont really have an issue with not explaining the rules. You should assume 99.9% of people watching already know the rules. How annoying for regular watchers would it be if you hear "And that play is offside because the player entered the zone before the puck" every time? They tell you the whistle went because of an offside, but shouldn't need to explain what offside is all the time.

Maybe have a video online explaining them? I know when the rule changes happened in 2005, they had a video explaining every single change that happened. This was pre social media and before YouTube was big, yet the videos on NHL.com were still helpful. I think they used clips from the NHL 06 video game to explain it too. That would be a great promotional thing for NHL22 and tie in the ESPN/TNT deal by explaining hockey using video games and post it online. I'll admit, it took me some time to understand what icing was, and how PK teams can't ice it.

I watch the NFL and I'm still not familiar with everything since I'm not a hardcore fan or have ever played football, but I don't get upset at them not explaining the difference between something like a nickel defense or shotgun formation or anything like that.

Last edited by Majingir; 06-03-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #1723
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
So why do NHL broadcasts pretend like everyone who watches know everything about hockey?

Lines aren't introduced or explained, stats largely glanced over during a game except for shots, penalties are almost never explained. The only time this seems to happen is when the broadcasters are close to running out of things to talk about, then they'll rattle through the lines on the ice.

By comparison NFL broadcasts (who arguably overdo it, sure) seem so much more approachable for a new fan. You could argue NHL broadcasters have less time to go through that stuff, but it could be solved with effective broadcast graphics to illustrate line swaps (and the stats for those lines, etc).
Might as well, since viewers who do know almost everything about hockey can't stand 95% of what's being broadcast.

I want at least one of three things when watching/listening to an NHL broadcast: show/tell me something I didn't know (or I thought I knew but wasn't sure) about what I'm watching, on-ice strategy, etc.; good storytelling; or at least some genuine enthusiasm for the product. And for God's sake, don't jabber so much about nonsense while the play is going on.

Man, I hope either Sportsnet or one of the US networks poaches Ray Ferraro. I can't believe it's 2021, and I'm still hearing the same crap from the likes of Pierre McGuire, Craig Simpson, and Greg Millen. Horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 06-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #1724

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Might as well, since viewers who do know almost everything about hockey can't stand 95% of what's being broadcast.

I want at least one of three things when watching/listening to an NHL broadcast: show/tell me something I didn't know (or I thought I knew but wasn't sure) about what I'm watching, on-ice strategy, etc.; good storytelling; or at least some genuine enthusiasm for the product. And for God's sake, don't jabber so much about nonsense while the play is going on.

Man, I hope either Sportsnet or one of the US networks poaches Ray Ferraro. I can't believe it's 2021, and I'm still hearing the same crap from the likes of Pierre McGuire, Craig Simpson, and Greg Millen. Horrible.
I think Ferraro has already been signed to a deal, I forgot if its TNT or ESPN, but he's signed.

And an issue at least for games I watch is that networks emphasize being unbiased, but it leads to generic commentating and/or trolling.

That's one of the reasons I loved watching HNIC with Bob Cole. He'd be excited for everything. I never get why SN and TSN wants unbiased calls in a Leafs vs Blue Jackets game or something. 99.9% of your audience for that game are Leafs fans...

Last edited by Majingir; 06-03-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #1725
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm not sure I've ever really had an issue w/ the announcers themselves, I just am befuddled at why there isn't more of an effort to engage viewers and give them data in real time.

When a line swaps out, why can't we get a brief graphic that shows the line leaving and the stats for their shift/game, and the line entering (and their stats, or how much time they've been off the ice, etc).

Why aren't lines introduced at the start of the game, highlighting changes due to injury, etc? Instead at most we get some verbal clues about this, but we are left to just guess about how that impacts other lines or how it changes the strategy of that line (if there is any?)

While I understand things a little better now a few years into VGK's existence, I can only imagine now how people feel as they see people sit for 2 minutes for what seems like an accident or next to nothing (a slash, trip, etc), and then when a fight erupts half the time there's no punishment or you get a mix of both teams to the penalty box with no real explanation (this is one circumstance where the announcers spectacularly fail, as they're left to fill a bunch of time and still don't bother to distill it into something that makes sense to someone who doesn't understand)

Sure, you could google many of these things in real time - but now you've lost a viewer to their phone instead of keeping them engaged in your broadcast that you're conceding is inadequate.

Likely unpopular opinion, but the NHL needs a Romo. Love or hate how he calls a game, but he's explaining the nuts and bolts, why things are being done, what you can expect from any given play and why calls and movements are happening.

Is my line of thought really that unreasonable, or has this just been done this way forever and there's just appetite to change anything?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #1726
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
When a line swaps out, why can't we get a brief graphic that shows the line leaving and the stats for their shift/game, and the line entering (and their stats, or how much time they've been off the ice, etc).
Considering that lines swap out every 30 to 45 seconds of play, it would basically lead to the screen being cluttered at all times.

Quote:
Why aren't lines introduced at the start of the game, highlighting changes due to injury, etc? Instead at most we get some verbal clues about this, but we are left to just guess about how that impacts other lines or how it changes the strategy of that line (if there is any?)
Broadcasters are left guessing themselves as there are no official lines communicated before the game and lines are pretty fluid even during the game. All that is officially announced is who is dressed/scratched/injured and that is shown in most hockey broadcasts that I watch. It might be different with American broadcasts though.

I also seem to recall the Canadiens broadcasts up here generally showing the expected lines for the game during the pregame show. They base this info off of the lines that were seen in the last practice so it's not always accurate.

Last edited by mercalnd; 06-04-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #1727
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm pretty sure showing the lines and D pairings used to be standard practice on broadcasts - Canadian ones, anyway. However, I'm older than dirt and almost never watch the starts of games anymore, so I might be thinking of decades ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

Last edited by DrJones; 06-04-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #1728

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
I'm pretty sure using showing the lines and D pairings used to be standard practice on broadcasts - Canadian ones, anyway. However, I'm older than dirt and almost never watch the starts of games anymore, so I might be thinking of decades ago.
I still see the pairings before games on regional broadcasts but don't recall seeing them much on national broadcasts.

I do think it would be a tall task though to identify lines with every change. Hockey broadcasters don't have spotters to help them with this like other sports (mainly football) would.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »