Home

NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 AM   #81
Banned

PodSquad's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please

I played some online games after the patch, and it doesnt seem like much has changed. Interference is still the #1 way of playing defense, and hitting power is as stupid as ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 AM   #82
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

The flip dump is really silly. It seems like the puck is made of hollow plastic the way it stays up in the air. Next year I would like to see the puck physics convey a better sense of how heavy a puck actually is. I think the puck in all situations feels too light, and that includes in shooting. I'm not sure how to convey a palpable sense of how heavy a puck is on one's stick but I hope that the developers can.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #83
Rookie

nyr30's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
The flip dump is really silly. It seems like the puck is made of hollow plastic the way it stays up in the air. Next year I would like to see the puck physics convey a better sense of how heavy a puck actually is. I think the puck in all situations feels too light, and that includes in shooting. I'm not sure how to convey a palpable sense of how heavy a puck is on one's stick but I hope that the developers can.

Thats one thing about 2K9 the puck physics are unbelieveable and if EA could get it to that level it would do so much for this game.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #84
Pro

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper II
I like the game post patch on SS offline. I play 10 minute periods using default sliders, but put game speed 0, pass speed 0, fatigue 6, recovery 0. I also use auto aim, which allows me to deke better and set up for shots better.

I've played 6 or 7 games thus far, and they've all been really dynamic in their overall feel. Stats were good, except for hitting, which is just another one of EA's blunders.

What I like:
More loose pucks, which leads to more "somewhat battles".

The game seems less one sided, like I'm competing against a hockey team and not a set of controlled variables.

Shots miss the net and you get a lot of "ohh and ahh" situations.

I'm forced to not just dump the puck but move the puck quick.
Some times I just have to get rid of it, i.e. just dump it up the boards wherever whenever. The same seems to hold true for the cpu team too.

Hard dump is better too. I can fire it in cross ice and get good results.

What I don't like:
The cpu effectively uses the hold/tie up control (which is good) but I CAN'T without fighting most of the time. I want fighting in the game, but this is ridiculous.

I'm starting too see the "delay of game" penalty too much for the cpu and it's always when they're killing off a penalty. I have yet to take one.

I had no problems with the dump height as was, I think it's too high now and it's more of a jump ball. Players are gathering underneath and waiting. It should be something that varies.

CPU teammates don't do their jobs sometimes and just stand and watch....WTF I have to do everything?

Now that there are more penalties, the clock has to stay the same speed. Especially when you use 10 min periods. It messes too much with the stats. They need better AI logic for PP/PK. no one moves to get open, they just stand behind someone and look at you. I don't need more time, I just need better teammates. And of course the cpu will just flick it around 7 or 8 times and fire off some ******** shot.

Overall, good improvement. Yes, it's the best hockey game to date (blah blah blah), but it's still not a great "hockey" game IMO.
I'd agree with pretty much everything you've stated here except that "it's the best hockey game to date". These flaws really detract from the game and make it very frustrating and unenjoyable, imo.

The goalies are still brain dead and can't hold on to a puck. In addition, they still have to drop the puck to cover it and at least once per game, do something strange like flop unncessarily or leave the crease for no reason, resulting in a cheese goal for the cpu.

The teammate ai is still just as dumb as ever. Nobody wants to move or get open or even keep the front of the net clear. I have however noticed my teammates doing better on defense breaking up passes and shots, and actually picking up loose pucks. Other than that, they might as well be zombies on skates. If I don't take immediate control of them when they gain possession of the puck, they don't know what to do with it.

The physics in this game still boggle the mind. My first goal "post-patch" was scored when a rebound came rocketing off the goalies pad to one of my wingers. Now this was a left-handed winger and the puck bounced out behind him. But, somehow he was able to magically grab the puck from behind while still on the forehand and whip the puck into the shortside of the net in one motion. Very unrealistic and very unsatisfying way to score.

Penalties are fixed...........for the cpu. I got them to take plenty of penalties, but I only got one call. And as noted by others, I was able to get 5 on 3's pretty regularly.

Overall, can't say I'm too impressed with the patch. It hasn't saved offline dynasty play for me by any means. I've yet to try it out on BAP. Hopefully, that gameplay will be tolerable. Otherwise, it's another year of "fail" for EA hockey for me.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #85
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSquad
I played some online games after the patch, and it doesnt seem like much has changed. Interference is still the #1 way of playing defense, and hitting power is as stupid as ever.
I agree. That was the only thing I wanted fixed for online play and it wasn't. I had learned to deal with/prevent all the cheese goals with good positional play. My quick passing offense really struggles when my opponent can just check the player I am passing to before the puck is even close to him.

NOTE about line changes. When on the PP/PK be sure to pick your D-Line in addition to you O-line since picking PPF1 doesn't necessarily put PPD1 on the ice so you may end up with tired D pairs. I also noticed my players did not change on the fly as well as they used to. Several times I had to just take an offsides to get a stoppage in play so my players would change. I kept bringing up the line change and selecting my line(s) but they would not change. I noticed this most often after being on the PP/PK where I had my PPF1 on the ice and when it was over, I tried to put my OFF1 line out there but my PPF1 line wouldn't leave the ice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #86
Pro

[Icy]'s Arena

OVR: 8

I'm playing BAP most of the time and the main issues post patch are:

- Team mates are so stupid and insist on passing always back to me, like if i was the only allowed to shoot to goal. It's more frustrating when you are playing as playmaker or defender as you are not supposed to shoot a lot, but your team mates still pass it to you most of the time and do not shot.

- While the CPU team penalties are great now, my own team CPU players rarely commit one, so i end having 4 or 5 powerplays per game vs 1 or 2 allowed, and those penalties by my team are usually commited by me.

- The CPU on PK dumps it always out of the rink, so every powerplay becomes 5 vs 3.

With those 3 things fixed, BAP mode could be the most fun game i have played for a looong time. I'm still enjoying it a lot, but it could be better, specially with beter team mates AI.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #87
Banned

haze56's Arena

OVR: 4

I played a game on SS with the Senators against the Red Wings..It as 1-0 Wings in the 3rd when I beat their defense for a break away goal...But just a minute later they score on a cheap goal...Under a minute left I think I'm done, but Spezza gets a bit of room on the left and I wrist shot it by Osgood...In OT I took a risk and moved my defenseman up near the goal...Then I controlled Alfredson...Split a few defenders, passed it right to him and shot it in...It was a really exciting game because I usually don't tie games late in the game like I did.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #88
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I agree with what most are saying post patch.. I'm not taking many penalties, but the CPU is taking many and then I get a 5 on 3 as they flip dump it into the seats. In fact, the soft flip dump is wayyyyy over used now.

CPU goalies still seem to play head and shoulders above my goalie all the time. I'll play some more, but it's meh after some games post patch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »