Home

Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

This is a discussion on Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #553
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I am dying to comment on this above...but I don't think I can yet...on the record that is.

The expectation is that if FBG contributors are involved with EA, there are a certain set of circumstances that have to be met. Having a voice into the implementation of the ratings on actual gameplay is one of them. Simply changing the ratings is not sufficient. That is a "half-assed", as you put it, way to do it. I am not interested in "half-assing" these ratings into the game.

We all know that plugging and playing the ratings works for some people, and doesn't for others. To those who enjoyed the rosters we did this year, you are welcome. My team and I are glad you enjoy them. To those who didn't and are skeptical until they see more, just be patient. The onus is on EA. They have to see the benefit versus the cost. Yes, it may not be worth the cost to overhaul this game, but they are exploring it.

More on that at a later date.

Bottom line, some of the guys at EA ( Rex Dickson included ) have very good intentions for this game, but at the same time the implementation of your ratings would pretty much require a complete overhaul of the overall rating system. EA bases much of their advertising in months leading up to madden's release on player ratings. If they decided to go with your system, people ( mainly casual fans of the series ) would complain that their favorite player is rated too low, despite not actually taking a look at that player's individual attributes. If EA held back on some of that advertising and just the overall marketing the player ratings, there would be a better ( still not that good ) chance the ratings system would BENEFIT EA. The ratings certainly benefit us, but i'm not sure they would really benefit EA, especially pertaining to the aforementioned things written above.

Honestly, I believe EA relies TOO HEAVILY on appealing to the casual gamer. They know if they show some flashy new feature through TV or youtube advertisement, mainly MUT or now Draft Champions, it will attract more kinds of people to the game. Hell, look at what they did with some elements of the gauntlet and the goal-based system in CFM. That stuff is directed toward RPG gamers, not long-time sim gamers who know football inside and out. Like I said before, there are good intentions for this game and always have been, but implementation hasn't consistently been good with the madden series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gman 18; 12-29-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #554
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
Bottom line, some of the guys at EA ( Rex Dickson included ) have very good intentions for this game, but at the same time the implementation of your ratings would pretty much require a complete overhaul of the overall rating system. EA bases much of their advertising in months leading up to madden's release on player ratings. If they decided to go with your system, people ( mainly casual fans of the series ) would complain that their favorite player is rated too low, despite not actually taking a look at that player's individual attributes. If EA held back on some of that advertising, there would be a better ( still not that good ) chance the ratings system would BENEFIT EA. The ratings certainly benefit us, but i'm not sure they would really benefit EA, especially pertaining to the aforementioned things written above.

Honestly, I believe EA relies TOO HEAVILY on appealing to the casual gamer. They know if they show some flashy new feature through TV or youtube advertisement, mainly MUT or now Draft Champions, it will attract more kinds of people to the game. Hell, look at what they did with some elements of the gauntlet and the goal-based system in CFM. That stuff is directed toward RPG gamers, not long-time sim gamers who know football inside and out. Like I said before, there are good intentions for this game and always have been, but implementation hasn't consistently been good with the madden series.

Causal gamer sells. They need to rely on the casual gamer for business reasons.

It all comes down to dollar and cents and I think that was what you are alluding to.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #555
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

It all comes down to dollar and cents and I think that was what you are alluding to.

I think we can have both. Just keep MUT and draft champions as they are but, move CFM into a different sim gamer direction. That is the type of gamer that invests in CFM anyway. I doubt tournament players or causals ever play CFM.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #556
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
I think we can have both. Just keep MUT and draft champions as they are but, move CFM into a different sim gamer direction. That is the type of gamer that invests in CFM anyway. I doubt tournament players or causals ever play CFM.

We've been discussing something like this for the past decade in here and it still hasn't come to fruition.

I just don't agree that casuals don't play CFM's.

I'm sure EA has the telemetry to bear that out.

Look at how long a game like Head Coach lasted.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #557
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

Quote:

Well at the end of the day EA wants to make money, and they will do anything they can to generate more revenue. If they believe something like Dan's ratings system will help them in that area, then they most likely will request that he lets them ( EA ) use his ratings for madden 17. As of right now though, I feel like EA will just stick to their traditional approach of letting one guy do the ratings and use their current system, but things could change at anytime.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #558
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04

Me personally, I know a couple of casual gamers who play in online leagues, but yeah most just play online games and that's it. At this point, talking like CFM will suddenly become this deep, immersive, sim-oriented mode is like beating a dead horse. I'd love for EA to prove me wrong with madden 17, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #559
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
Me personally, I know a couple of casual gamers who play in online leagues, but yeah most just play online games and that's it. At this point, talking like CFM will suddenly become this deep, immersive, sim-oriented mode is like beating a dead horse. I'd love for EA to prove me wrong with madden 17, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

I wanted to clarify something on my end.

I also believe that casuals and sims can coexist, and game play has been leading down the sim path lately, so, I believe CFM will too.

I'm trying to convey that they need to simplify the way you get around and understand CFM once they start implementing the features sim people want in CFM.

Maybe tutorials would help in that area.

They will continue to market stuff like ODB catches for the casual market.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #560
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
We've been discussing something like this for the past decade in here and it still hasn't come to fruition.

I just don't agree that casuals don't play CFM's.

I'm sure EA has the telemetry to bear that out.

Look at how long a game like Head Coach lasted.

I would have to see some real data to back up the idea that casuals play CFM. I'm sure they dable but, I highly doubt they go more than one season. It's just too much of a time investment.

I would rather hope for more than settle for what it's always been.

I'm sure some do but, it's got to be a pretty small number.

Last edited by charter04; 12-29-2015 at 02:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »