Home

NBA 2K17 Trailer - "The Dream Lives On"

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Trailer - "The Dream Lives On" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #121
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
So we're being critical because MJ looks like a bad rendition of Jared Laredo's joker?

Or how they put MJ in the game and he had a black tongue?

Or how guys look like they're lugging up the court because the uniforms are too big?

It's like blatant things, we're not saying fingernails suck or whatever.

They are more than capable. Maybe those pics were just mock ups. Maybe they were early builds...but c'mon man

Ronnie 2k telling up they maxed out the graphics... because what? They gave Durant a neck this year?
Dude are you even reading my whole post or just stopping when you see something you want to comment on?

The definition of critical: expressing or involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work of literature, music, or art.

So yes some of you are more critical than some like me. I'm not saying that it's and issue or that it's a negative quality (if you read my whole post you would see I compliment people like you) just stating a fact. Some of you pick up on things like jersey collars and shoulders being off, shoes being inaccurate, a player's legs not being right, etc. Things like this go by me. Maybe I'm not as observant, maybe I just don't care enough (Truthfully a combo of both) but we just share different views on this stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #122
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Icon5 Re: NBA 2K17 Trailer - "The Dream Lives On"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Dude are you even reading my whole post or just stopping when you see something you want to comment on?

The definition of critical: expressing or involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work of literature, music, or art.

So yes some of you are more critical than some like me. I'm not saying that it's and issue or that it's a negative quality (if you read my whole post you would see I compliment people like you) just stating a fact. Some of you pick up on things like jersey collars and shoulders being off, shoes being inaccurate, a player's legs not being right, etc. Things like this go by me. Maybe I'm not as observant, maybe I just don't care enough (Truthfully a combo of both) but we just share different views on this stuff.

Yes I read it and I understand.

I just don't feel pointing out something obviously off is being critical, although you're right many people here are way critical of stuff.

Like... when the real complaints start rolling in, most of us you see now aren't involved in that. There is usually an influx of new posters and onliners who have all the complaints in the world.

This is just something we've talked about for a couple of years but the more the game improves the more it sticks out.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #123
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NBA 2K17 Trailer - "The Dream Lives On"

*Yawn*

Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #124
Rookie

ChrisBurnette68's Arena

OVR: 0
After the wait we've had in just thankful we got something! This looks great. You can tell they are still pushing the envelope graphically when they really don't need to. No sports game looks better. Great job 2k, I'm just hoping they've made the necessary tweaks to gameplay, customization, etc. but either way I'm buying. Only 37 days!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #125
Rookie

I have two complaints.

1. Jerseys are terrible. Too thick. Bulky. Look stuck on.

2. Not american enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #126
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
But my thinking is that there is some kind of issue between the players that are face scanned (modern players) and the players that aren't (mostly legends). The scanned players typically look great whether emoting or not. The legends tend to look awkward especially when emoting or showing facial movements.

I have no idea what type of technology 2k uses for the faces or how art is done for their faces but it's clear that there is something off when it comes to the legends (though there are some that look pretty accurate). Seeing as how the legends, particularly Jordan, looked better last gen I feel like there is some type of issue in translating these faces with the new tech.
It doesn't matter if the person is scanned or a 3D artist sits down to model a players face using a front and side view. In order to animate the character, the artist or computer program still needs to retopology or create a topology (or proper mesh/grid) for the model so that the model can be rigged for animation. The end result is to create "facial bone movers (armatures)" so that the animator can do his/her work. And this definitely does not require changes to the 3D model.

It honestly comes down to the graphic modeler on 2k's team when we're talking about legends and players they haven't scanned. It boils down to the talents execution. You don't need to fiddle with someone's face to make the animations work.

Did you watch the video in the above link. You don't need to deform someones natural emotionless face to get them to properly animate. The 3D modeler doesn't model a character around how the rigger/animator chooses to animate the character. The rigger/animator needs to work with the presented character model.

Plus, Clyde Drexler looks more like Clyde Drexler than Jordan does Jordan. Ask yourself this question, why do some legends resemble themselves more than others. If it's a matter of rigging their face for animation, then ALL legends should look like Jordan with big ears and completely off. It comes down to the talent of the 3D modeler and how he/she models the legends.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-10-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #127
MVP

OVR: 3

I honestly want 2k to show me Iverson for the hell of it....he looked so bad i refused to use him or allow anyone to pick that team lol. Im not even a crazy iverson fan, but it was disrespectful to play with that grey haired troll.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #128
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRuelz
Can somebody tell me why we're all so focused on the little things? This is a legitimate question, and I'm not trying to sound like an *** hole, but everybody's saying stuff like:
- The crowd isn't realistic
- The jerseys aren't the right shade of white
- they're necks aren't quite long enough

Why aren't we focusing on the content or the new gamemodes? *I know 2k hasn't made it easy because they really haven't told us anything* but it seems like people are more invested in the little things we won't even notice while playing, instead of the content that will keep people playing for another few months people choose to focus on what's more pleasing to the eye when they are look at replays or whatever.

Anyway, that trailer was pretty underwhelming.
The crowds (and the arena atmosphere in general) have been an issue for a few years now in 2K. The jerseys and body types have also been issues in the past.

Those things -- for some, not all, mind -- really help with the immersion. The dead crowds, in particular, really bother me; when I hit a clutch shot at the end and have the players on the floor celebrating, but have the crowd not reacting at all, that's a problem. It's a problem I can get past, but in this day and age we shouldn't have arenas playing generic crowd soundtracks that 2K captured in a booth 10 years ago.

The jerseys, similarly, should be more advanced then they are. There are multiple other AAA titles that get how to do clothing well and they display a far greater variety than 2K does in a basketball game.

The player body types are equally distracting -- Bubba Gump MJ the latest iteration of this particular issue.

It boils down to immersion, really. For some of us, these things really distract from the game. It's not as though we're asking the world of 2K at this point -- we're in 2016. They've been next-gen since 2K14. Some of these issues were bound to come up in transitioning to a new era of consoles, but we're firmly in the mid-life cycle of the new consoles and we're still seeing these same problems crop up.

Rather than focusing on adding new gamemodes, some of us would like to see 2K tighten their focus on the lingering issues surrounding the game. I'd rather they correct the flaws they currently have rather than adding in new content, thereby creating potential new flaws.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »