Home

Grand Slam Tennis 2 - 360 impressions

This is a discussion on Grand Slam Tennis 2 - 360 impressions within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Grand Slam Tennis 2 - 360 impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
If that was at 50 or 40 i wonder how itd look
Maybe that's something I can try. If I can maybe copy one player's numbers (Murray for example), make a clone of him but set the speed at 50 or 40, we could see in an actual game what the effects are.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Is anyone else having a lot of trouble hitting passing shots in superstar? I've tried going for the lines and trying flat/top/slice spins--not effective. Lobs are somewhat effective though.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
MVP

Gonna try some of those created player speed tests. Who cares if you have to set it at 20 to be realistic? If it gets a smoother game flow, then we can create all the players we want with real player headshots.
I figure if you have enough real players to at least start a tournament from the 4th round, that's good enough. That's 32 players, 16 men, 16 women.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Picked this game up based off a hunch.

And I was right on that hunch.

believable gameplay IS to be had here and is better than Top Spin 4.

Just takes some finagling...

First off.

Playing with the already pre set plays is NOT the way to go.

What you do is this:

Create a player.

Set their Speed and FIT attribute globally( meaning every player you create) at:

Speed - 40
Fit - 40

It makes player movement around the court and shots look more realistic and controlled.

I'm still testing this out but so far this is early test phase.

The fact that you can import game face into this emans we can literally make anyone we want. so classic and current players will totally be able to blow away what EAsports has as a standard. the only area is player height which can not be edited which is a mjaor ommittance.

On the game as a whole i feel this game is not unlike NHL 07 when it first made its appearance on 360. it gave the basics and had you playing hockey.

This is the same things here.

This game gives you the basics and lets you play tennis.

in that regard it looks better than any othe recreation of the sport.

solid 7 game with edits?

thats upped to like 8.5 in my opinion because with all 4 major grand slam event being represented we have good realistic tennis envirnments happening which havent happened before and admittedly frustrated me in the top spin games
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
MVP

Totally agreed, was gonna run some tests today. Now how do we go about standardizing players for their characteristics? I think you set a "top" set of numbers and go from there. Since 100 is no longer the MAX, you need to establish a new max, that's all. Cause I would imagine if the speed is gonna go down, other relative numbers will have to come down too (reaction time based numbers) to make the characters flow better.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
Totally agreed, was gonna run some tests today. Now how do we go about standardizing players for their characteristics? I think you set a "top" set of numbers and go from there. Since 100 is no longer the MAX, you need to establish a new max, that's all. Cause I would imagine if the speed is gonna go down, other relative numbers will have to come down too (reaction time based numbers) to make the characters flow better.

fitness and speed are very interesting

Up the speed lower the fitness you get herky jerky animations
Lower the speed Up the fitness you get less herky jerkey animations

the latter when lowering the top speed the runing animations are very stand upish BUT the hitting s fluid.

right Now for example im trying out everything.

AND

speed at 20
fitness at 70

gets you to almost every ball but looks good doing it but the 20 speed rating kind of makes you run upright.

Federer's animations look decent. And his speed and fitness are at 74/78.

a 4 point disparity.

Mking a 5 point disparity probably good between that.

Howver this game has very little running animations. its almost start and stop. So you want it to get to a medium where it just always looks good like this:

Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Okay

I think i found a brilliant BASE rating to start from.

This is set globally and is based off serve and volley only.

Disclaimer: This might seem odd, but player animations needed to be TONED down. these settings work and will be followed with other sets soon for othe types of gameplay styles (serve and volley etc)

This basically a rating for a standard top 20 player as right now.

Power - 54
Speed -54
Net Play - 54
Accuracy - 58
Serve - 58
FIT - 58

You'll see that i mimicked the 4 point disparity that was in Federers speed/finess setting and based that around the whole of the gameplay style attributes where the first 3 out of the sick have the lower and the last 3 have the higher of the disparity.

animations look SOLID now they only thing is how does this now translates between styles AND THEN players who are in the top 15,Top 10 etc.

Curious to experiment now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Tomba I admire your spirit to make EAs games more sim(Still having a decent time with your Madden12 Rosters with Custom Sliders)

I spent months upon months editing ratings/tendencies/sliders to make my Fight Night Champion Roster somewhat believable and fun to fght against

I hope Im wrong about this, but GST looks like theres less tools then even FNC to work with...I think this game is going to need at least 1 good patch to make it somewhat playable for the sim minded guys who care about the fundamentals of the sport

Any success in getting the 1st Serve% down for both the User and CPU???

Oh and I wish I had a way to get my hands that Tennis Elbow game with those mods....I just bought TopSpin 4 last week and am enjoying it, but I love all the authentic siginature strokes/grunting in TE 2011

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 02-15-2012 at 04:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »