Home
Madden 09 News Post

EA Sports has posted another Madden 09 producer blog called Play Call Changes.

Quote:
"Play Call is arguably the most important screen in the game. You spend the majority of your time on this screen and it is the epicenter of all the important decisions that are made in game. We set out this year with a goal of completely revolutionizing the Play Call screen with a new level of presentation and most importantly interaction."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Fu Man Ching @ 05/07/08 03:13 AM
**** the play call screen. I spend more time playing the game. It really sucks that they have to dumb this game down more than it already is. The screen looks good but lets focus more time and thought else where. Like Play off atmosphere and coverage. Better voice overs. That is what we want.

# 2 BezO @ 05/07/08 03:56 AM
Sweet! I can watch the replay with my right eye and the plays with my left.

Another tournament feature. I guess tournament players complained about opponents wasting time watching replays so EA mushed them together with the play calling screen.

I guess EA would categorize this as presentation. The person spending time thinking this up could've used that brain power on something FOOTBALL related... a coin flip, playoff / superbowl entrances, sideline atmosphere, chain gang, refs, pre-game / halftime / post-game show, replays from other season games in franchise mode, better injury cut scene... I could write a page-long list of FOOTBALL related presentation they could've added. But we get replays & the play call screen at the same time.

EA, the interface is not the problem. Folks want more FOOTBALL in their football video games.

# 3 callmetaternuts @ 05/07/08 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdaniel1
EA Sports has posted another Madden 09 producer blog called Play Call Changes.
I think its a good change, at least from what i see so far. Hope the can continue these good innovations

# 4 boomhauertjs @ 05/07/08 08:32 AM
Like what I'm seeing so far...

# 5 goheat @ 05/07/08 08:41 AM
Let's see how the Wii screens look/function....

# 6 roadman @ 05/07/08 09:20 AM

# 7 BezO @ 05/07/08 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4reak
jeez there just featuring one item. Calm down guys guys. BEzo you need to chill out on the presentation rant when we have not seen how they have implemented the NFL Network theme yet.
And I think it's a waste of time. Pardon me for not being enthused. But you need to chill out telling folks what they need to do. When they release info that impresses me, I'll be happy. When they release info I don't appreciate, I'm going to state my opinion on that too. Don't expect me to read info & watch videos in silence until I get more info or play the game. The info is posted for us to comment on.

# 8 matthewk @ 05/07/08 09:42 AM
I've been using this interface since 2004 in NFL 2k5.

# 9 coogrfan @ 05/07/08 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Sweet! I can watch the replay with my right eye and the plays with my left.

Another tournament feature. I guess tournament players complained about opponents wasting time watching replays so EA mushed them together with the play calling screen.

I guess EA would categorize this as presentation. The person spending time thinking this up could've used that brain power on something FOOTBALL related... a coin flip, playoff / superbowl entrances, sideline atmosphere, chain gang, refs, pre-game / halftime / post-game show, replays from other season games in franchise mode, better injury cut scene... I could write a page-long list of FOOTBALL related presentation they could've added. But we get replays & the play call screen at the same time.

EA, the interface is not the problem. Folks want more FOOTBALL in their football video games.
Good God. Is there anything Madden-related you won't complain about?

If you had bothered to read the article, you would have seen that there is far more to this than just instant replays. The user will have instant access to stats, formation subs, and coaches challenges. In addition there will now be three different play calling methods available that will allow newbs to enjoy a simplified play calling system without taking away the options longtime vets have come to expect. What's not to like?

# 10 Beardown @ 05/07/08 10:05 AM
I think I will really enjoy this innovation. I am a stat junkie but I would always wait for halftime to check my stats because I did not want to have to pause the game and run through the menus, now I will be able to check my stats throughout the game. The same goes for replays. I love to watch replays but would rarely do so because I would have to pause the game and go into other menus. I look forward to hearing about more of the changes for this year.

# 11 ewto16 @ 05/07/08 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4reak
jeez there just featuring one item. Calm down guys guys. BEzo you need to chill out on the presentation rant when we have not seen how they have implemented the NFL Network theme yet.
HAHAHAHAHA....NFL Network integration. If it is anything like previous Madden's it will be next to nothing. They have had the ESPN license for almost 5 years. What have you seen of that yet?

# 12 ewto16 @ 05/07/08 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

If you had bothered to read the article, you would have seen that there is far more to this than just instant replays. The user will have instant access to stats, formation subs, and coaches challenges. In addition there will now be three different play calling methods available that will allow newbs to enjoy a simplified play calling system without taking away the options longtime vets have come to expect. What's not to like?
Some of those features are nice, I agree, but some of them should have been included already. I could do them on last-gen. Why has it taken so long to get them on next-gen? Being able to execute formation subs from the playcall screen isn't exactly revoultionary when I could do it on the PS2. Neither is being able to call plays with more than one button.

# 13 roadman @ 05/07/08 10:59 AM
Maybe some companies bit off more than they could chew going from CG to NG.

I would think the other game fans would be happy about this feature instead of going back and digging up the past.

Live for now and the future, not the past. There isn't anything anyone can do to change the past.

# 14 Harlemal @ 05/07/08 11:03 AM
Did yall even read the article. and i dont give a F^Ck about NFL2k. yall sh1t is gettin played out. its cool to want stuff fixed or change it but yall gettin out of hand wit it.

# 15 JBH3 @ 05/07/08 11:04 AM
Like most I believe that there are A LOT of other things which need to be fixed, or needs to be implemented as it was in last-gen.

I like the play-call screen though for what it does...Yes, I would pause the game a lot to look/activate replays, stats, subs, etc.

Having the ability to sub from this screen is a plus, and perhaps gives the game that feel of subbing in a DE to rush the edge on a 3rd down passing down in the 3-4 or bringing a fresh DT/LB etc.

Formation subs are a big plus too as you can actually once again take advantage of having depth on your roster.

In no way am I getting caught up w/ the blogs and EA hype machine to be in the Madden @ Midnight line for the 3rd yr in a row, but at some point I hope to at least get a pre-played copy of this game and play Madden over the 08 season.

# 16 BezO @ 05/07/08 11:13 AM
Quote:
Yes. When they announce those things are in the game, I'll let you know.

Quote:
If you had bothered to read the article, you would have seen that there is far more to this than just instant replays. The user will have instant access to stats, formation subs, and coaches challenges.
I read the article and I could care less about instant access to stats, formation subs & challenges... at least compared to the things I listed. But thanks.

Quote:
In addition there will now be three different play calling methods available that will allow newbs to enjoy a simplified play calling system without taking away the options longtime vets have come to expect.
I'm not a newb, and I don't care about a simplified play calling system.

Quote:
What's not to like?
I don't dislike what they've done. I don't like that they did it instead of what I was hoping for. Is that OK with you?

# 17 coogrfan @ 05/07/08 12:01 PM
Quote:
I read the article and I could care less about instant access to stats, formation subs & challenges... at least compared to the things I listed. But thanks.
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking there are very few Madden users other than you who would trade an improved and streamlined user interface for a coin flip or chain gangs.

Quote:
I don't dislike what they've done. I don't like that they did it instead of what I was hoping for. Is that OK with you?
Knock yourself out. I just don't get is how you came to the conclusion that this was an either/or situation in the first place.

# 18 ManiacMatt1782 @ 05/07/08 12:28 PM
can't get to ea's site, did they go back to the 3 button method. bluffing your play playing on the same screen was way more complicated than it needed to be.

# 19 coogrfan @ 05/07/08 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
can't get to ea's site, did they go back to the 3 button method. bluffing your play playing on the same screen was way more complicated than it needed to be.
Quote:
Bluff Mode is back by popular demand! No more having to move around in order to hide your play- just hold down LT and a button icon will show up for each play.

# 20 Pared @ 05/07/08 12:42 PM
Whoa, Bezo... easy there. You're going to pop a nut.

It's just one blog focusing on one thing. That's all. I don't understand why guys would read an article on something like "New franchise coverage" then go into a rant about the presentation. The two don't go hand in hand.

As for the actual content... I like the graphics and I like what they're doing... but the replays and all of this isn't what I would call "innovative." They were doing this in Madden current gen with the auto-replays and such... and 2k5 had this similar play-calling system happening way back when.

I think a lot of guys don't realize sometimes what is really happening here. People say that EA is clueless to the 2k football fan base when little by little they're slowly incorporating a lot of things from 2k5. It's pretty evident, IMO.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.