Home
News Post

Pasta Padre has posted some information on NCAA Football 09 patch #2.

Quote:
"The roster editing patch is currently in certification at Microsoft and Sony. There is no specific day the patch will be approved and pushed out but it should not be too long now, possibly by the end of next week.

The second patch, which is intended to improve different gameplay elements, is still in the evaluation period. Right now a reasonable expectation on when this patch will arrive is September. So far it will include fixes to sliders, improvements to kick/punt return coverage, and various tuning to areas such as zone coverages, man vs RBs, and strafe catching. There will be more included in the patch but as of now those are the things that are confirmed."

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 ThaPeeplz @ 07/26/08 05:16 AM
I guess everyone doesnt get in depth with the Madden/NCAA combo like myself huh? I'm referring to posts talking about trading NCAA in when Madden comes out. Why? You guys dont do the draft classes from NCAA to Madden every season?

# 62 The Chef @ 07/26/08 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaPeeplz
I guess everyone doesnt get in depth with the Madden/NCAA combo like myself huh? I'm referring to posts talking about trading NCAA in when Madden comes out. Why? You guys dont do the draft classes from NCAA to Madden every season?
I do but those same draft classes will be uploaded to OS at some point anyways, or I can simulate a bunch of seasons and save the recruiting classes, its not like you have to keep the game to take advantage of the draft classes in Madden.

# 63 frankplastictrees @ 07/26/08 07:27 AM
Too bad I'll have traded the game off. Maybe if the patch does work though, I might pick it up again sometime in the future.

# 64 muggins @ 07/26/08 09:38 AM
September? Wow. They really don't get it, do they?

# 65 callmetaternuts @ 07/26/08 09:55 AM
Hey, Sept is better than December. While id rather have it now, i can live with September if my other option is after football season, or wait till next year.

Im still crossing my finger on the pass rush issue, and to a lesser degree the CPU playcalling and quicksnap. Pass rush has been on the list since community day, so its gotten the attention, but is it receiving the proper treatment.

# 66 RumbleCard @ 07/26/08 10:18 AM
Wouldn't fixing the slider issue help considerably with the pass rush?

Also note: If you are gauging the effectiveness of the pass rush by the total of sacks you see at the end of the game you're being misled.....once a QB decides to run with the ball or leaves the pocket the stat only shows up as a tackle for a loss when it should have been a sack. This has led to less sacks being counted.

I've been in plenty of games where I've sacked the QB 5 times but its only shown up as 2 or 1 because of this minor glitch.

# 67 Skyboxer @ 07/26/08 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba321
It's pretty simple no one will wait til sept for a patch at this point. i think we're all hoping that madden IS this years football game
I'll be waiting, as well as most people, who prefer NCAA over NFL.
I'm getting Madden but I'll always prefer NCAA over Madden.

# 68 Vince @ 07/26/08 10:54 AM
im just happy they are doing something...

sadly, september becomes NHL 09 time for me.

# 69 roadman @ 07/26/08 11:21 AM
Quote:
It's pretty simple no one will wait til sept for a patch at this point. i think we're all hoping that madden IS this years football game
We waited till November or December last year. If the patch comes out in September, I would think a lot of people would be happier than last year.

# 70 ASB37 @ 07/26/08 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
We waited till November or December last year. If the patch comes out in September, I would think a lot of people would be happier than last year.
No i think alot of people would be happy, myself included, if this game worked correctly on July 15. Not September....if this game wasn't going to be funcitonal till September then take a few extra months and release it then.

# 71 Pared @ 07/26/08 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint75
Something else that won't be patched and really hurts the game is the ineffective running by the CPU QBs. If I play against Tebow or Pat White, they should run amok. Instead, they dance around behind the line and never tuck the ball in take off. They are way too hesitant. It looks like they are simply looking for someone to pitch to the whole time. This makes playing against teams that use the spread completely unrealistic. And as I said, this ain't gonna be fixed in the patch. Complete bummer. Ruins any sense of realism when you play against these teams.
...?

I played a game last night and Tebow ran all over me. This was on AA. I was actually impressed that the CPU called a few QB Draws and he took off when there was pressure.

I am playing with sliders, however.

# 72 rhombic21 @ 07/26/08 12:21 PM
I'm telling you guys, the biggest problems with this game (for online play) are not related to the pass rush, at least not directly.

The biggest problems for online play are:

1) Faulty Zones. Man defense is now realistic so you can't sit in cover 0 blitzes all day and never get burned, but zone defenses are broken, which creates serious problems.

2) Ability of QBs to throw from way behind the LOS. If people were forced to sit in the pocket more (or at least to not drop back 15+ yards), you'd get a lot more sacks and a lot more pressure.

3) Way too accurate QBs. QBs can put the ball perfectly on the money 15+ yards downfield, with a defender directly in their face. Not just elite QBs (although they really shouldn't even be able to do it consistently either), but even QBs with mediocre throwing power.

4) Kick and Punt Returns skew things further to the offensive side by almost always giving people a short field to work with. If you start at the 35 or 40 everytime, you're going to score at least a FG almost everytime -- even in real life.

5) FGs can be kicked from too far out. Again, further skews things when the offense can consistently hit 50+ yard FGs.

The biggest thing that's problematic on the pass rush is the lack of contain logic by outside rushers (DEs or edge blitzers), which makes it way too easy to scramble out to a side and buy extra time.

I can get pass pressure based on the QB being forced to sit in the pocket, which is why I'm thinking that a lot of people who play offline are saying they can get pressure on the QB while people who play online can't. The QB doesn't drop 15 or 20 yards back behind the LOS.

I'm telling you guys, if they institute the thing they have on Madden, where pass icons disappear if you drop further than 15 yards back and the pass suffers significant accuracy, and they fix the zone coverages and the kickoff/punt returns, the game would improve significantly in terms of defensive/offensive balance.

# 73 countryboy @ 07/26/08 12:34 PM

The patch could've been released a week after the game came out and people would've still been unhappy.

# 74 AuburnAlumni @ 07/26/08 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
I'm telling you guys, the biggest problems with this game (for online play) are not related to the pass rush, at least not directly.

The biggest problems for online play are:

1) Faulty Zones. Man defense is now realistic so you can't sit in cover 0 blitzes all day and never get burned, but zone defenses are broken, which creates serious problems.

2) Ability of QBs to throw from way behind the LOS. If people were forced to sit in the pocket more (or at least to not drop back 15+ yards), you'd get a lot more sacks and a lot more pressure.

3) Way too accurate QBs. QBs can put the ball perfectly on the money 15+ yards downfield, with a defender directly in their face. Not just elite QBs (although they really shouldn't even be able to do it consistently either), but even QBs with mediocre throwing power.

4) Kick and Punt Returns skew things further to the offensive side by almost always giving people a short field to work with. If you start at the 35 or 40 everytime, you're going to score at least a FG almost everytime -- even in real life.

5) FGs can be kicked from too far out. Again, further skews things when the offense can consistently hit 50+ yard FGs.

The biggest thing that's problematic on the pass rush is the lack of contain logic by outside rushers (DEs or edge blitzers), which makes it way too easy to scramble out to a side and buy extra time.

I can get pass pressure based on the QB being forced to sit in the pocket, which is why I'm thinking that a lot of people who play offline are saying they can get pressure on the QB while people who play online can't. The QB doesn't drop 15 or 20 yards back behind the LOS.

I'm telling you guys, if they institute the thing they have on Madden, where pass icons disappear if you drop further than 15 yards back and the pass suffers significant accuracy, and they fix the zone coverages and the kickoff/punt returns, the game would improve significantly in terms of defensive/offensive balance.
I agree with some of your points Rhombic.

But when I'm a 95 rated DT and I can't get ANY "push" up the middle against 70 rated O linemen....

When I see play after play of half of my defensive line getting that stupid "pancake/chop block" animation put on them and they all end up on the ground....

That is a major issue.

How excited can I really be recruiting "4 and 5 star" Defensive Linemen (or O linemen for that matter) when every OL/DL interaction plays exaaaaaaactly the saaaaaame.

The ratings don't mean a thing on the line of scrimmage.

And if I see one more "multi-auto-super-block-pancake" move that puts all 4 of my downlinemen on their butts....I'm going to drive to Orlando, kidnap the gameplay engineers, tape their eyelids open ala A Clockwork Orange, and force them to watch highlights of Glenn Dorsey, Jevon Kearse, Tracy Rocker, Curry and Copeland from '92 Bama, the Nole and Cane Defenses of the 90s, and the 2005 Iron Bowl (i.e. the "Honk if you Sacked Brodie" game).

Maybe then they'll get a freaking clue about what great defensive lines can do in a football game.

# 75 rhombic21 @ 07/26/08 12:52 PM
Auburn, what I'm telling you though is that I DO get pressure with my DTs and DEs, particularly when I make some adjustments to stock plays to create 1-1 situations and pass commit, except people can just run around and throw from way back, and be extremely accurate, which combined with the bad zone defenses that leave WRs wide open, means that they aren't punished for it.

# 76 Seahawk76 @ 07/26/08 12:53 PM
Quote:
Why do we think that Madden won't also ship with numerous bugs and AI flaws? The quality control at Tiburon has been awful for years.

# 77 AuburnAlumni @ 07/26/08 12:59 PM
Quote:
Auburn, what I'm telling you though is that I DO get pressure with my DTs and DEs, particularly when I make some adjustments to stock plays to create 1-1 situations and pass commit, except people can just run around and throw from way back, and be extremely accurate, which combined with the bad zone defenses that leave WRs wide open, means that they aren't punished for it.
Well then you are just way better than me on the line. Because I get stonewalled or pancaked 90% of the time.

The OL/DL is so far skewed towards the O line it's laughable. That's why I've been able to use Scrub teams and either beat or stay within a score of guys like OU, UT, and Nebraska. Because I have aaaaaaaalllll day to throw.

But I agree with your points as well...hell..it's all broken.

# 78 rhombic21 @ 07/26/08 01:00 PM
I'm not even manually rushing with them. They get in there several times a game, the problem is that the QB can just get rid of the ball, or continue to drop back, before they get to him.

# 79 AuburnAlumni @ 07/26/08 01:03 PM
Quote:
I'm not even manually rushing with them. They get in there several times a game, the problem is that the QB can just get rid of the ball, or continue to drop back, before they get to him.
One reason is probably because OU has an all 90 rated D line.

Buuuuuuuuut......

I've played against OU. Kodiak used OU and I used Troy. And my O line was stonewalling him the whole game. I beat him by two touchdowns.

So either you are a lot better than many of us in defensive scheming, or I just have a bad copy. Because I really am getting sick of every D line playing exactly like the other 119 teams in Div 1, regardless of ratings. That's my view.

# 80 muggins @ 07/26/08 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

The patch could've been released a week after the game came out and people would've still been unhappy.
Well obviously some people would still be unhappy, but most wouldn't be. September? Yeah, that is just really, really pathetic.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.