Home
Madden 09 News Post

The official Madden NFL 09 demo has been released. Please post your impressions here.

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Von Dozier @ 07/31/08 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DaVe-
My impressions so far

They also still have eyes behind their heads...
Wonders why EA made the WR's able to turn their heads and look at the ball and not the DB's..???
Actually, I think this is accurate. You'll see 65% or more of the time in real football, DBs play the man with their eyes glued to them, not the ball.

# 102 SageInfinite @ 07/31/08 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
IMO? No. Now, I'm not a NASCAR die-hard. I haven't bought a NASCAR game since NASCAR Thunder 2002. I wanted to buy last year's version, but the demo was so bad and the reviews were horrible that I decided not to. The demo this year was very strong, INCREDIBLY deep. Impressions of the game from folks who bought it day one are what prompted me to buy it, and I wasn't disappointed at all.

One of the regulars in the NASCAR forums, who really knows his stuff, wrote a review and graded it at 8.5. It really is a good game. Not perfect, but the demo did indeed reflect the quality of the actual game.
Well that's good to hear. I see why you feel the way you do about the Madden demo.

# 103 -DaVe- @ 07/31/08 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
Actually, I think this is accurate. You'll see 65% or more of the time in real football, DBs play the man with their eyes glued to them, not the ball.
How is this accurate ? What DB in real life is able to make a play on the ball without even looking at the ball once..??!!???

# 104 cdon2k @ 07/31/08 12:53 PM
found a way to play defense.... sorta... get the 1st down, then do a running play and run back and get a safety....

you will then punt and you can practice some of your big hits lol....

# 105 jddcp @ 07/31/08 12:53 PM
I have to agree with Von Dozier, Dave.

As a DB, in Man 2 Man, you are taught to cover the man NOT the ball. You react to the WR. So when he jumps, you jump and when he looks up, you look up.

Consequently, a lot of WR are taught to wait until the last minute to reach up for the ball or look up as they know the DB is reacting to the WR.

Zone is something different. In Zone the DB is backpedaling and the WR is in front of them, so they play the ball. In Man, the DBs back is to the ball (chasing the WR) so they play the man.

# 106 StormJH1 @ 07/31/08 01:00 PM
Good, sounds like the demo impressions are positive. Can't wait to try it.

People keep saying "Well, the NCAA demo was good and look what happened," but they're ignoring the fact that 80% of the complaints about NCAA have to do with two features (roster share and online dynasty) that were not on display in the demo. So, in that respect, the NCAA demo was a pretty good reflection of the core gameplay, which is pretty good overall in NCAA. They still have issues that need patching (punt coverage, pass rush, etc), and some problems that have been in many past EA games (rocket catching and Robo-QB), but those problems are not unique to '09, and shouldn't be surprising to most purchasers. There's people complaining about how many dropped passes are in the Madden demo, but on the other hand, people that dropped passes weren't happening often enough in the past, so you can't make everyone happy.

# 107 countryboy @ 07/31/08 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DaVe-
How is this accurate ? What DB in real life is able to make a play on the ball without even looking at the ball once..??!!???
Why is this even being discussed? Ian told us that the DB's heads didn't turn because with the technology they had it looked akward. I can't believe this is being brought up as if its a shocker. We were told that it would be this way and explained why it would be this way.

I just don't get it.

# 108 SageInfinite @ 07/31/08 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Why is this even being discussed? Ian told us that the DB's heads didn't turn because with the technology they had it looked akward. I can't believe this is being brought up as if its a shocker. We were told that it would be this way and explained why it would be this way.

I just don't get it.
Like I said before cb, everyone doesn't get a chance to read everything

# 109 mr_president @ 07/31/08 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

I just don't get it.
because that doest make up for when a DB is covering a deep route with his back turned to the play, and magically knows when the pass is thrown for a short route (b4 it's completed) and makes it back to cover it.(psychic db's an age old madden problem )

# 110 Von Dozier @ 07/31/08 01:20 PM
Wow. As a Madden "Meh"er for the past 5 years, I have to say, this game is amazing.

It simply doesn't feel much like Madden anymore. It's hard to describe, but this truly feels like next-gen football, finally. I cannot wait for the full version. I'm a bit stunned.

# 111 RoyalBoyle78 @ 07/31/08 01:21 PM
where's the PS3 demo, I just checked and it's not up.

# 112 SageInfinite @ 07/31/08 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
where's the PS3 demo, I just checked and it's not up.
I heard it will be up later.

# 113 countryboy @ 07/31/08 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
because that doest make up for when a DB is covering a deep route with his back turned to the play, and magically knows when the pass is thrown for a short route (b4 it's completed) and makes it back to cover it.(psychic db's an age old madden problem )
I didn't say it did.

I am saying, I don't understand why people are surprised this happens when the developer of the game told us it was going to.

# 114 fistofrage @ 07/31/08 01:24 PM
Demos tell you nothing. How can we be guaranteed that sliders and penalties work in such a short demo. Rent this game first people. And try to avoid getting caught up in the hype machine. Stay away from any threads that say "This feature is SICK!"

I just wish EA would offer me the option to download the entire game for 5 days for $5 and if I wanted to purchase the entire game, I would just give them the remaining $55.

# 115 cdon2k @ 07/31/08 01:25 PM
God this demo is amazing... Graphics are sweet and the gameplay is really good. I have to give special props to Ian and the team for balancing the breakout system almost perfectly. I am so pumped for this game!!! This demo will get some heavy rotation as this game is awesome.

That being said, am I the only one who is having trouble breaking tackles with Jacobs? I think his two major strong points are speed (for his size) and trucking. I cant seem to get many stiff arms off, especially a stiff arm breakout. Any one know what I should do to break tackles with this guy? I didn't think spinning was his thing, but I could be wrong....

# 116 ak1knight @ 07/31/08 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
God this demo is amazing... Graphics are sweet and the gameplay is really good. I have to give special props to Ian and the team for balancing the breakout system almost perfectly. I am so pumped for this game!!! This demo will get some heavy rotation as this game is awesome.

That being said, am I the only one who is having trouble breaking tackles with Jacobs? I think his two major strong points are speed (for his size) and trucking. I cant seem to get many stiff arms off, especially a stiff arm breakout. Any one know what I should do to break tackles with this guy? I didn't think spinning was his thing, but I could be wrong....
Highlight stick my friend

# 117 SoxFan01605 @ 07/31/08 01:32 PM
A couple of things. I noticed a couple people mentioned DB's making superhuman plays and all of them running towards where the ball was thrown. I haven't seen that yet. I'm wondering if the IQ plays a part in that or not on the demo, because thus far passing has been pleasantly suprising. You can't throw acuately with any kind of consistency on the move, deep balls are done much better (including better QB animation-wind up- and WR catching in stride). Also, as for the DB with "eyes in the back of their head," as CB already stated this was a known issue. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's mainly an animation issue and NOT a gameplay one, as the DB's have seemed to make realistic plays on the ball thus far for me.

# 118 Tomba @ 07/31/08 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Nice! The QB winds up for the deep ball? That's great to hear. I cannot stand the way the ball rockets out of the forearm of the QB on a deep ball in NCAA. It's just one of my pet peeves.
yeah i noticed the animations and its very cool to see

# 119 Bootzilla @ 07/31/08 01:32 PM
Sorry if this has been asked but, is the demo playing to your Madden IQ level or is it playing at Rookie or Pro?

# 120 SoxFan01605 @ 07/31/08 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k

You should try to press some of the face buttons like "A" and "B." they provide you with some really nice break tackle animations. (I'm loving powering out of tackles...feels really well done)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.