Home
News Post

The following websites has posted NHL 09 updates:
  • PSX Extreme: NHL 09 Hands-On (PS3)

Quote:
    "First off, exploits such as holding the hockey stick out for an infinite amount of time have been removed. Extending the stick has now been limited to just a few seconds. One timers have received further attention, as their tendency to succeed decreased even more over last year's game."
  • Teamxbox: NHL 09 Hockey League Trailer (360)

Quote:
    "Jump into the EA SPORTS Hockey League and become part of the first console sports MMO. Take your created player online and join a team with friends, or scout for players. Featuring 6 vs. 6 online team play, the ability to level up your player, tournament brackets, and awards at the end of every season - you can become the first great name in videogame hockey. "

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mudtiger @ 08/01/08 01:10 AM
Not a bad read at psx extreme, but I think I've been hyped enough with previews, time for EA to start putting out some actual gameplay vids showing off the new stuff - forechecking, bad passes, hitting, fighting, better defense, etc. considering we're closing in on 4 weeks left to release.

# 2 Qb @ 08/01/08 08:10 AM
Not sure what to make of the "extending the stick" comment either. I assume that they're talking about the poke check, but I never really encountered that as an exploit. I know that I used it a lot on the PK in an attempt to block passing lanes, but with the mechanic where you couldn't really skate freely while doing this, I thought that there was a decent balance. Not to mention all the tripping calls you encounter by leaving your stick out there...

DISCLAIMER: I don't think that I even played one ranked online game (aside from OTP if that counts), so I'm really not the guy to comment on cheesing or exploits.

# 3 Lubey @ 08/01/08 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Not sure what to make of the "extending the stick" comment either. I assume that they're talking about the poke check, but I never really encountered that as an exploit. I know that I used it a lot on the PK in an attempt to block passing lanes, but with the mechanic where you couldn't really skate freely while doing this, I thought that there was a decent balance. Not to mention all the tripping calls you encounter by leaving your stick out there...

DISCLAIMER: I don't think that I even played one ranked online game (aside from OTP if that counts), so I'm really not the guy to comment on cheesing or exploits.
I assumed it meant how when you are on offense, and push the skill stick to one side they can just glide like that forever and checks never really do much to knock them off the puck.

# 4 ColdForged @ 08/01/08 05:14 PM
Didn't realize it was exploitable. Every time I tried to hold the puck away from the defender like that I'd get leveled with a hip check. Then again, I really only play single-player so I don't know what the multiplayer exploits are.

# 5 ColdForged @ 08/01/08 07:24 PM
The only thing I can think of is they're referring to the defensive stick sweep. In NHL08 you can sweep the stick around and skate around like a moron -- not a skating motion, but more of a position like you're poke-checking except you can move anywhere and even skate around the rink -- which looked funny if nothing else.

# 6 Qb @ 08/05/08 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubey
I assumed it meant how when you are on offense, and push the skill stick to one side they can just glide like that forever and checks never really do much to knock them off the puck.
Perhaps this is what the writer meant. As I said, since I stay away from the ranked crowd, I don't see a lot of the cheese that others might. This does remind me of something that crossed my mind while playing NHL 08 online against mkharsh (great game BTW, but what was up with our defense? 7-6? Yeesh!) the other night -- How about the ability to deke & skate at close to full speed for players with a high (maybe 85-90+) deking rating?

The gliding mechanic could be used for lower-skilled players and the player's speed while deking could increase proportionately with their ability. Most, if not all, NHL players can pull off some moves at slow speeds, but the greats (Crosby, Ovechkin, et al) can do it a full-speed. That's part of what makes them great offensive talents to begin with...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.