quickly, and from far out. You will now have to be more conservative
when shooting on the rush. If you aim all the way to the left or right,
your shot will go wide a lot more. Try aiming more towards the middle to
hit the net from outside. This fixes the cross goal where you shoot back
the other way, and the goal that goes in with the "curve" animation, and
a few others. There's a reason NHL players don't shoot from outside on
the rush very often. Dumping or trying to set up is a better play unless
you have an odd-man situation.

We reduced the time it took to get control of the goalie by 1/3.

When line changes are set to auto, and a user changes
lines/defense manually between whistles, the line/defensive pair you
asked for will come out (or stay out).

If you have line changes off in Be a Pro, line change player
chatter will be turned off.

When using a defenseman in BAP, BAP player won't get stuck on
the bench and will be able to call for change

The EASHL will now go to continuous 5v5 overtime until one team
scores. This way nobody has to sit out, and you get to decide who wins
(this is now just like the NHL Play-offs)

The proper own-goal cut scene will be shown where the player who
scored on himself is upset.

All cut scenes should now show players sitting in their
respective team's bench.

Increase AI team aggressiveness and the likelihood of them
getting called for a penalty on an infraction.

If Vision Control is pressed, you do not throw a hit when in
front of the attacking net. This helps with rebound shots.
Increase the likelihood of a penalty if the stick hits the body
during a stick lift.

Reduce the accuracy of shots for penalty shots and shootouts.
Aiming for just inside the post is a lot tougher now.
Just got prompted for an update. Have been trying things out, the most telling thing to me that I immediately tried out was the dump height, which after my d/l is different than before. Also, puck physics seem quite a bit different in a good way.

EDIT: It's the patch alright. Checked out the always up controls, dekeing is fixed. Unfortunately shot aim is still not correct.

EDIT: I don't know what some people were talking about in regards to shot accuracy being a problem. As long as you're shooting from a good platform the accuracy is just as good as before, some shots even seem to be better quality. You just can't be an idiot and shoot while skating full speed on the rush and expect to hot the net. Also whoever said this game was much better on SS post-patch was absolutely right. It's not even close, SS is fantastic after the patch. Haven't had any stupid goals or seen the cpu one-timer crazy. Can't wait to see what QB and some of the others have to say about this.

Edited by Millennium for front page posting. Good Job, Bad!

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Battman @ 11/14/08 07:20 PM
After another 4 hours NHL 09, this time with a XBOX360.
I am more and more frustrated.

I based my decision to buy this game on the demo version an on the 360-final version which my friend bought.
I would have never bought this game with the patch 1.1-version.
Now I own a game, which cost me 69 euro and after tonights experience I totally lost interest in playing this game again. I was forced into a patch which ruins the playability:

It is simply impossible to score from the distance!
All goals result from situations in or near the crease.
So if you try to make combinations and find an open shot your chances of suceeding are limited. If you play a dull "attack the goalie" game and "shoot in the crease - occasionally the goalie will miss it" you succeed. I lost today against to players who got absolutely no game. I created open shots and really had one of my better days. But I could hardly score. My oppenent deeked into the offensive zone, rarely succeeded in doing so. But a few times he came through, attacked the goalie - no deke or virtuous stickhandling there - just simple ""run and gun". He scored twice, I scored once. An in the second game again. 2:1 for the opponent.
Sorry, but that is crap!

Even worse ist the 2-player-game vs. online opponents. My best friend and I gave it up today, because if your opponent doesn't play for the first time you have no chance at all to win. The passing is b****. The CPU seems to get confused with the passing if two players play one time. You aim to the right and the puck goes down the middle, directly to your opponent.
You lose nearly every single poke-check-duel against the 1-player online opponent. The one-timers are just a matter of luck if you hit air or the puck. They totally lack control.

This was my XBOX360 experience, which ist - and that's the worst of all flaws - is still 10 times better than the patched PS3-version (which I own)!!

In the PS3-version the goalie is dumb as hell and regularly lies down with no reason. This does not happen in the XBOX 360 version.

Even worse, there is a cheese for the attack-the-goalie-game in the PS3-version. Just turn sharp left in the crease to fool the goalie and score. This cheese doesn't seem to work for the XBOX360, because nobody suceeded in doing so on this system. In the PS3-version it works on a regular basis.

I'm done with the game until EA decides to patch this patch.
If that doesn't happen I will sell the game and play NHL 08 again. Because NHL 08 is by far better than NHL 09 with patch 1.1.

# 102 Battman @ 11/14/08 07:25 PM
What I totally forgot:

We played an online-game (XBOX). After approx. 5 Minutes in the quarter the game all of a sudden restarted with the opening face-off. After a few minutes into the quarter it restarted again at 20:00 an face-off. That happened another 3 times before I ended the game.
Anyone else with this problem?

# 103 ChiTownKid @ 11/14/08 07:58 PM
It's driving me crazy that a game I loved has turned into a game that I hate, all because of a patch that was supposed to IMPROVE it.

# 104 catcatch22 @ 11/14/08 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic78
ive scored goals from the point with girardi mara and redden in the game through screens and without and tricklers and clean goals. i have shot power and accuracy at both at 3 .
I have as well post patch, however there were people complaining they could not score from the point pre patch as well so go figure.

The problem for me is the AI on superstar is not a challenge for me even with shot accuracy at 3 and shot power at 3. They can't score against me post patch like they could pre-patch. That is the only problem I am having post patch.

# 105 ohyeahbaby123 @ 11/14/08 08:25 PM
I don't know why everyone is upset goals are scored in the crease... Most goals are scored that way in real hockey. And I have scored from clean point shots, but shot power has to be at 3 and the goalie needs to be screened.

# 106 Franchizz @ 11/14/08 08:43 PM
What has me frustrated is on Superstar I cannot score whatsoever. The goalie either makes the perfect save or the players pokecheck, hit, whatever as I setup in the slot or near the crease. Now this would be fine if it was occasional or even for a couple games however thus far it has been in every single game I have played. Meanwhile Crosby beat Price top shelf with barely the space of a tennis ball to work; Malkin did the same in the following period.

I of course have a beauty of a shot stoned by Fleury. The only goal he finally let in was a dirty five hole Laperrie was fortunate to tuck in after the rebound. Is it my inability to play Superstar - I was beginning to play on SS prior to the patch - or is the AI this ridiculous for everyone and thus sliders are a necessity? Tips would be extremely appreciated because this is unbelieveably furastrating.

Edit: I am beginning to wonder if this patch was meant purely for online play, essentially screwing though who prefer Dynasty.

# 107 original6 @ 11/14/08 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
I haven't bought a hockey game yet this year. So after this patch, do you guys recommend NHL 09 or NHL 2K9?
Rent them both and make a decision. If you want my opinion though, neither is that great. Both have serious flaws that keep me from maintaining any kind of interest in continuing to play them. If choosing between the lesser of two evils, I'd go with 2k9 only because of the goalies and goal variety.

# 108 JKidd10 @ 11/14/08 11:53 PM
What flaws are you talking about O6?

# 109 original6 @ 11/15/08 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd10
What flaws are you talking about O6?
Which game?

# 110 bad_philanthropy @ 11/15/08 05:03 AM
I think the patch is growing on me. The cpu has a hell of a time with trap teams, but against teams that play a more wide open style they can hold their own on SS.

For people having trouble scoring, if you aren't shooting from a good platform (ie with time at the top of the circle, or in the slot, a nice soft one-time pass with your player squared up for it, etc...), try to use the left stick more than the right stick to get the puck moving from side to side, it has a much greater effect getting the goalie to move and be in a less comitted position to face a shot.

It's difficult to explain but try to set up your right stick dekes with left stick movements.

# 111 nyr30 @ 11/15/08 10:53 AM
The AI in this game is just horrible, anything good about this game is wiped away by the fact that the AI is beyond stupid. EA could have a fantastic game if the AI was up to par with everything else.

In BAP the AI really doesnt know what it wants to do with itself, the mind set is give the user the puck no matter what. The defense just doesnt do anything it backs away until you are right on your goalies doorstep.

You spend the whole game trying to cover AI mistakes rather than trying to play your position as one of the team, its like it puposely doesnt try to stop plays as to make the user have to do something which you shouldnt be.

The Offense is much the same, having to come back and do the defense job because you know it wont. What i have noticed on dump ins is everytime is just about the same, the AI will dump the puck in the Dman cant get the puck under control the forward steals the puck then goes to the net.

The user team vary rarily wins the battles in the corners which i have noticed happpens in Dynasty as well. It needs to be less geared towards the AI's advantage thats why i said in a previous thread that with EA looking to implement more board play i think it may turn out to be a shambles. Imagine the AI advantage the way it is just now and then add to that constantly losing the board battles then the game will just be beyond frustration.

Of course this is on Superstar and as others have mentioned with the game feeling like it is already scripted when you are going to lose it isnt going to make it much fun unless the AI is much improved.

Just my opinion.

# 112 ohyeahbaby123 @ 11/15/08 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr30
The AI in this game is just horrible, anything good about this game is wiped away by the fact that the AI is beyond stupid. EA could have a fantastic game if the AI was up to par with everything else.

In BAP the AI really doesnt know what it wants to do with itself, the mind set is give the user the puck no matter what. The defense just doesnt do anything it backs away until you are right on your goalies doorstep.

You spend the whole game trying to cover AI mistakes rather than trying to play your position as one of the team, its like it puposely doesnt try to stop plays as to make the user have to do something which you shouldnt be.

The Offense is much the same, having to come back and do the defense job because you know it wont. What i have noticed on dump ins is everytime is just about the same, the AI will dump the puck in the Dman cant get the puck under control the forward steals the puck then goes to the net.

The user team vary rarily wins the battles in the corners which i have noticed happpens in Dynasty as well. It needs to be less geared towards the AI's advantage thats why i said in a previous thread that with EA looking to implement more board play i think it may turn out to be a shambles. Imagine the AI advantage the way it is just now and then add to that constantly losing the board battles then the game will just be beyond frustration.

Of course this is on Superstar and as others have mentioned with the game feeling like it is already scripted when you are going to lose it isnt going to make it much fun unless the AI is much improved.

Just my opinion.
I never have had problems w/ gaining loose pucks... in the corner, just lift the stick on the forward and take the puck, or just level them into the boards.

# 113 nyr30 @ 11/15/08 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahbaby123
I never have had problems w/ gaining loose pucks... in the corner, just lift the stick on the forward and take the puck, or just level them into the boards.

I lift the stick but the Cpu always comes out with it thats why i have started to leave the puck then cream the guy that gets it, when i did stick lift its not effective, its definitely not as effective as the Cpu.

Its undecisive, in fact that is how i would describe the AI as a whole, undecisive. Things like if you take a penalty and there is a loose puck but you cant collect it straight away, its like there is a delay. Its either to give the advantage to the other team to get a man on or it just doesnt react quick enough.

Its little things like this that spoil the game for me, Modes like BAP are great ideas but to make them play great i think the AI needs a lot of work.

# 114 JKidd10 @ 11/15/08 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
Which game?
Both games

# 115 BumbaObutuu @ 11/15/08 06:45 PM
I don't really have the time to read all the posts concerning the new patch, so I just have a quick question:

1-My PS3 isn't plugged online, so I haven't had the patch automatically installed. Is it possible to download the patch, put it on my key and saving it to my PS3??

Thanks for the help!

# 116 bjackets @ 11/15/08 08:29 PM
The problem with all EA sports games through out their history is that the same logic is built into all of them.

EA puts the same theoretic cheats into all their sports games instead of making the different levels play smarter to make them more competitive.....because it's easier (albeit cheap) and it's proven to be successful for them.

At the core of all their sports games is the same basic engine...once it does well for one sport that same engine and formula is then ported to all the others.

Think about it....the same comeback logic, rating boosts or decreases, etc are in all their games and they take effect predictably in the same situations across the board.

This is done to keep costs down so that you don't have to actually create different core engines for the different sports. It's far less work and cost effective to have one core sports engine and build everything else around it for the different sports.

EA finds an engine that works (ie big money maker) then ports these core elements across the board. Yes it is a very lazy way to do things but it's also been extremely profitable for them so why change?

That is why slider adjustments never help out enough in any of EA's games. These same issues that you see over and over again are hard coded into the their basic sports engine and can't be changed by sliders or a patch.

ohiost

# 117 zudatron @ 11/17/08 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackets
This is done to keep costs down so that you don't have to actually create different core engines for the different sports. It's far less work and cost effective to have one core sports engine and build everything else around it for the different sports.
What would you say goes into this "core" engine besides catch up logic?

# 118 original6 @ 11/17/08 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd10
Both games
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2038907267

Here ya go. Between my opinions and those of others who've posted in that thread, you should get a good idea of both games' flaws.

# 119 tabulaRasa @ 11/18/08 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I think the patch is growing on me. The cpu has a hell of a time with trap teams, but against teams that play a more wide open style they can hold their own on SS.

For people having trouble scoring, if you aren't shooting from a good platform (ie with time at the top of the circle, or in the slot, a nice soft one-time pass with your player squared up for it, etc...), try to use the left stick more than the right stick to get the puck moving from side to side, it has a much greater effect getting the goalie to move and be in a less comitted position to face a shot.

It's difficult to explain but try to set up your right stick dekes with left stick movements.
This patch suck. If you think moneygoals are over, think again, you just have to discover them again, already I have found worse moneygoals than before, going side 5-hole, s-move from the boards and shot closest top shelf etc. THe only difference now, is that you can defy traffic with whatever deke, and that 90% of all goals are close crease goals or dekes.

IF anything pre patch required more tactics, more need to be creative in your passing, less time to freak deke around and overall it was more realistic as a whole. Sure the aiming was a bit too good, but now itīs lame, and the combination of lacking skill work defensivly and the uberdeke power and lame aim, all make scoring based around the crease online.

Online is the only way to really see the pros and cons of a sport game since online players find and exploit all thatīs in the game. Cpus donīt.

And for the record still on a winning streak, itīs just gone from being a good sequel to being a NHL08 mimic, where skill was second to "fun dekes and traffic defying poop".

# 120 catcatch22 @ 11/18/08 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
This patch suck. If you think moneygoals are over, think again, you just have to discover them again, already I have found worse moneygoals than before, going side 5-hole, s-move from the boards and shot closest top shelf etc. THe only difference now, is that you can defy traffic with whatever deke, and that 90% of all goals are close crease goals or dekes.

IF anything pre patch required more tactics, more need to be creative in your passing, less time to freak deke around and overall it was more realistic as a whole. Sure the aiming was a bit too good, but now itīs lame, and the combination of lacking skill work defensivly and the uberdeke power and lame aim, all make scoring based around the crease online.

Online is the only way to really see the pros and cons of a sport game since online players find and exploit all thatīs in the game. Cpus donīt.

And for the record still on a winning streak, itīs just gone from being a good sequel to being a NHL08 mimic, where skill was second to "fun dekes and traffic defying poop".
I don't agree cause all the cheap goals that you mention that people are using now were there pre patch as well. However these cheap movements can be stopped since they have to get near the net.

As for the uber deking I simply get in front and put the stick down and they lose the puck everytime or don't go kamikaze and try to hit everyone.

As for the s moves from the boards all you have to do is stand there and wait and when they come back over the goal line put the sitck down and they lose the puck again and again.

You can defend these tactics. If you are winning game in and game out then why are you complaining? Is it because you can only score this way yourself? I have scored many different ways so I am not sure what has been limited. I've scored from distance and in close without having to resort to anything cheap.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.