Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I set weapon icons and any/all other graphical options all to off by default (like the weapons, icon hints, big pre-play controls menu, etc). So now when you play Madden 'out of the box', it looks ultra clean and pristine. To everyone I showed, they sort of breathed a sigh of relief when looking at it...just "pure football" again. The only thing you see is the score bug (which has been redesigned from 09 btw and I think pretty much everyone will dig it).

But before we ship it like that...what do you guys think? Do you prefer it that way? Do you use the pre-play menu? For our mass amount of buyers, do you think they need the helpers like the icons, weapons, pre-play menu, etc?

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 IXI DECAY IXI @ 02/06/09 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Wow, I am surprised I am in the minority on this one. I need those icons/menus! I have been playing Madden since 2003 and am still learning new things up to this day.

Pre-play has so many options/functions, I am not sure who in their right mind could keep those straight. I don't use all of them, but it's nice to have a reminder for when I am in the menus (especially when "B" backs out on one and "RB" cancels in another lol. What I would like to see here is a minimization of the menu. Think Madden 06-07 360 except have them even closer to the screen's edge.

I also like the weapons icons because they let me know who other team's playmakers are. I would hate to lose the option to see who's who pre play.

I am interested in a clean look for 2010, but I think it could be accomplished be redesigning the pre-play menus and weapon icons. I really like the "Star" icons in NCAA Football as the represent a star player, but don't have a black background that's distracting. Take a look at how these were done and implement it in Madden.
He is not saying you would have to go without them. It's just the first time you turn your game on, go in options, change it and boom your set.

I liked the idea of you bringing up the stars from NCAA. That is very clean, simple, and too the point. Good thought...

# 22 djordan @ 02/06/09 10:55 PM
good job............

# 23 mastershake88 @ 02/06/09 10:59 PM
the madden democracy..this is the first madden for the people by the people...I cant believe this has become the gaming democracy..thats all i got to say I find interests in this man...you guys got my money right now.

# 24 DTown @ 02/06/09 11:04 PM
I like them off as well... One little thing. I notice that a lot of other users like the coach camera as much as I do. I was just wondering if you could somehow have different camera angles presnap? Like a real T.V presentation... Then as the ball is snaped we go to the normal view. Once the HB is handed the ball or the QB passes the ball can we have the camera zoom in on them so that you can see the jukes, stiff arms and tackles more clearly? Maybe watch the sweat fly from their helmets on spins and big hits? With your new PA or whatever it is called as the man with the ball falls to the ground it would be cool to see him squint or grimace.
This would add to the clean football feel.

# 25 cdon2k @ 02/06/09 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXI DECAY IXI
He is not saying you would have to go without them. It's just the first time you turn your game on, go in options, change it and boom your set.

I liked the idea of you bringing up the stars from NCAA. That is very clean, simple, and too the point. Good thought...
Thanks, I would love to see something like the stars done in Madden...

But to the point of making these features an option, that's how it starts... First it's a feature, then it's an option, and then it is gone, think vision cone.

# 26 DTown @ 02/06/09 11:11 PM
Then when the player gets up he can either look shook up or start talking smack...

# 27 Obelysk @ 02/06/09 11:28 PM
I personally like the weapon Icons, as long as you allow us to turn them back on I will be fine. Thanks!!!

# 28 Cusefan @ 02/06/09 11:43 PM
Ideas like these are exactly why Ian is going to change Madden Football for the better.

# 29 Joborule @ 02/06/09 11:47 PM
I like games that look as clean as possible. I think the type of consumers that really need those icons would be users on the Rookie and maybe Pro level, because they would be trying to figure out the controls and get the feel of the game. So those pre-play options should only show on Beginner and I suppose Intermediate levels and then be hidden and left for option for Advance levels.

# 30 PioneerRaptor @ 02/06/09 11:55 PM
Considering Ian said the masses, which is casual gamers. I don't care how much you argue or not, but hardcore gamers are definitely outnumbered.

Anyways, weapon icons definitely aren't needed, that doesn't help you in any way. However, the only thing I could see being on by default is the Pre-Play Menu. Because the masses will need those, I even turn it on every once in awhile.

However, the Pre-Play menu should specifically be about audibling and changing your offense, we don't need to know how to hike and quiet the crowd, etc.

Not to mention, it's never really in the way, I usually keep it on but push in the R-Stick so it's there when I need it, and I can just click the stick again.

Again, I can see most of the masses needing this.

# 31 scott209 @ 02/07/09 12:09 AM
I say take them off i always thought the weapons where a bad idea.I think a clean look is big step 4 madden

# 32 DLaren @ 02/07/09 12:16 AM
I would be more inclined to leave the "weapons" icons on if your team would be so kind as to make them look less invasive.

In franchise mode, once you're five or six years in, there are a lot of new players on the field. So it helps to have icons on-field so that I can quickly identify what each generated-player specializes in.

Maybe the brightly colored "weapons" icons could be made transparent or possibly dimmed-down a bit so that they don't pose as much of a distraction.

# 33 bowdown2shadi @ 02/07/09 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
I would be more inclined to leave the "weapons" icons on if your team would be so kind as to make them look less invasive.

In franchise mode, once you're five or six years in, there are a lot of new players on the field. So it helps to have icons on-field so that I can quickly identify what each generated-player specializes in.

Maybe the brightly colored "weapons" icons could be made transparent or possibly dimmed-down a bit so that they don't pose as much of a distraction.
I like that idea.
Maybe have it blend in with the grass under.

# 34 Bgamer90 @ 02/07/09 12:54 AM
I think you should set it on for the people that play on rookie and pro but they should be off for the people that play on all-pro and all-madden. But yeah I'm cool with dropping the icons. I already know the go-to guys when I play (though as someone else mentioned, you sometimes may not know the go to guys in franchise).

But anyways Ian, could you give any details about the new score bug? Is it bigger and/or different color?

# 35 Ian_Cummings @ 02/07/09 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
But anyways Ian, could you give any details about the new score bug? Is it bigger and/or different color?
It's 100% more awesome.

# 36 Jono078 @ 02/07/09 02:56 AM
I like the sound of these changes.

As long as you can still press R3 (PS3) to bring up the pre snap menu im all good with it not showing to start with.

With weapons im happy to turn them off myself.

But I do suggest if you have weapon icons on you only show 3 per team as default, gets a bit cluttered and useless when you see half the defence/offense with weapons.

# 37 Bgamer90 @ 02/07/09 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
It's 100% more awesome.
Sweet... lol.

Here's to hoping it has a real-time sports ticker

# 38 Exonerated @ 02/07/09 03:31 AM
Imo. Default on is more sensible.

Hardcores know how to turn this stuff on, and it takes like 2 seconds.

But for the first time or newer players, they're gonna fked trying find how to turn the hints on.

New players may not know the game has hints, weapons, etc. And they're have a harder (vs the hardcore turning it off) trying to turn stuff on.

So leave them default on, everyone who wants em off has no trouble turning them off.

Everyone who wants them on, will be confused and throw the game out the window.

# 39 IXI DECAY IXI @ 02/07/09 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Imo. Default on is more sensible.

Hardcores know how to turn this stuff on, and it takes like 2 seconds.

But for the first time or newer players, they're gonna fked trying find how to turn the hints on.

New players may not know the game has hints, weapons, etc. And they're have a harder (vs the hardcore turning it off) trying to turn stuff on.

So leave them default on, everyone who wants em off has no trouble turning them off.

Everyone who wants them on, will be confused and throw the game out the window.
I really like the point your making. It really sums this argument up! I mean, most of us are all hardcore gamers on this site. So of course we are all gonna say turn them off.

But it will take us MUCH LESS TIME to just turn them off than it would for a new player to find the stuff.

If your a hardcore gamer like me, then your gonna go straight to settings anyways and up the difficulty to at leas All-Pro for the first game along with upping the Quarters. So while I'm there, then I have no problem turning them off.

One idea I know should be done, is that Weapons and Pre-Play should be seperated. Like if a USER wants to have weapons on but pre-play off, then he should be able to do that or vice-versa.

# 40 jvaccaro @ 02/07/09 07:43 AM
good work Ian... this will help with the immersion factor.

and yes, less is more -- and this clean look will be an improvement

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.